• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Programming

merithra

Merithra of the Dream
Hello,

I am curious as to how many programmers we have on here, I enjoy discussing programming and computing related subjects so I figured I would ask the question "how many of you are programmers or are interested in it?"

I am a hobbyist Golang and Python dev, I build things within my spare time for fun and to help improve my knowledge within tech.

I use Processing.py and Lua to create most of my art these days, if that counts! I really want to get into legit DSP next year.

I also really like fantasy console gamedev, even though I'm not really that awesome with it yet. Pico 8, Basic 8 and even Fuze4 have been a blast to mess around in!

Not really sure if Arduino and scriptable games count, but I'm a huge fan of those as well

Last edited:
I am into programming and i mostly stick to C++ and Verilog. Right now i am working on an assembler and a virtual machine.

I also really like fantasy console gamedev, even though I'm not really that awesome with it yet. Pico 8, Basic 8 and even Fuze4 have been a blast to mess around in!
I am planning on writing on online manual on how to build a computer from the ground up. Most likely it's going to be a retro video game console. It would involve everything from a basic compiler to assembler and hardware design. The console itself would be run on an FPGA.

I program, but there's no way I'm going to call myself a programmer.

Python, Arduino, if that counts, also Linux shell scripting, if that counts. Not wrote a Windows batch script or a Powershell script in a while, if those count.

Can't wait to get into the Raspberry Pi Pico at some point, maybe make some custom USB peripherals, mod an XBOX 360 and a Gamecube with it as well.

I've done game-dev work (contracted) with an indie studio... 1 fully released game, 2 expansions for that, and an expansion for a previous game they'd done.

But I dont know that I'd call that programming, not really. Technically it was XML scripting, my role in it (enemy/boss and bullet pattern design) didnt need more. And anything I write is usually a ridiculous spaghetti mess anyway.

To be honest the main reason I havent learned much in the way of programming beyond that is simple: I dont know what in the world to do with it.

I have ideas to make my own game, entirely on my own, but... there's no way in heck I'd program that from scratch, I dont have the undying patience to do that. That'd take absolutely bloody forever. I'll likely use Clickteam Fusion or one of those sorts for that (it's a 2D game I'm wanting to make, so I dont need Unity). I dont need to know any programming languages for those and they'd take like 1/100th of the time it'd take me to code anything from scratch.

And beyond that... yeah, I dont know what I'd do with it. I've never been able to think of anything, there's nothing to make.

I dabble a bit, anyone who had computers back in the 80s had to learn Basic. In the 90's I studied C and C++ at home, but only because I got seriously frustrated playing NetHack and wanted to build in a couple of cheats for myself. A little bit of game editing and modding here and there over the years, including minor contributions to a few open source projects.

I was a programmer before I retired. I was self taught for the most part. Had an introductory course in Fortran 4 in college in the latter part of the 60s, then forgot about it until the mid seventies. Learned to program in innate machine code for early Intel microprocessors (8008, 8080, 8086, etc.). Graduated to Microsoft ASM. I also picked up Basic along the way then C and C++ in the latter part of my working life. I also created my own ASM code for a machine, then wrote a compiler for it in a mainframe computer's ASM code to result in a prom to drive a product that converted EBCDIC to ASCII or the reverse (reading it from a magnetic card and writing the results back to it).

So yes, I was deeply into programming and made my living at it. Funny thing though, I have not programmed anything since I retired. I did it and now I am happy to not do it, but I still get roped into dealing with computer or phone programming problems on occasion. ;)

I was using AMOS on the ol' Amiga 500, but then Commodore quit and closed its doors. And I was so disappointed and upset about it that the interest disappeard with Amiga. They should never have quit, it was the best machine.

Last edited:
I was using AMOS on the ol' Amiga 500, but then Commodore quit and closed it doors. And I was so disappointed and upset about it that the interest disappeard with Amiga. They should never have quit, it was the best machine.
The Amiga was the most revolutionary architecture of any personal computer at the time of its introduction. Should have become the industry leader but commodore was a game company and the Amiga was so much more. It had voice synthesis built into its operating system and had three microprocessors each dedicated to its own function. It was years before the widows based computers caught up to some extent.

I had mine and used it quite a bit until commodore pulled the plug. I was deeply saddened by its demise. :(

To be honest the main reason I havent learned much in the way of programming beyond that is simple: I dont know what in the world to do with it.
I am in some programming discords and most people work on the same type of projects, the majority of them are done just for the hobby or the "art" and not because they are particularly useful. What i often see is game engines (or anything with graphics), a compiler for a diy toy language, a text editor or maybe a terminal and that's about it. Some also like to write libraries that no one will use. And people also program because its their job of course. Most people that program for the hobby don't seem to make anything that is particularly useful or hasn't been made before.

Last edited:
I have ideas to make my own game, entirely on my own, but... there's no way in heck I'd program that from scratch, I dont have the undying patience to do that. That'd take absolutely bloody forever. I'll likely use Clickteam Fusion or one of those sorts for that (it's a 2D game I'm wanting to make, so I dont need Unity). I dont need to know any programming languages for those and they'd take like 1/100th of the time it'd take me to code anything from scratch.
There is a framework called love2d that lets you make 2d games in lua. Lua is a really simple language, easier to learn than python even.
And if whatever you want to make is simple enough you wouldn't really need to implement a game engine or large foundation anyway.

Last edited:
There is a framework called love2d that lets you make 2d games in lua. Lua is a really simple language, easier to learn than python even.
And if whatever you want to make is simple enough you wouldn't really need to implement a game engine or large foundation anyway.

Aye, Love has been suggested to me before, but it generally wouldnt work.

Aside from needing like 50 years to make what could be done in 2 minutes, there's also just high complexity. Bullet hell stuff is the main thing I know how to do (with like 10 bazillion sprites on screen during average gameplay, among other things happening) and some other stuff that's just... harder to describe.

Also I cant do math. Like, whatsoever. Zero understanding of it. I actually strongly suspect dyscalculia at this point but I cant be sure without an actual diagnosis on that one.

Aye, Love has been suggested to me before, but it generally wouldnt work.
That could have been me, because apparently i made almost the exact same post regarding love2d more than a year ago.
You can also develop 2d games with love2d it uses the Lua language. Lua is about as easy if not easier than python

The Amiga was the most revolutionary architecture of any personal computer at the time of its introduction. Should have become the industry leader but commodore was a game company and the Amiga was so much more. It had voice synthesis built into its operating system and had three microprocessors each dedicated to its own function. It was years before the widows based computers caught up to some extent.

I had mine and used it quite a bit until commodore pulled the plug. I was deeply saddened by its demise. :(

They released the CD32, a 32 bit CD-ROM gaming console, the first one. It should have been a hit but it brought down the entire company. It was so disappointing. I was depressed for a while when Commodore went bankrupt.

Hello,

I am curious as to how many programmers we have on here, I enjoy discussing programming and computing related subjects so I figured I would ask the question "how many of you are programmers or are interested in it?"

I am a hobbyist Golang and Python dev, I build things within my spare time for fun and to help improve my knowledge within tech.
Sweet! GoLang, Python, C, little bit of 32/64 ASM, little bit of Swift for Apple dev. Touched some Java and C# as well for cross platform development.

Wrote my own network scanner in Java, Python and Go. Love writing encryption programs for some weird reason...wrote simple encryption progs in C#, Java and python. I love seeing the output for some reason...I can't explain why. Never released them, just enjoyed doing it. :)

I'm the anti-thesis programmer, just never had an interest, have the right type of mind logical by rights should be a natural. two of my brothers are good programmers. I guess my mind works different programming is too structured, my mind is a bit too scattered.

Last edited:
I used to really enjoy programming, and using what I wrote, but I don't have the attention span for that now.

I’ve worked as a programmer for 25 years. I currently work in straight C (not even C++) for embedded systems running a Linux variant.

My favorite work is when math and programming overlap. I’m probably a little better than mediocre programmer and a pretty good mathematician. But in that area where the two meet, I kick butt.

I love finding the fastest way to calculate something. Several times, I’ve been able to solve mathematical computation problems that have made the difference between releasing a product or cancelling it. I won’t pretend that any were groundbreaking problems, but they’re things that I was happy to work on and things that the other programmers I work with didn’t know how to approach.

New Threads

Top Bottom