• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

quality systems

Ronald Zeeman

V.I.P Member
when I was employed, (retired), I was pretty good as a quality engineer. I automated SPC
also made manual forms. Automated a measurement System analysis (MSA) , also known as a gauge R &R form.
Just yesterday a colleague a former plant manager of a paint manufacturing plant. asked me for a copy of my MSA spread sheet. incidentally I think he is also successful Aspie.

Any budding quality engineers on this site I would be happy to pass on any forms I have. Saves making your own.

I really enjoyed Quality Engineering and still have the Western Electric manual. My forté was factorial DOE and Simplex operations to test and optimize processes. I have made a spreadsheet for people doing Macroinvertebrate surveys that is self calculating for tolerance values as a measure of stream quality. I'm currently working to use the data for Chi-squared run charting since sensitivity to negative water quality can be stratified to yield predictable frequencies as long as collection is at least semi-quantitative.

Gauge R&R was so important in qualifying analytical methods according to USP <1225> and assessing technicians for proficiency.

I used it to evaluate the technicians at the various paint suppliers. my buddy was the plant manager. No pass study, no supply paint.
I'm familiar with some of your methods, never used any of these more sophisticated, techniques. did not need them. The paint suppliers were scared of me. I'm pretty harmless. just do it my way.

He's right if you can measure it you can control it. I was very flattered when a colleague, now an operation's manager thought my automated MSA was his favorite tool, lost it after a position change .He uses it to measure his technicians ability to do their jobs. Some thing I showed him how to do when he was still a paint formulator.

Last edited:
He's right if you can measure it you can control it. I was very flattered when a colleague, now an operation's manager thought my automated MSA was his favorite tool, lost it after a position change .He uses it to measure his technicians ability to do their jobs. Some thing I showed him how to do when he was still a paint formulator.
I was really convinced about the utility of SPC when I looked at some parts of assembly for manufacture of tiny canisters containing I-125 for prostate therapy. One of the first steps is to cut small titanium tubes to size. That operation was yielding 10% or more that did not meet dimensional specs. It seemed that after 15 cuts the procedure called for the operator to reset the cutter using a gauge block. So, I had an operator measure 5 pieces just before resetting. I found that they were whipsawing that operation across the tolerance range. I had the operators measure three pieces after 15 cuts and plot the result on a run chart and never reset unless the process was running out of control. That reduced scrap to far less than 1%. Alas, a production manager thought that SPC was a gimmick, though I pointed out that while the original process was filed with the FDA, I could validate the improved procedure in a couple of days and we can file the modification as "changes being effected." I was disgusted that they went back to what I considered ineffective process control and high scrap rates.

I'm currently using my stationary bike to put to together a control chart for calories, over a half hour Lecture, it will take 25 days to get a baseline, can measure my recovery from the stroke was on level 7 when stroke happened, now have worked back up to level 5 was 3 when I left hospital. currently have my wife monitoring my oxygen level. already seen improvement as control limits tighten up as lung capacity increases.

My son is a quality manager at a small plating company, would like to take a tour of his plant, give him a control plan, set up some control methods for his process's. Stroke happened 4 days before retirement. So any plans I had went out window.

My son is a quality manager at a small plating company, would like to take a tour of his plant, give him a control plan, set up some control methods for his process's. Stroke happened 4 days before retirement. So any plans I had went out window.
That is great. I think, just as American machine tools have gone down the tubes and younger generations have looked away from manufacturing, we are at risk of losing a generation of Quality Engineering pros.

Quality engineering was hot up here for a number of years. This is what is giving your competitive countries their edge, us older people remember how the Japanese used these methods to almost destroy yours and our automotive industry's, it is definitely not a gimmick.

I am monitoring my health using SPC, results so far.

Attachments

• Ron's Oxygen level.pdf
    184.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Ron's blood pressure.pdf
    184.2 KB · Views: 136
That is good @Ronald Zeeman
I don’t measure anything with my workouts except time & the subjective (but great) reduction in my anxiety. Keeping the habit going also increases my fitness & basic happiness.
If I could afford it, though, I’d like to have a monitor and keep track of my progress.
How come the last several entries are ‘fails?’

They are fails as it is treating the empty cells as 0.
I felt off yesterday, bike showed 135 calories today I got 145 calories. Need 25 days to make chart on my bike.

I am monitoring my health using SPC, results so far.
Was just looking at the blood pressure. Are you looking at it as a I-MR? Knowing what I do about the circulatory system my preference would be to look at the ratio of systolic/diastolic as an I-MR plot with range for n=3, at least, to smooth out variability.

My wife usually take three measurements takes the one that passes the machines specification limit green or yellow and saves the best one.
Your right on a industrial process where their is independent samples this make sense.
I like moving range charts for this reason for a x bar and range chart you need independent samples

Last edited:
!0 measurements away from getting base line on my health on stationary bike then I can see what effect adjustments make. such as moving up a level. currently at level 5 was at 7 before stroke.
30 years ago could have done at max level.

Got my first significant result on my blood pressure chart, related to Omicron virus interfering with my plans.

Attachments

• Ron's blood pressure.pdf
    190.6 KB · Views: 110
Finally Have a Base line Chart For My Bike, to monitor how well I am recovering from the stroke.
Was level 3 when I left Hospital, Now at 5, Was 7 before stroke. walked around block alone for the last couple of days, wife a bit worried made it home with no issues.

Attachments

• Calories on Bike Level 5.pdf
    176.3 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom