• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Purpose or meaning in life?

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
I am having a tough time finding purpose or meaning in my life, which has been reduced mainly to work, TV and sleep for the most part. Men were not designed to live like that.

So, how does one find spiritual fulfillment in an utter void like this one? I am too comfortable with my TV set and my bed. My horizons are way too narrow.

May sound extra ordinary or something, but the purpose of life is trying and why not succeding in finding God.
This may sound like preaching but actually is derived from my life experience and is very valuable.

"And he made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place, 27 that they should seek God, and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him. Yet he is actually not far from each one of us, 28 for

“‘In him we live and move and have our being’;d]">[d]

as even some of your own poets have said,

“‘For we are indeed his offspring.'

The way I see it, there is no one true meaning of life. Rather meaning and purpose is whatever you give it. There are as many meanings as there are people in this world, and no one else can truly tell you how to find it, so you have to find it yourself. Some find it through religion, some through service or family, some in their interests, etc. Or like me, I've decided that I don't need to actively search for it, because it will eventually find me.

My horizons are way too narrow.
Exactly.

I suspect too much TV and video games may have something to do with it. You might not want to hear that.

Some religious folk will tell you that you need to follow their religion to find meaning. They believe their way is the only way.

But as @LadyS mentioned, meaning and purpose is whatever you decide it is. Now, you may be stuck with what you could decide it might possibly be, and in such instances, depending on a number of factors, I would probably invite you to have a psychedelic experience, under supervision, especially if you'd not tried anything like it before. That would open you up, give you an experience you'd not had before, which would help you to understand what meaning for you might be.

But as that may not be possible, many people find meaning through service to others. Have you considered volunteering?

Satisfaction in life or meaning? I think being satisfied is pretty easy, meaning is harder. Satisfaction may well come from a sense of devotion to a hobby, or learning a new skill, finding acceptance in a social group.

Little growing plants are deeply satisfying to me. Cheap as hobbies go, leftover containers, some soil, some seeds. I have them on windowsills and i had a little potting shed for a while.

Nature too is satisfying. If i were you i would get a bicycle, if they can be had. You live in town right? Its a wonderful way to get around and relaxing

Meaning or purpose i guess is about one's whole life sort of being on track, like going somewhere significant. Or some great work or something.

New Threads

Top Bottom