• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Pushing the limits of my comfort zone

DHS

I don't know if I'll even manage a question by the end of this, might just be venting or hoping to hear about similar situations.
Mini backgroud, early 30's, get by pretty well day to day, mostly just come across as weird (who doesn't), quit my job a few months back with the plan being to do contract work moving foward. After a few months of nothing, got 3 offers in the same week, accepted 2 that would work together well enough. Which brings me to today's situation.
I'm from Australia, but right now I'm sitting in a hotel room in the Congo after 2 weeks away for a job on a refinery. I'm just so drained, 2 weeks of trying to speak French, dealing with translators and climbing into confined spaces only come back to an lonely hotel room while everyone I know back home is sleeping. Tomorrow I'm starting on the first flight of 3 to get back home, I can't do online checkin for this airport so I don't know what to expect, then change flights in Ethiopia and carry on to Thailand, where I will be staying in another hotel for a night and then finally back home.
I actually really enjoy the work, but I couldn't handle it for much longer, I'm so on edge now and dreading something going wrong with one of my flights or check-in or something I haven't even consideref yet and not being able to communicate with people properly. As with any job, I'm doing it because I want the money, I definitely can't complain about that part of it, but I wouldn't have done it for any less either.
Would love some insight or similar stories or something? No idea really, just feeling a bit isolated and taking it out on the internet!

Wow. All those things would be hard to handle. Just remember 'it'll pay off'. :)

Contracting, from what I understand of it can be extremely isolating and difficult. Are you finished with the two jobs now and are you on your way home to stay for a bit, or will you be off on another when you get back?
I hope your flights and everything go well for you, let us know how it goes. :)

You are having an incredible adventure and you are making good money as well. I hope that is putting a smile on your face. I've travelled a lot, and I know the feelings of isolation and difficulties with communication. Suggestions: keep a journal of everything you are experiencing, then share it with friends back home. Switch from text and IM to writing e-mails. Ask people to write you back as a matter of course. Learn some of whatever language is being used in that country. Focus on the most common phrases and useful words to get you through. Also, research information about the country you are in - history, geography, etc. Find a local person, possibly from work, who can help you confirm your reservations by phone or electronic media. There is little you can do to offset the loneliness because you are not traveling with friends. Channel your thoughts and feelings into your journal and e-mails. Turn the time alone into self-reflection and exploration. What you are doing is very exciting. Try to see every moment as a special gift. I'm sorry you feel out of your element, but it is being out of your element that provides the unique experience. Make sure to take your down-time when you need it. You are dealing with a lot of unfamiliar stimulation.

I can relate to this in that I have also been to a foreign country to work. The last time I tried that I didn't make it - it culminated in my mental breakdown and being diagnosed with Asperger's. i think it would have helped to have known that I was on the spectrum earlier and perhaps avboided the pitfall of trying to do too much, or things that I'm really not kitted out to do.

Thanks everyone, your replies are greatly appreciated. Made it through flight number one, from here on out it's more familiar airports at least.
That being said, before I left I thought I wouldn't mind working at that site again, but is without a doubt the worst airport I have ever been through. 3 "security" checks, where they were only interested in litterally searching you for any cash they can get their hand on. I feel like I'm understating that, airport staff, speaking a foreign language, demanding you open your wallet and show them all your cash so they can take what's left, after all the people before them got their share.
But things should be more civilized from here on out, I just don't think I'm cut out for this work anymore. Still glad I did it, autism or not, I think everyone struggles with things like this. I've seen a lot of interesting places and had some great and some awful experiences, but I don't think there's a dollar value to get me back into a place like that anymore.
Just two 9.5 hour flights and an 18 hour layover before I see my wife, followed by an hour and a half drive to get home.
My other contract is a 3 day per week commute from home, no travel for that one. Compared to 160 hours in 2 weeks, it's going to take me 3 months to earn the same money at the other job and I don't think I've ever appreciated the lower pay so much in my life!

New Threads

Top Bottom