• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Questions about things in or not in DSM-5

Oz67

What happened to Pervasive Developmental Disorder category? It sounds scientific.

Last edited:
The was a determination to simplify the latest DSM. In my opinion, they simplified it to the point of being useless. Case in point was the decision to eliminate all the different types of autism to just three levels of functionality. I suspect that this was done by academics and theoreticians, and not by practitioners in the field. Unfortunately, the practitioners have to go by it.

I read that they purposely try to make diagnoses sound scientific to prevent issues with stigmatizing the ordinary language of laymen.

I read that they purposely try to make diagnoses sound scientific to prevent issues with stigmatizing the ordinary language of laymen.
Yes. I also noticed they turned "Sociopath" and "Psychopath" into "Anti Social Personality Disorder." In other words, the person running around trying to kill people isn't really a psychopath, he is merely anti social. I'm sure there are other examples. Like I said, they simplified it into uselessness.

I have been wondering why Prosopagnosia is not in DSM-5-TR. I have been wondering if it is just a symptom that is common across neurodevelopmental disorders and neurocugitive disorders that is related to lack theory of mind.

This looks affordable and quite interesting. I noticed that psychology is definitely your special interest. Take a couple minutes and look at this University. You can just take one course only. Just to see if you like this field.

New Threads

Top Bottom