• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Question about PDD-NOS

Oz67

What is late age of onset, atypical symptomatology, or subthreshold symptomatology, or all of these in PDD-NOS (Atypical Autism)?

Instead of determining ages of the onset of such conditions, perhaps it might actually be more helpful to understand the timelines of how such diagnoses came to be, and how they have evolved since. Yet still without conditional explanations and answers.

What Is PDD-NOS?

(Link provided not to answer questions so much as to show how they keep evolving over issues they can't seem to commit to with a decisive response.)

While I've seen a number of your posts intelligently trying to understand your own diagnosis over time, it would seem they carry the same common denominator- a diagnosis based on a premise of ambiguity.

All complicated even further through medical evolution by the DSM.

Small wonder you've asked so many questions that have so few conditional answers. It must be terribly frustrating. To me the very existence of published, yet broad and ambiguous medical terms is annoying at the very least.

Last edited:
Instead of determining ages of the onset of such conditions, perhaps it might actually be more helpful to understand the timelines of how such diagnoses came to be, and how they have evolved since. Yet still without conditional explanations and answers.

What Is PDD-NOS?

(Link provided not to answer questions so much as to show how they keep evolving over issues they can't seem to commit to with a decisive response.)

While I've seen a number of your posts intelligently trying to understand your own diagnosis over time, it would seem they carry the same common denominator- a diagnosis based on a premise of ambiguity.

All complicated even further through medical evolution by the DSM.

Small wonder you've asked so many questions that have so few conditional answers. It must be terribly frustrating. To me the very existence of published, yet broad and ambiguous medical terms is annoying at the very least.

I agree. It's a neurodevelopental disorder, it could be that with mild PDD-NOS, your social skills is more developed. You have social skills of a high schooler, but as you get much older, social rules becomes complicated for you and your symptoms of PDD-NOS seeps out. My conclusion is that you always had symptoms of PDD from the beginning, it's just it wasn't manifested until late in life, and because you have neurotypical traits at the same time.

Until recently you had to be male to be deemed to have Typical autism! Still do to an extent. It's an evolving understanding that causes the ambiguity and confusion, plus that assumptions have been made and maintained. Research gets stuck when clinicians or their advocates try to build empires around definitions.

I agree. It's a neurodevelopental disorder, it could be that with mild PDD-NOS, your social skills is more developed. You have social skills of a high schooler, but as you get much older, social rules becomes complicated for you and your symptoms of PDD-NOS seeps out. My conclusion is that you always had symptoms of PDD from the beginning, it's just it wasn't manifested until late in life, and because you have neurotypical traits at the same time.
That would sorta make sense, i could mostly get by in high school but fell apart at college. The dsm 5 was supposed to solve the pddnos problem, people with this condition would now fall under the category of social pragmatic communication disorder, asd1 or lose the diagnosis completely.

That would sorta make sense, i could mostly get by in high school but fell apart at college. The dsm 5 was supposed to solve the pddnos problem, people with this condition would now fall under the category of social pragmatic communication disorder, asd1 or lose the diagnosis completely.

It's really stupid, that shouldn't happen.

Autism diagnostic criteria | Asperger's & Autism Community - Wrong Planet

I think that article criticizes how too narrow diagnostic criteria for Autism Spectrum Disorder is, and that it should expend to Broad Autism Phenotype, and people with enough criteria B for Autism Spectrum Disorder, and it basically means that people should be able to meet the diagnostic criteria for Autism Spectrum Disorder without criteria A, as long you meet enough diagnostic criteria B for Autism Spectrum Disorder.

But I explained to OP in that article that criteria A should only be reserved when symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorder is more severe.

The diagnostic criteria for Autism Spectrum Disorder is more broad, but not broad enough to handle mild PDD-NOS cases.

I told my brother that Pervasive Developmental Disorder is not rare, but my brother told me that I have PDD-NOS, and that doesn't mean that I am autistic, and that it's two different things. I so confused right now, because PDD-NOS, Asperger Syndrome, Rett Syndrome and CDD, and Autistic Disorder are forms of Pervasive Developmental Disorder.

My brother even time me that Asperger Syndrome is rare, but I don't think that is true, I think there are people with undiagnosed Asperger Syndrome or just undiagnosed ASD.

I heard the Autism Speaks is a bad organization.
. No,...a few of the statements made by specific member of that organization,...several years ago,...have resulted in disagreement. But, I digress.

What Is PDD-NOS?
Pervasive Development Disorders: What Are They?

In the US, and some other countries, PDD-NOS is no longer "official" terminology since 2013, much like Asperger's Condition,...but IS under the ICD-10 coding for Autism Spectrum Disorder.

. No,...a few of the statements made by specific member of that organization,...several years ago,...have resulted in disagreement. But, I digress.

What Is PDD-NOS?
Pervasive Development Disorders: What Are They?

In the US, and some other countries, PDD-NOS is no longer "official" terminology since 2013, much like Asperger's Condition,...but IS under the ICD-10 coding for Autism Spectrum Disorder.

ICD-11 is kind of like DSM-5, it's just Autism Spectrum Disorder in ICD-11 as well.

There is a whole generation growing up in the '60s and '70s who went undiagnosed unless severe, only to be diagnosed later in life. even with significant social development delays most were intelligent enough to have people think we were normal. It was very hard work to progress without assistance.

Don't listen to your brother. he is not living your life.

There is a whole generation growing up in the '60s and '70s who went undiagnosed unless severe, only to be diagnosed later in life. even with significant social development delays most were intelligent enough to have people think we were normal. It was very hard work to progress without assistance.

Don't listen to your brother. he is not living your life.

Thank you!

I am so confused of how stupid my brother sounds, and not only that, still to this day, it became more common that teenagers and adults are getting diagnosed with ASD, ASD is not that rare as uneducated people like my brother think. I am sure there are more people with ASD than what statistics suggests, if we count people with enough diagnostic criteria for ASD, but still undiagnosed or never diagnosed.

If you look around with a critical eye, you would be astounded how many have attributes, as it is on a continuum. having worked with colour for years where does one colour start and the adjacent one begin after all each name is just a label. When you get down to it orange and red are just labels for our convenience. professionally I used numbers to describe colour. only dark light had a scale 0 to 100. Chroma was measured by difference to a colour the customer wanted. Even that would change depending on lighting .

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom