• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Question about PTSD and autism - your experience

Jere

Hi there!
So I have both PTSD and ASD, and ever since I experienced the traumatic event causing my PTSD I have found that I can't really form a special interest.
Anyone experience something similar?
Anything helps!

It seems that my concentration seems worse because l can trigger over simple things. I am now stay home a lot more to deal with PTSD. And that has really helped. I also suffer from anxiety now stressing about PTSD.

Did you have special interest(s) before the PSTD?

How long has it been since the event that caused PSTD?

Hi there!
So I have both PTSD and ASD, and ever since I experienced the traumatic event causing my PTSD I have found that I can't really form a special interest.
Anyone experience something similar?
Anything helps!

Sounds almost like depression; I've had some very bad things happen and lost interest in a lot of things afterwards. Eventually regaining interest took a great deal of time.

Did you have special interest(s) before the PSTD?

How long has it been since the event that caused PSTD?

Yes I had very intense special interests before PTSD, I think. I actually have PTSD from two different events, after the second one is when I noticed I was lacking that connection to special interests.
It has been 3-4 years after the second event, the first thing causing my PTSD is still ongoing.

Sounds almost like depression; I've had some very bad things happen and lost interest in a lot of things afterwards. Eventually regaining interest took a great deal of time.
I do have depression, it just never affected my special interests before my PTSD.

I agree that this sounds like a depression. Not every depression or depressive episode is the same.

Depersonalisation and dissociation are common symptoms with PTSD that make you feel unable to enjoy things you enjoyed before and feel disconnected from people and yourself. This will take time but will get better with the correct help.

I agree that this sounds like a depression. Not every depression or depressive episode is the same.

Depersonalisation and dissociation are common symptoms with PTSD that make you feel unable to enjoy things you enjoyed before and feel disconnected from people and yourself. This will take time but will get better with the correct help.

Well that makes sense as well seeing as I have Depersonalization and Derealization disorder. It's just been happening for years beforehand so I didn't think it was connected

Are you getting help with the ongoing cause of your PTSD? It would be hard to recover if you are not yet safe.

Are you getting help with the ongoing cause of your PTSD? It would be hard to recover if you are not yet safe.
aneas ese

Yes and no unfortunately.
I do have therapy, but on the other hand I'm constantly in the presence of one of my abusers and her actions haven't exactly stopped. The other person who caused my PTSD is gone luckily, and therapy is helping me heal from that.
I am also trying to save up for a service dog to help me handle my PTSD but it's a ton of money to raise.

Even if it's not depression, necessarily, a general lack of interest in things would be a normal response to trauma.

This sounds difficult. Is your diagnosis ASD1, or is it ASD 2 or 3? I ask because in some countries you may be able to get residential support at your age to be supported to learn skills towards independence, in the latter two categories, not for ASD 1 though I don't think, but some options that allow you to move out should that seem a good option, may be possible? Do you have other support apart from this person who is abusive? Have you discussed her abusive behaviours with your therapist?

New Threads

Top Bottom