• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Question for non-Christians...

Greatshield17

Claritas Prayer Group#9435
What are your thoughts and reaction to a Christian praying for you, and how does it play out in your own Theological, Cosmological and/or Psychological worldview?

Just wondering.

I think people who go around telling you they're praying for you (especially knowing that you don't share their religious beliefs, although "I'm praying for you" can also be an effective way to subtly declare that you're a better person of faith than the other guy) are just passive-aggressive assholes. I might roll my eyes, but otherwise I don't think much about them. What they do is just a minor irritant, not something to lose sleep over.

I think people who go around telling you they're praying for you (especially knowing that you don't share their religious beliefs, although "I'm praying for you" can also be an effective way to subtly declare that you're a better person of faith than the other guy) are just passive-aggressive assholes. I might roll my eyes, but otherwise I don't think much about them. What they do is just a minor irritant, not something to lose sleep over.

I'm Christian now, but I wasn't always, and I pretty much saw it that way. Heck, even as a Christian, I still see it this way. But it depends...

If I'm ill, in an accident, going through major life changes and someone says they are praying for me, I see it (and have always seen it) as a good thing, a sign of caring, etc. I've always appreciated it.

If we disagree on something, or they're trying to convert me to their particular brand of Christianity, or they don't like who I am for some reason and they say "I'll pray for you" I see it exactly the way Selena described.

I'm Christian now, but I wasn't always, and I pretty much saw it that way. Heck, even as a Christian, I still see it this way. But it depends...

If I'm ill, in an accident, going through major life changes and someone says they are praying for me, I see it (and have always seen it) as a good thing, a sign of caring, etc. I've always appreciated it.

If we disagree on something, or they're trying to convert me to their particular brand of Christianity, or they don't like who I am for some reason and they say "I'll pray for you" I see it exactly the way Selena described.
What are your thoughts regarding prayer’s effectiveness?

I see it in the same way that I saw my New Age designer religion mother when she decided to put crystals all over my bedroom to “soak up my negative energy”. I could have responded by putting a boulder in her bedroom.

What are your thoughts and reaction to a Christian praying for you, and how does it play out in your own Theological, Cosmological and/or Psychological worldview?

Just wondering.

It can be provacative. I think xians tend to be one way street spiritually. It is a statement often intended to be the missionaries ice breaker, next comes prosletyzing(sp?).
Xians are typically stuck up about thier godtrip, like eager to talk about how a 2000 yr old book is relevant to me, but not receptive to anything else. Maybe i have just met wierd ones who cant stop being all preachy, idk

In theory it is a beautiful thing to say that you remember me to your god, but would you recieve it well in kind? **redacted**

Last edited:

I see it in the same way that I saw my New Age designer religion mother when she decided to put crystals all over my bedroom to “soak up my negative energy”. I could have responded by putting a boulder in her bedroom.
How would the context affect people’s reactions, such as after discussion, after a debate, or seeing Catholics at a Rosary rally praying for the conversion for certain group of people (like a town, region, or nation) that you fall under; among other contexts?

It is a statement often intended to be the missionaries ice breaker, next comes prosletyzing(sp?).
What does “sp” mean?
In theory it is a beautiful thing to say that you remember me to your god, but would you recieve it well in kind? **redacted**
Well to be frankly honest, for me, it wouldn’t necessarily bother me that much, it would effect the way I pray yes, but it wouldn’t bother me that much for the most part.

@Greatshield17

"sp" is a common abbreviation for the word "spelling."

@Skittlebisquit was suggesting that the spelling he used for the word
proselytizing might be incorrect.

upload_2021-5-4_17-7-14.png

It was too, all the right letters wrong order, i have never heard it spoken aloud. I apologize for saying stuck up, i have better words, i will try harder

How would the context affect people’s reactions, such as after discussion, after a debate, or seeing Catholics at a Rosary rally praying for the conversion for certain group of people (like a town, region, or nation) that you fall under; among other contexts?

Personally, this wouldn't bother me too much. I really feel neutral about this. It's not directed at me personally, and you're free to pray as you wish.

The issue isn't so much when people are praying for me, it's when they TELL ME that they're praying for me in a way that is passive aggressive or judgmental.

Just wondering.
For context, I was baptized Christian through my own choice at the age of 10, but I'm not a practicing one, don't call myself one and I don't believe a lot of the things that Christians believe, including the idea that a person praying for me can somehow have some effect on my life.

If someone says this to me, I know that they mean well, but I also don't believe that it will have any effect and make any difference to whatever problem I have. The prayer is going to help them rather than help me, and that's ok.

I've experienced both Christian and Jew say the same thing to me. I believe they believe that doing so, and telling me, makes a difference. My knowing shouldn't change its effectiveness, but in their world what they are doing makes a difference, so they do it and want me to know they do it, so I know they are praying, and perhaps if I believe it I will reinforce it. What we believe can change things.

If they are sincere believers, I appreciate the thought; it cannot hurt if someone imagines an outcome that in their opinion makes things better. And yet I wonder what is the point if they are praying to an all-knowing God?
Surely God already knows what is in their heart? Surely God has decided/created the circumstances being prayed for?

Perhaps it is the way God is imagined...as a father-figure that will answer prayers if asked in the right way, but if not, will let suffering continue because.. "well...nobody asked me to change it or did so correctly!"

One God...two armies praying to God to bring victory to their plight. Is my army deserving of a better outcome than yours? If we win God was clearly with us. If we are defeated, he must've favoured the enemy?

Many people prayed during the Holocaust. Many people suffered and died horribly.

Last edited:
The wierd thing is prayer vigils have produced tangible results

Its not reproducible, it cannot be either quantified nor qualified, but sometimes(more than odds would let it)
,[Sometimes something happens scare you half way back, and thensome.]when the event seems supernatural, it is humbling and sometimes frightening.

Primitive ppl are more superstiscious(i have never been able to spell this word)

It really does happen, divine intervention

Last edited:
Are you praying for the other person or are you praying for yourself? It seems like a very selfish act (this is simply for your gratification), very manipulative (how can someone turn you down?), and the height of hubris (that your god and your power is somehow at an apex and somehow you are someone worthy to bestow such a gift). If you want to help people volunteer for a charity; leave the religion for yourself.

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites
are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and
in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men.
Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Matthew 6:5

Wow, that is at once kinda silly and still how invasive. I feel bad i might have sold her those rocks Len. Not super bad, i mean its a free market. Stones and crystals dont work that way, but city ppl are not crazy smart about all that, there is a debate ongoing, or at least there was once. Spooky crystal from atlantis, $85. Is it a sin to take thier money? Chek out this sometime
Healy device
Not involved in that i swear, just sticks and stones

I should likely start a new thread on the healy device. Pseudo science meets modern marketing. Its an interesting study in how to manipulate$ search engine results. Takes a bit of skill to find a skeptic on that

Primitive ppl are more superstscious
This is true. Until they are told they are heathens and 'encouraged' to reform their ways by those who believe only they know the one true path to God. The indigenous natural simplicity replaced by unnecessary dogmatic complexity, and historically, often forcibly.

Science, through the idea of quantum entanglement, understands that nothing is separate. Thoughts are powerful. Observing something changes the outcome.

Meditating, praying… connects us. And believing in why it is being done makes a difference otherwise there's little point to it.

We discover the truth when we are ready to find it, and in a way that makes individual sense to us. Or, we can connect to something well-established so that we don't need to look or even think, only believe, which can work, unless it becomes corrupted, which it seems to always do on some level. That's the trouble with something trying to be divine by well-intentioned humans in divine clothing. It is not the word of God, just man's interpretation of it.

I've experienced both Christian and Jew say the same thing to me. I believe they believe that doing so, and telling me, makes a difference. My knowing shouldn't change its effectiveness, but in their world what they are doing makes a difference, so they do it and want me to know they do it, so I know they are praying, and perhaps if I believe it I will reinforce it. What we believe can change things.
We Catholics believe that telling another person that we are praying for them, doesn’t effect things on the preter- and supernatural levels; if a Catholic tells someone that they’re praying for him or her, that Catholic is seeking something on only on the natural level usually.

If they are sincere believers, I appreciate the thought; it cannot hurt if someone imagines an outcome that in their opinion makes things better. And yet I wonder what is the point if they are praying to an all-knowing God?
Surely God already knows what is in their heart? Surely God has decided/created the circumstances being prayed for?

Perhaps it is the way God is imagined...as a father-figure that will answer prayers if asked in the right way, but if not, will let suffering continue because.. "well...nobody asked me to change it or did so correctly!"
Saint Therese of Lisieux had an explanation for this, I forget what it was but it might have borne some similarity what you said. Also Catholics believe in cooperating with God grace and will, for the unfolding of history; J. R. R. Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings actually contains a lot of this theme, of how both Divine Providence and the free will of the characters work together for a good outcome for the events in the trilogy.

One God...two armies praying to God to bring victory to their plight. Is my army deserving of a better outcome than yours? If we win God was clearly with us. If we are defeated, he must've favoured the enemy?
Well, obviously there is a lot more at play but, that is the basic idea behind Lepanto and the Battles of La Naval de Manila among other such events.

Many people prayed during the Holocaust. Many people suffered and died horribly.
Probable Trigger Warning!: Our Lady of Fatima, (who’s feast day is on the 13th of the month, I love Our Lady of Fatima! She’s the reason why I’m Catholic) told the three Shepherd Children in 1917 that the war (that is, WWI) will soon end, and the soldiers will return home. But if people refused to amend their lives, a worse war would soon break out. (And as we all know, that did happen!)

New Threads

Top Bottom