• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Psychologist surprised I didn't know I was Autistic

My psychologist seemed to have a hard time understanding that I didn't know I was Autistic. Well for one thing, I am 69 and there was very different criteria when I was a child. And the second is that as an adult I was labeled ADHD (after my daughter). So every difficulty I would just ascribe to the ADHD diagnosis.

Anyway, this shouldn't upset me but it does. It makes me feel like I am not least bit self-aware despite the fact that I spend so much time trying to figure things out. Just made me feel dumb. And I don't like when someone seems to have a hard time believing me.

Okay I'm done....

She should understand that many people still don't know what ASD looks like in all it's variations. And sometimes it looks a lot like ADHD, apparently.

I minored in psychology and it never occurred to me that I was on the spectrum even though the evidence was there all the time. Sometimes it just takes a new set of eyes. I knew something was not right; in our first meeting our marriage counselor said he was pretty sure I had aspergers, I went to a therapist and in that first meeting she was sure I was on the spectrum. What is obvious to others is not obvious to us, par for the course, right?

Perhaps you could suggest to your psychologist that they trained in the wrong department, because being that she is a psychologist, means that she should know the dynamics around how we think.

So, no wonder you feel upset.

You knew you there was something, you just didn't know what it was called. Sounds like you are self-aware to me, you just lacked the knowledge but nobody knows everything.

I always thought that everyone just coped better with life than I did.

I am not surprised you are surprised.
I would not say that was autistic unless somebody told me or I had done a lot of reading about it.

My psychologist seemed to have a hard time understanding that I didn't know I was Autistic. Well for one thing, I am 69 and there was very different criteria when I was a child. And the second is that as an adult I was labeled ADHD (after my daughter). So every difficulty I would just ascribe to the ADHD diagnosis.

Anyway, this shouldn't upset me but it does. It makes me feel like I am not least bit self-aware despite the fact that I spend so much time trying to figure things out. Just made me feel dumb. And I don't like when someone seems to have a hard time believing me.

Okay I'm done....
I was diagnosed ADHD as a child. I'm now questioning and working on getting back to a psychologist to be assessed for autism. Based on what I'm learning I'm pretty sure now that at a minimum something is up, but for over 10 years of treatment for adhd I don't think autism was ever brought up or discussed with my parents. It even appears that my mom was under the impression that ADHD goes away when your an adult. Now I'm kinda getting this feeling that my motives are being questioned by my doctor because she is resistant to giving me a referral to a behavioral health center I wanted to choose but requires a referal.
We trust medical professionals to tell us when they have concerns. I don't think it is a lack of self awareness for you or anyone who didn't know at all.

It really depends on the severity of your symptoms and you need to have contrast too with less autistic states and many people haven't experienced that through using different supplements, detox routines, and/or diets. Or maybe in the case of for example food sensitivities you are self aware enough to notice what it is biologically doing to your mind and the way you interact with the world. It's either reaction or contrast that makes people more self aware. Some people can be stealth ASD though even in the case of males that tend to get far more socially devastating and outwardly visible symptoms, every case is different and some radically different.

Many therapists don't have experience in this area. So they are very insensitive in dealing with us. There are bad psychiatrists working with zero bedroom manner.

I never heard of autism until my late age. Just wasn't aware of it. So there is no way l could have figured it out. Just tell the psy that you thought you were antisocial. Just brush it off.

Most people of the so-called ASD-1/Asperger's variants probably didn't know they were autistic,...especially the older generations like us. As you say, you were either of a severe variant,...which sometimes got labeled as "mental retardation",...or you were "normal", but had "behavior issues". The other part is, at least in my experience, was that because I was quiet and never really spoke about my sensory experiences, I didn't know I was any different from anyone else. I was just an "introvert" who was "socially awkward". Even as a medical professional working, on occasion, with autistic children,...even as a parent who's children had a friend who was diagnosed with Asperger's in childhood, and would be over to the house speaking with us,...never dawned on me that I would be autistic, as well. Sure, I could say that there were times when I would say, "I feel like those autistic kids sometimes because of,...." Then I would just blow it off as a transient thing that everyone had from time to time.

Looking back, I had some transient stressors in my life and my autistic traits would be more apparent,...but it hasn't been since the past few years that work life has become more intense, stress is up significantly, perhaps an aging brain,...a combination of things,...and this is what really put me in a mind to research autism and finally seek out a professional diagnosis. Now, it's like "Hello,...Mr. Obvious, here,...autism is calling and wants you to look in the mirror.":D

I am 54. I never knew I am autistic until a few weeks ago. I am still figuring out how it presents it's self in me. Why? Well, gee, I wasn't born with the dsm in my hand. I knew I was different but I am only human. Seriously, why would I know?

Tell your doc, if you could know these things you wouldn't bother paying a psychologist. In fact, maybe you shouldn't pay this one either.

My psychologist seemed to have a hard time understanding that I didn't know I was Autistic.
Hi,
There are many different kinds of ignorance. Your psychologist is assuming that what would be obvious to them would also be as obvious to everyone else. Making false assumptions is a human trait. Most of us are unaware of these things.
John

I didn't suspect until around the age of 55. And it wasn't a linear or smooth process, coming to terms with my own autism- even as self-diagnosed. One involving a lot of denial up to a point.

I have always known that I was different from everyone around me. I just did not know how or why. I was never social and had very different interests. I and others just thought that I was a little weird. This is how I lived most of my life. When I was 60, I saw a documentary (I like documentaries) about Asperger's Syndrome. This really got my interest because it sounded like it was about me. I read about AS for a couple of years and was convinced that I was a Aspie. When I was 62, I got a referral from my doctor to see a psychologist who was experienced with autism. Three appointments later I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome.

Daily mind farts, social faux pas, excuse me - l don't have time to dx myself. Geez. That's why they make the money. To diagnose us.

New Threads

Top Bottom