• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Question why some people call me a savant

Oz67

Due to my symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorder, why do some people think that I am a savant? I am not a savant, I just am very intelligent in my restricted interests.

Savantism is a bit more specific than accrued knowledge on limited topics. It is prodigy level talent with things like music, math, puzzles, dates, numbers, eidetic memory, perfect pitch, etc...

It is an innate skill set hardwired into the brain, unaffected by other learning or intellectual disabilities. Most people don't understand the difference between autism and savantism, which can be associated with autism, but is not exclusive to the neurodivergence. Savantism is a separate, but often comorbid divergence.

Due to my symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorder, why do some people think that I am a savant? I am not a savant, I just am very intelligent in my restricted interests.
In a single word? That's both easy and tragic IMO.

- Hollywood. The result of living in a world where the masses embrace pop culture over science or medicine.

Where you can't be identified as merely being autistic and/or having OCD, but rather that we are a "Rain Main", or "Sheldon", "Dr. Shaun"....or something along such lines the masses can relate to. Even when it is profoundly not the case.

Though in all fairness to the masses, autism itself is anything but simple to understand.

Last edited:
They might call you savant because you are very intelligent to your interests.
They don't understand what savant mean.
But it's way better to call you savant than stupid.

Savant Syndrome is the consequence --albeit a beneficial one-- of a specific brain injury. (IIRC, it is the left temporal lobe.) As such, it is a possible co-morbid to autism.

General giftedness seems to arise from a different mechanism, though autism is represented more frequently among gifteds than it is among non-gifteds, usually as ASD1.

New Threads

Top Bottom