• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Question about starting business programs for those who Have a mental disability

SimplyWandering

I am HFA. I want to start a business where I help those with Aspergers/High Functioning Autism. I have a product i -am trying to bring to market. I would like to give a percentage back to All Autistic Communities and organizations (except Autism Speaks!)

1) my question is how can i help those who are in these categories?

2) What do you think should be offered that could possibly help these individuals learn skills that are needed in the "real world?"

3) Legally , is there any way to specifically work with HFA/Aspergers As opposed to those that may be non verbal or have other diagnoses?

Thanks for the help.

I don't know the specific answers to your questions however:

Aspergers/HFA is no longer a thing, at least in the US. Those diagnoses do not exist anymore and the entire concept is being disowned by the autistic community, so what you are attempting to do is literally impossible at this point in time (assuming you're in the US).

I suggest a more inclusive business model.

I don't know the specific answers to your questions however:

Aspergers/HFA is no longer a thing, at least in the US. Those diagnoses do not exist anymore and the entire concept is being disowned by the autistic community, so what you are attempting to do is literally impossible at this point in time (assuming you're in the US).

I suggest a more inclusive business model.

I understand there is an Autism Spectrum by the medical community.l, however People Can still choose to identify as HFA, Aspergers, Low functioning , etc. even if some of these no longer fall in the categories. I choose to identify as HFA/Aspergers. However i see your point about targeting specific groups. Though there are many organizations that only work with 1 populous, such as those with schizophrenia, so i am just wondering if that would be possible.

thanks for your reply

I understand there is an Autism Spectrum by the medical community.l, however People Can still choose to identify as HFA, Aspergers, Low functioning , etc. even if some of these no longer fall in the categories. I choose to identify as HFA/Aspergers. However i see your point about targeting specific groups. Though there are many organizations that only work with 1 populous, such as those with schizophrenia, so i am just wondering if that would be possible.

thanks for your reply

You can identify however you choose to. I've noticed though, that there is increasing pushback within the community aimed at those identifying as such. (I hold no such judgement, it's just something I've noticed.) As such, your business model may well become a public relations disaster before it ever gets off the ground.

I'm guessing that if your products are designed for people in the ASD 1/ Aspergers group, they won't be likely to appeal to people who would not find them helpful. Probably you could describe what you are producing, and those to whom they may be useful would buy or subscribe. You could say ASD1 / formerly Aspergers couldn't you?

Networking. There is no hope unless you network. Get into all and every Autism group. It would be best to go to uni and get degrees in NFPs etc. Then you can get grants. The American Dream is long gone. The idea you can start a little business and make enough to feed yourself is no longer real.YOu need grant money (quite avaiable once you know how to grant-write. But grant writing is very very specific. ) and you need ideas and people and knowledge of so much.

I know a lot of people are throwing cold water on your dream. It does not mean we are right. We could be wrong. But that's my take. Uni degree in some kind of Interdisciplinary/NFP (Not-For-Profit) administration and loads of networking which of course is very hard for people with autism

Some people make an online site to sell items, I guess it depends on what you plan to produce.

OK, so far, so good. Do you have any idea how to market this thing successfully? Because in order for your idea to have any traction, you need to have a product that sells.

New Threads

Top Bottom