• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Putting shirts on backwards??

righan

So, I'm curious about something ... one of the things I have struggled with since childhood was putting shirts on backwards. For some reason if it is a shirt that i have to pull over my head, particularly t-shirts, about 8 times out of 10 it will be on backwards and then I have to fix it. My mother, who tends to be blunt, used to say "Even a monkey can get it right 50% of the time."

I have no reason to suspect this is ASD related ... just bad luck I think ... but I'm just curious if anyone else has a similar issue or heard of it being ASD related. Over the past year I've learned all sorts things I didn't think were ASD traits actually were.

It's just a coincidence; it happens to me sometimes too and I hate it, though a good way to see if it's about to be on backwards is if the tag or size print is facing you or not.

Yup, all the time. Usually check before I go outside or will be out in public. It's sometimes difficult as I've cut all the tags off the t-shirts, sweaters and such.

Monkeys don't often get it right fifty percent of the time. In fact it takes them twice as long as humans to learn certain kinds of tasks.

Last edited:
I mentioned the bit about monkeys to simply highlight the degree to which it happens - it was a big enough problem growing up that it caused my mother to express her irritation with it by saying an animal less evolved than humans should be able to do better than me ... so why can't I get it right?

For me its only a mild irritation ... I'm so used to it that I don't even worry about it really. I typically check (or have my wife check) when I put it on and fix it when its back wards and just go on with my day. Its a little thing, not worth getting upset about, although I do find it fascinating due to how often it occurs.

The tricky thing is with shirts that don't have tags or pictures on them. Sometimes I don't know that a shirt is on backwards and I can go around with it backwards for a while before my wife sees me and says "honey, your shirt is on backwards again" ... unlike my mother, my wife finds it endearing that I very often put shirts on backwards. I am quite lucky to have found her.

I don't know how many times I've spent the day out in public with a pullover on backwards or inside out. AND I've been known to dress my kids the same. I remember my mom complaining because I had sent my daughter to daycare with her outfit inside out and I said, "well, could be worse. Could have been backwards, too."

For some reason if it is a shirt that i have to pull over my head, particularly t-shirts, about 8 times out of 10 it will be on backwards and then I have to fix it. My mother, who tends to be blunt, used to say "Even a monkey can get it right 50% of the time."
full
Just turn it around every time and you'll only be wrong 20% of the time... :p

Yes, when I was a kid my mum had to check me before I left for school that I didn't have my jumper the wrong way round, inside out, or odd socks.

I still sometimes put on an item of clothing the wrong way round, but I usually spot the mistake because it feels wrong. I sometimes wear clothes inside out, sometimes by accident but also sometimes on purpose - I wear socks or a T-shirt inside out so I don't feel the seams, and put on a jumper over the top so nobody will ever know that I'm wearing the T-shirt inside out.

Yeah, so thats' why I changed over to wearing a all-purpose wetsuit all the time. You can even shower in it!

camaro-wetsuits-1982.jpg

;)

When I’m in a hurry I have a habit of putting my pants on backwards. Luckily I’ll notice that rather quickly. Most of my shirts have some amount of cleavage, so it’s easy to see which way it goes.

Nope. I'm always looking for a label beforehand with any article of clothing I'm about to put on.

I often put shirts on backwards and don't realize it till later or maybe even that night. It doesn't help that I rip the tags out. Even ones with pictures, sometimes I wonder which side is the front and which is the back. Then the coordination of actually putting it on the right way when I'm half asleep still.

Same goes for buttoning up my flannels. I've lost track of all the times I've started on the wrong button or missed a button and the shirt is lopsided and didn't realize it till later in the day.

Socks too, I have a bunch which are close in color but not quite. I've often said that in the morning I see "50 shades of gray" because I don't see much for color that early. Later in the day I'll realize that my two socks are really quite different.

The tricky thing is with shirts that don't have tags or pictures on them. Sometimes I don't know that a shirt is on backwards and I can go around with it backwards for a while before my wife sees me and says "honey, your shirt is on backwards again" ... unlike my mother, my wife finds it endearing that I very often put shirts on backwards. I am quite lucky to have found her.

I think it would be really impressive to show up with a button-down dress shirt on backwards. Even more impressive with a tie and dress pants all on backwards. :D

I don't put my shirts on backwards but I do wear collared shirts where the collar is jacked up. My wife always has to check my collar. :laughing:

if doing this makes you happy then do it do stuff that makes you happy I want you to have the happiest day ever

I very rarely put shirts on backwards without noticing, only if they're a solid color t-shirt and are tagless, but I somehow end up putting shorts on backwards sometimes (athletic shorts, bathing suit shorts, and the kind of shorts with elastic waistbands.)

I have a pair of shorts that I love because they have rainbow sailboats on them, and it's impossible to tell which is the back and which is the front because the tag is in the side, not the back, and there are holes for drawstrings in both the front and back (but no actual drawstrings...)
The only way I usually find out that they're on backwards is when I notice that the pockets are backwards lol

One very large sweatshirt I have, I put on backward
intentionally. I wear it over my other sweatshirt when
I am outside. It has a big Mickey Mouse face on the
"front" so I use that for the back.

Maybe it makes me more noticeable to people who
drive past me when I'm out walking by the side of
the road. That's not why I do it. I just would prefer
that my clothes generally not have designs/faces
on them where I have to see them.

New Threads

Top Bottom