• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Public school & Aspies

Celestiune

I'm in a public school, and have been all my life (except for late 8th to early 9th grade for homeschooling) and I'm wondering, would you recommend me staying in Public school until I graduate (I'm in 10th) or find an alternative. I don't like public school but a lot have recommended me staying in for the social aspect, even though that is probably the worst part of public school for me.

The public school social experience is not worth staying for, if it's hinging solely on that. It would be if school were a reasonable simulation of the adult world, but it isn't. Assuming you're at a pretty typical school, I assume being popular means being a worthless person. It's not really that way in the adult world; being popular is more a function of how nice you are to people. The public school social experience just ranges from useless to damaging.

Food for thought, but I got a GED at 16 and started going to a great college right at 16 while everyone else spent two more years in school treading water. Take it from me, you wouldn't be missing much, even if you started going to a private school or whatever the alternative is.

The public school social experience is not worth staying for, if it's hinging solely on that. It would be if school were a reasonable simulation of the adult world, but it isn't. Assuming you're at a pretty typical school, I assume being popular means being a worthless person. It's not really that way in the adult world; being popular is more a function of how nice you are to people. The public school social experience just ranges from useless to damaging.

Food for thought, but I got a GED at 16 and started going to a great college right at 16 while everyone else spent two more years in school treading water. Take it from me, you wouldn't be missing much, even if you started going to a private school or whatever the alternative is.

What I had in mind was online school or a GED (which my parents are rather hesitant about go figure) But I agree with you. In my opinion my school praises the successful and completely ignores the struggling.

School life is nothing like adult life in any aspects, especially the social one. If the reason for you to stay is just this, then I would recommend leaving, seeing as you won't miss much if you're fine academically. Though it is a true that I got a life-long friendship during these years, however, you can get one or not, in school or not, it's just a blind luck in this instance. All in all, you're not going to miss much. Some things were interesting but mostly social life in public school was at best a hassle and a nightmare at its worst.

My advice to you. Drop out of school and get a GED. Grade school, public or private, is no place for an Aspie.

There are also online schools. I was homeschooled from 5th to 11th. But never finished because I got really sick around 11th and by the time I got better, my mom didn't want to work with me anymore. I was planning on getting a GED but found a credit recovery program instead and went there. This particular program was only offered in Ohio at the time and I don't know about other states or countries. You couldn't even get in unless you were at least 22 years old. I'd say stay homeschooled be it an online school or whatever you are doing. It's not worth developing PTSD and MANY colleges prefer homeschooled applicants.

If you are not experiencing serious problems (ie. bullying) I would suggest staying in school. I have found the only way to improve socially is to be involved socially. I did Public High School. I learned very little about academics... well, almost nothing actually, but lots about life and how to survive. ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom