• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Family Questions & Dismisses My Sensitive Hearing..

I love Beethoven and one of my first purchases as an adult was the Pittsburgh Symphony collection of all nine.

Enjoyed it until the climatic portion of the Ninth, when I heard ONE note from ONE violin being... off. Drove me nuts and I had to give it away.

No one else could hear it. Turned out, I'm not musically talented, but I do have perfect pitch.

I love Beethoven and one of my first purchases as an adult was the Pittsburgh Symphony collection of all nine.

Enjoyed it until the climatic portion of the Ninth, when I heard ONE note from ONE violin being... off. Drove me nuts and I had to give it away.

No one else could hear it. Turned out, I'm not musically talented, but I do have perfect pitch.

I have a light-up Casio piano that I play every now and then. I taught myself how to play. I like to set it to organ. My two favorites are Reed Organ and Pipe Organ. I can also play Moonlight Sonata. In have the songbook, and I can read notes. I mostly play classical music and the Tetris video game soundtracks.

People always assume I enjoy all classical music, but 99% of the music I like is just the piano. Most classical music without piano is as dull to me as it is to the general public.

People always assume I enjoy all classical music, but 99% of the music I like is just the piano. Most classical music without piano is as dull to me as it is to the general public.

Same here. When I was in maybe the 5th or 6th grade, the teacher played a classical piece on the smart board, and one student was like "there go yo song". I was like "Actually I never heard this before, and that doesn't mean I like it just because it's classical." Well, I don't remember exactly what I said, but I was thinking this.

I just want to know why I can tolerate some noises like burning desire (look up robot unicorn attack lava world) playing in my ears through headphones but not a cabinet closing. At first, I was unable to tolerate even that music, but I had to start using it to block out the loud house of the car's engine, and now my ears can tolerate it. My mother was then questioning why I can't do that with every other noise like the loud cabinets closing or the clattering of ice when she takes it out the fridge. I had no answer. I can't stand it when I have to answer to that! It's times like this where I wish I was just born deaf!!! At least, I wouldn't have to suffer from the Hell I'm living in! I'll never know or understand why some noises don't bother me, and I'll never get help! No one will help me because they don't understand why some noises I make are more tolerable than anything else! When I first got cursed with sensitive hearing and didn't know why, I was thinking about making an attempt to just stick something in my ear and end it all! To just end my oversensitive hearing! I can't take it!

Now it's gotten worse, and everybody's blaming my earplugs, but I can't take them out! When I take them out, even the slightest noise or hum of the air vent will torture the hell out of me! (Sorry for the language, but I'm in distress here!) How can anyone live like this!? I can't! There's no way out except death, but I'm trapped because suicide is wrong, illegal, and just way too heartbreaking, and I'm too much of a wuss to do something to harm myself, even so slightly as to just cut myself like stereotypical depressed teens do. I cannot do it. But my hearing gets worse and worse the longer I live! I just can't do it! All I can do is wait until God decides to spare me anymore torture and take me away...

Two different brands of earmuffs didn't work, earplugs don't work, pink noise didn't work, all of it is just a hoax! My life is just one big curse! Even if therapy would help (which I doubt it would), when are we gonna find the time to go up there!? And how am I gonna get there without having to drive the car of torture to get up there!? It's possible that in probably never getting my car back, and I'm gonna be stuck with that torture machine forever!

Since your earmuffs and other sound deadening tactics didn’t work, I am wondering if it’s NOT your ears. It might be how your BRAIN interprets these sounds. Like the nerves are not firing right somehow, or otherwise distorting the information they are trying to interpret and pass on.

I recommend this article:

Magnesium and Sensitive Hearing

Since your earmuffs and other sound deadening tactics didn’t work, I am wondering if it’s NOT your ears. It might be how your BRAIN interprets these sounds. Like the nerves are not firing right somehow, or otherwise distorting the information they are trying to interpret and pass on.

I recommend this article:

Magnesium and Sensitive Hearing

I mean, I know that my brain inputs it, but the problem is that I can tolerate some noises better than others.

I just want to know why I can tolerate some noises like burning desire (look up robot unicorn attack lava world) playing in my ears through headphones but not a cabinet closing. At first, I was unable to tolerate even that music, but I had to start using it to block out the loud house of the car's engine, and now my ears can tolerate it. My mother was then questioning why I can't do that with every other noise like the loud cabinets closing or the clattering of ice when she takes it out the fridge. I had no answer.
It's about being in control. It is much easier to control noise that you have control over than noise you can't control. Your music is noise, but it's your noise, you are in charge and can regulate it. The vacuum cleaner or fridge ice is invading noise that you can't control, so harder to tolerate.

It's about being in control. It is much easier to control noise that you have control over than noise you can't control. Your music is noise, but it's your noise, you are in charge and can relgulate it. The vacuum cleaner or fridge ice is invading nise that you can't control, so harder to tolerate.
My mother says that I make the same noise I can't stand. She says she's telling me what they're seeing, but it's making me sound like a hypocrite. Like she and my aunt said that they could hear me laughing from my room, and that was compared to me being unable to tolerate my brother's high-pitched voice when he's just talking. She says I'm louder than him, and I say I'm not. I'm not as high-pitched as that boy. She brings up the fact that I screech every time a loud noise happens, and of course, because I'm in pain! She still thinks I only tolerate what I like, and that's not true! Even stuff I watch, I have to turn it down because of a high noise. She then tells me that the TV is blasting all the time. But when I bring up people online or people who know about disabilities who ACTUALLY understand me, she denies that because she thinks I'm trusting strangers more than my family. She says my family is trying to help, but what are they doing? Pointing out and assuming I only tolerate what I like isn't helping at all. It's just hurting more. This talk was last night.. Today, I'm gonna have to drive the torture car all the way to my college class for my final exam... I already know the torture I'm gonna endear.. If only this wasn't my only mode of transportation...

This is why, were it me in this position, I would be working on how my brain interprets this, not on what my ears hear.

You can’t find anything that muffles the sound enough for your to tolerate, so it is not your hearing itself?

This is why, were it me in this position, I would be working on how my brain interprets this, not on what my ears hear.

You can’t find anything that muffles the sound enough for your to tolerate, so it is not your hearing itself?
No, but I doubt just putting myself in a bunch of loud noises and torturing myself would get me "desensitized". A lot of autistics I see on YouTube just have ear defenders, and they seem to live life perfectly with those. I just don't know why they won't help to me.. Maybe I am cursed.

Start with supplementing with some for of chelated magnesium. This is used in 300 different chemical/electrical sequences in the body, and most people are far too low.

If you don't mind soaking in a tub, try that with Epsom salts. It's a source of magnesium, and that's why people soak in it.

No, but I doubt just putting myself in a bunch of loud noises and torturing myself would get me "desensitized".
I was going to suggest this as well. Sometimes if you get yourself used to extreme noise you stop noticing small noise.

Like people from New York they just get used to high noise level and then it does not bother them anywhere they go. Your problem your from province and its mostly quiet no constant ambient noise to train you.

I was going to suggest this as well. Sometimes if you get yourself used to extreme noise you stop noticing small noise.

Like people from New York they just get used to high noise level and then it does not bother them anywhere they go. Your problem your from province and its mostly quiet no constant ambient noise to train you.

Extreme noise doesn't help, either, because even when I'm tortured by the loudest noises (like the lawn mower or the car engine), I'm still very sensitive to smaller noises, if not more.

IMHO you will not notice results same day you got to keep trying constantly expose yourself to more and more noise for longer periods of time. Its like workout in gym takes time to see results.

Say listen to your favorite music hour a day at 10% volume then next day 20% and every day increase volume and duration.

IMHO you will not notice results same day you got to keep trying constantly expose yourself to more and more noise for longer periods of time. Its like workout in gym takes time to see results.

Say listen to your favorite music hour a day at 10% volume then next day 20% and every day increase volume and duration.

It can possibly happen with music, but that's not gonna work on noises I can't control.

Hello,
I feel bad for you that this condition makes your life so hard...
But at the same time I have to thank you for this post because I had never heard about misophonia before but now I have an explanation for what I feel when I hear certain sounds.

The first time I remember feeling very strange with a sound ( or at least recognise the cause) I was about 11 years old and I just felt like running away, and I did, whenever my grandmother would sigh...and she was doing this a lot...I just couldn´t stand it, but at the same time what could I say? It is silly no, to ask our grandmother to stop sighing, so I just started to avoid her until the day she moved out of the house...I grew up thinking that I must be a very bad person to feel this way about someone who loves me, and I can not imagine how sad she must have been without understanding the reason for my distance...

In this moment I am going through the same thing with some people, and whenever I see them I start thinking where to run away without them noticing (how sad), but by knowing this about misophonia I can start rewiring my brain or something like that and remember that nobody is to blame, I just need to find a better solution.

So thank you, I hope my post makes you feel better in some way!:)

Finally, a break from driving the torture machine! The car has a problem with the oil as the oil symbol kept blinking, and the car kept shifting gears back down towards 1 instead of staying at 4. Tomorrow would be my brother's last day until Christmas break, but he doesn't have to go, and that means I don't have to drive and be tortured!

New Threads

Top Bottom