• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Prozac

John222

Our 19yo was recently put on low dose of Prozac. It appears to me he has higher-highs (really good) and lower-lows (really bad). The really bad, appears to happen as the drug wears off.

For reference: He is, I would say, mid-functioning autistic. He is at a 3rd grade learning level.

What are your experiences with this? Anyone else have the same?

Thank you.

I don't know about everyone else, but I've had terrible experiences with EVERY SSRI I've ever taken. The worst was Paxil, when I'd miss a dose or it started wearing off I'd get brain zaps that would drop me like a ton of bricks sometimes, other times just headaches and severe vertigo. When I quit I had those same symptoms for at least 6-8 months constantly. I can recall no positive results from SSRI's, but some people swear by them. I've had better results and luck with the drug called Abilify. It evens my moods out and I don't get the side effects (other than weight gain).

Paxil ruined me weight wise gaining weight I can't lose anymore.

Prozac I been on and off for years. When I was off of it I had major obsessions like looking up soundtracks to see if they were complete and looking up actors. I would do this for hours.

Now back on Prozac it has helped greatly controlling my obsessions just don't like taking 40mg the doctor could have kept me on 20mg. 40mg makes me hyper sometimes

The drug doesn't "wear off." That's not quite how it works. It takes four weeks to reach a steady state, in which the concentration levels are relatively stable throughout the day.

It's a risk with neuro issues. Medical Marijuana works better but then you go to jail forever where I live and that is very bad for neuro. So they make you suffer with meds.

Prozac made me feel brain numb.
It slowed the constant dialect thought process in my brain and I didn't feel like me anymore.

I've tried all the different types, SSRIs, Tricyclics, MAO inhibitor, even Desyrel a tetracyclic.
The MAO inhibitor was the worst.
It made derealization worse until I felt that way constantly. Visual snow while taking it too.
I thought the half life would never wear off even after stopping it.

I've read quite a few medical articles that said few people on the spectrum ever feel better
especially with the SSRIs since ASD is a neuro difference and not a mental illness.

The drug doesn't "wear off." That's not quite how it works. It takes four weeks to reach a steady state, in which the concentration levels are relatively stable throughout the day.

No, but you do get rapid withdrawals from it, even missing just one dose and you are going to feel it. With every SSRI I've ever taken. You become dependent on them.

Prozac made me feel brain numb.
It slowed the constant dialect thought process in my brain and I didn't feel like me anymore.

I've tried all the different types, SSRIs, Tricyclics, MAO inhibitor, even Desyrel a tetracyclic.
The MAO inhibitor was the worst.
It made derealization worse until I felt that way constantly. Visual snow while taking it too.
I thought the half life would never wear off even after stopping it.

I've read quite a few medical articles that said few people on the spectrum ever feel better
especially with the SSRIs since ASD is a neuro difference and not a mental illness.

That has definitely been my experience with SSRIs . Nothing positive and a whole lot of negatives. The docs prescribe them to EVERYONE like they are a magical one pill fits all solution. I've had better results with antipsychotics. They level me out and usually my depression is situational rather than chemical. I think this is the case with a lot of people on the spectrum. We have a lot of situational depression that NO PILL will help. Only improvements in situation or mental outlook usually brought on by good or bad experiences.

Prozac sucks. Take him off the meds. Autism isn't a mental illness. Due to different neurology, often psych meds give autistic people unusual effects that just make the person high and speedy or very sedated.

That has definitely been my experience with SSRIs . Nothing positive and a whole lot of negatives. The docs prescribe them to EVERYONE like they are a magical one pill fits all solution. I've had better results with antipsychotics. They level me out and usually my depression is situational rather than chemical. I think this is the case with a lot of people on the spectrum. We have a lot of situational depression that NO PILL will help. Only improvements in situation or mental outlook usually brought on by good or bad experiences.
Could not say that better! We have very stressful lives and social damage. How can a pill fix that and why do they foist them on us? We should be allowed to choose, but in the US if you are ordered to, they can inject your once a month, in your own home, with long acting. Called Outpatient Commitment. scary ah

Our 19yo was recently put on low dose of Prozac. It appears to me he has higher-highs (really good) and lower-lows (really bad). The really bad, appears to happen as the drug wears off.

For reference: He is, I would say, mid-functioning autistic. He is at a 3rd grade learning level.

Thank you.
My personal experience with prozac is that it didn't make a difference. I was sold it to improve my mood, I don't mean literally sold, I thought the idea of a drug to improve mood sounded good.

Nowadays I don't agree with antiderpessants, I agree with dealing with the cause of the depression and if it is something you have to live with, or a challenge that you don't know how to solve, or one that takes a lot of time, herbal remedies are best, not man made chemicals.

I took prozac for many years and it actually caused depression and when I felt it was wise to not take anymore, my dr insisted on upping my dose and for a while, I felt ok, but then, would go back to heavy depression. I tried to ween myself off the drug, but I had such bad electric shocks in my brain, that it frightened me enough to give in and resume.

But, after, something like 16 years, I forced myself to go through the withdrawl symptoms and after a month, felt much better in myself and realised that it was the drug causing untold issues with me.

I learned there are two types of depression. Clinical and social and it works for clinical and I had social depression.

I guess, with a low dose for a short period of time, it may work, but NEVER allow your dr to let that go on!

**Disclaimer; this is a hot topic with me so here is my honest answer and after so many kids killing people after given these medications I’m off the chart p1ssed that doctors would even consider giving these medications/poisions out. It would terrify me for them to give those drugs to my kid, me or anyone else I know.

Let’s start with the first question that SHOULD be asked FIRST; DID THE DOCTOR TEST THE CHILDS BLOOD FIRST? A simple blood test call tell the doctor if someone is low on Dopamine or Serotonin so why not? Why are people not tested first? We get tested before given diabetics meds and thyroid meds so why not the others? It’s just as dangerous, honestly I believe more so.....why not? Wouldn’t have anything to do with money would it? (Oh yeah, sarcasm loud and clear)

I have pain disorder, least that is what they call it. Tried all those SSRI’s and it made me flipping insane! This goes back to the 1980’s when they first were experimenting using it for pain. Yes Prozac was one of many they tried and ALL of them made me into a completely different person regarding my personality. It wasn’t good at all, was high the first week then turned mean as heck!

Google antidepressants and the school shooters, or even people that run over large crowds of people. The Las Vegas shooter was on them too, age isn’t the issue it’s the meds.

I’d find another therapist/doctor - there are wholistic ways of treating these problems without these dangerous drugs that are being given to the kids.

The poor drugged kids goes nuts, people die, then the kid goes to jail. Not the doctors or the pharmaceutical companies that push this mess, then they blame the gun/car/knife, not the drugs!

Oh, and guess who gets rich - the politicians and pharmaceutical companies while the children that were poisoned go to jail!

ANTIDEPRESSANT: Officer Not Charged in Teen Girl Shooting Death – International Coalition for Drug Awareness – ICFDA

Fast forward to todays world, all of these shooters/killers/knife attacks by young people all over the world have one thing in common - ANTIDEPRESSANTS!

https://www.stjude.org/treatment

“A new finding
Recent research from England reports that depressed children and teens taking antidepressants thought about or attempted suicide more often than those not taking these drugs. In response to this report, the FDA reviewed the results of 24 research studies of children and teens. The patients in these studies were depressed or had other illnesses. Each patient took either a sugar pill or an antidepressant for 1 to 4 months.”

Prozac works for me but medication is different for all of us. You and your son need to speak to your Doctor about the options.

I've been taking medication off and on for over a decade and I've never had any undesirable effect from any drug. I thank God every day for these miraculous man-made chemicals.

Thank you.
These medicines aren't prescribed for the rest of your life best to change every couple of years they are a stop gap to be given with talk therapy and I know neurodiverse(schizophrenia,bipolar disorder etc) people who don't receive maximum therapy from them, apparently cbd oil is much more effective

New Threads

Top Bottom