• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Problem with noise from autistic neighbour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat_1234567890

Hello!
I would like to ask about a specific behaviour of my neighbour which happens to be autistic and how to best handle it.

He lives in the apartment right up mine. I have first noticed weird noises back in 2013. Weird, repetitive, almost mechanic sounding short outbursts of laughter at all times but most annoyingly, also late at night - like 2-3 in the morning. They weren't very loud back then so I convinced myself I have to tolerate this, though they were annoying.

With the time they got much louder, to the point of waking me at night and making falling asleep impossible. I had to use earplugs basically every night. At that point I thought of complaining thousand of times but was afraid of confrontation and conflict... so I tried to brush it away every morning, after getting totally pissed (almost) each night.
It was just couple of nights ago that I finally concluded this is unbearable... since some time already, the laughter was totally wild, laud.... starting for example at 2 am and continuing in regular outbursts till 6 am. So I wrote a couple of sentences, saying basically "Please respect the noise curfew from 10 pm to 6 am (which is a local law here) and explaining that the noises I hear almost every night are waking me up ad that I will complain to the flat owners community (we have such a thing here) if it doesn't stop. I threw the message into his mailbox.

I live in a country where the language spoken is not my native (not English which is also not my native, in case anybody missed it ;)) and my listening comprehension is not perfect. He is a native speaker.

So today he rang at my door... His first sentence (as I think now) was "I'm an autist living upstairs", than he said his surname. I dismissed the word "autist" since I thought at the moment I misheard and he said something else... Then he asked, what noises you mean. I said, this insane laughter. He appeared very surprised and said, how come, I don't make any noises, don't laugh aloud and at night I'm asleep. It didn't look like acting, he looked very genuinely baffled saying this... But I said, come on, why are you doing this, we both know what I'm speaking about, nobody else lives in your apartment so it must be you. Then I tried to explain to him that at night the noises sound really loud and I said, I can even hear when you walk, I know when you're not sleeping at night. I said, last night was quiet but the night before it started just after 4am and continued until about 5:30. He said, he was asleep at that time - not in an arguing tone but with disbelief.

Then he started to sound very apologetic, like "I'll try to be as quiet as possible" etc. to the point where I felt guilty, so I tried to make clear I don't want a fight or something, I just want to have peace at night. I said, I'm glad he came and we talked.
He went up and in a minute he's ringing again.... standing there with a pack of Snickers. :D I accepted them, said that's really cute, did my best to sound super kind and said I didn't want to cause him a distress... at that point I really felt bad about the whole situation.

After that I kept thinking about how he could have used such an absurd defense, denying everything, and how it somehow looked genuine, as if he wasn't aware of making these noises. He even said at one point "is this possible that I do it while asleep" to which I said, I can hear you walking (surely not only me, it sounds like a hoard of elephants, frankly) so I know you're not sleeping. It just didn't make sense why he'd deny this. Then I remembered the word I disregarded at the time... and suddenly it clicked.

I had only like 2-3 interactions with him in the past but he was always super awkward... like looking at the floor while speaking to me... or not saying anything when I brought him his parcel (he just opened the door to the necessary minimum and grabbed it). Once he came to me to pick up his parcel and he looked as if he was paralyzed with fear - head down, looking at the floor and speaking with this squeaky voice, like when you're so stressed your throat kind of locks up (I suffered from it as a teenager so I know ;)).
It's kind of weird to me I didn't recognize this as autism, which I had read quite a bit about.
He may be in his late 30s, lives on his own, seems generally to manage well, so guess he's the so called "high functioning" autist.

Now my question is:
Is it possible that he's genuinely not aware he has this loud outbursts of laughter? Or not aware of how loud they are? Is it possible that he doesn't recall that just in the last week he stayed up all night up until 5 or 6 am, on a couple of succeeding nights? Or that he has generally quite awkward sleeping patterns, often staying up until morning hours? (And then he sometimes gets up just 2-3 hours later - I wish I could do that!)

I have googled an article on a self-awareness in autistic people (Understanding the Self in Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD): A Review of Literature) so I am aware they have generally problems in this area but can it have these specific manifestations?

Or was he just regularly lying, maybe not being aware of how absurd his denial sounds? (which actually would also hint at some lack of self-awareness)

And then of course, can I do something now, after this exchange? I don't want him to feel intimidated or something but would like these noises to stop.
Have I done something wrong and can I correct it? What do you advice generally?

(And thanks to everybody who read all of above, I like to be specific and well... also like to write so it mostly comes out looooooooooooooooooooong.)

Noise issues with neighbors of all types are very common.

As far as seeming awkward in social interactions, that is likely due to his being on the spectrum. Difficulty in social situations is one of the more common traits.

As far as lying goes, people on the spectrum are about the same as anyone else. If there is any difference they might be a little less prone to lie rather then more likely to do so.

Assuming a mistake hasn't been made and he is the source of the noise, his evasiveness about owning up to it may be more due to embarrassment rather then deceit.

That said, he has responded in a somewhat positive way. Has the noise decreased since you talked with him?

It's possible that he isn't aware of how loud he is, or of what time it is (he thinks it's 11pm but it's actually 1am), or that you are mistaken about where the noise is actually coming from - it could be a neighbour who is making the noise and not him. He could also be in denial about the problem initially, and then (edit) realised that yes, he is making a lot of noise.

It probably took a lot of courage to knock on your door to ask you about the note.

Last edited:
It seems to me that both you and the upstairs neighbor handled this pretty well, so give yourself credit and give him credit, too.

I would suggest that since he lives alone, and I'm gathering he doesn't go to a job, he may be at times completely unaware of night and day.

It might be helpful if you could take some sound recordings of the walking and laughing, on a device that attaches a time stamp. I would ask him in advance if that's okay with him, so that he doesn't feel defensive if you present him with the data afterwards.

Let us know how things are going. I feel you are handling this pretty well.

Thanks for both replies.
Yes, I was also surprised he knocked on my door and acted much less awkward then other times. But maybe he has better and worse periods...

I'm 10000% sure he is the source of the noise, this point is out of any discussion.
As to the time - whether 11pm or 1am, the curfew is since 22pm. He starts his noises at 2 am and continues till 5 or 6. I don't think he's not aware it's LATE at that point. I think it's much more likely he may be so much absorbed by whatever he's watching (or whatever he's doing there) that he's not aware of him laughing, or how loud it is. But this was my question to you.
I would really like you to answer the questions in my post, not to write some general truisms. I have read about autism, just out of my personal interest, and you don't have to explain to me the basics.
I hope to get answers to my specific questions.

Thanks also to GadAbout.
I think taking recordings would just blow it out of proportions which is exactly what I don't want and what actually kept me from acting for all those years.
Not that I have an appropriate device either.
Oh and @Tom: this conversation happened just hours ago, this will be 1st night. I'm hopeful. :)

Hi Kat. I will say that noises from upstairs sounds much louder from where you are. I live downstairs and upstairs happens to be my son and his family, which includes basically 5 adults. When I'm upstairs it seems quiet but from down here it sounds like they could be stomping and being 10 times louder than they actually are being. Sometimes it sounds like the ceiling is going to cave in. The floor seems to be like an amplifier and that's always going to be a disadvantage to living in a lower apartment/flat.
It is possible he could be a sleep walker and do the laughing in his sleep, which he would not be aware of and would not be able to control. Could be haunted noises. :) I think the best solution would be to have music playing softly just to help drown out the noises at night. I used to play soft music when my babies would be sleeping so they would not be wakened by any sudden noises - it tends to blend in better and not be so alarming.
With autism, for him to come and talk to you was very difficult, which tells me he is making attempts - or (if he's really unable to control the noises - sleep laughing and sleep walking) he's trying to make friends so you might not be so angry with him. It's a tough situation.
At one time I lived in an upstairs apartment and working nights, I was always up all night every night when I was home. I knew upstairs noises are amplified so I would try to tiptoe around at night and not do anything that would make noises. My downstairs neighbor would still hear me. And when I say I tried to be quiet - no tv, walked as light as possible, no talking, nothing that would make noise.

He probably isnt lying. He is either unaware of noise level/time of day or you are mistaken about the source of the noise.
Neighbors are noisy.

aa6db7a4dff650e67f4c5a56846d6de5.jpg
I think it's a problem every person with an upstairs neighbor deals with, that's why it was so easy to find a meme about it. :)

@Pats: thanks for the meme, that's very true :D
But I'm really not looking for advice as to how to deal with a noise. I've been dealing with it for 6 years now, so believe me, I'm a pro.

@BraidedPony and others: I'm not talking about just any noises, I'm talking about INSANE, LAUD OUTBURSTS OF LAUGHTER AT 2-6AM, repeated in like 1-2 mins intervals. And no, he's not sleeping at the time, which you'd conclude too, if you could hear it. You can recognize it from the noises that accompany the laughter (like walking or going to bathroom - which I accept one has to tolerate in a building like this).

And why are we even discussing the noises.... this was totally not the point. The point is the denial and the problems with self-awareness in autistic people - whether this may be at play here.

I learned the hard way not to live underneath anyone. Took only a single experience of living on the second story of a three-story apartment building. The first two tenants were relatively quiet. Hardly heard a thing from them. But the third tenants would drop their shoes as if they were flinging them off their feet at night, and making equally as much of a "thud" very early in the morning. I moved, and vowed to never live underneath any tenant ever again.

It always seems considerably more expensive to take that top story unit, but from my perspective it's worth it. Though noise above or below you is only half the battle, given how sound may travel through walls apart from floors. Moving to Nevada I have found that apartment unit architecture can be relatively similar in terms of how quiet or noisy they can be. Taught me to avoid one of them at all costs, given the paper-thin walls and floors that transmitted sound so easily.

Made me appreciate those living in very old "brownstone" apartments back east with much more solid building materials not used in earthquake country. Where you couldn't hear much of anything.

These days my noise problem isn't any tenant, but rather the pigeons who have chosen to nest above me on the roof. The incessant and loud groaning they make drives me nuts. So every so many minutes I bang on the gutters from my balcony to shoo them away. But of course, they always come back. Pigeons are quite a nuisance all around town here for any number of reasons.

But no matter what your issues may be, in the end more often than not there's little to nothing one tenant can do about another tenant. It's the ultimate drawback of renting in a high-density unit setting. Autistic or not. :(

@Kat_1234567890

"I've been dealing with it for 6 years now, so believe me, I'm a pro
."

If that's the case, then there is no problem.
And whether the fellow is on the spectrum or not isn't a concern.

@tree:
Yes, the noises are not the problem here.

These were my questions:

Is it possible that he's genuinely not aware he has this loud outbursts of laughter? Or not aware of how loud they are? Is it possible that he doesn't recall that just in the last week he stayed up all night up until 5 or 6 am, on a couple of succeeding nights? Or that he has generally quite awkward sleeping patterns, often staying up until morning hours? (And then he sometimes gets up just 2-3 hours later - I wish I could do that!)

I have googled an article on a self-awareness in autistic people (Understanding the Self in Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD): A Review of Literature) so I am aware they have generally problems in this area but can it have these specific manifestations?

@tree:
Yes, the noises are not the problem here.

These were my questions:

You mean is this is a manifestation of "mind blindness" ? An inability of one on the spectrum to be aware of the thoughts and concerns of others.

It's entirely possible I suppose, though in this context (a noisy-neighbor) it would seem to be a moot point. ;)

In my experience as a renter, I'd say in most cases fellow tenants (regardless of their neurological orientation) seemed to be indifferent towards the considerations of their neighbors in general.

Last edited:

Or was he just regularly lying, maybe not being aware of how absurd his denial sounds? (which actually would also hint at some lack of self-awareness)

None of this sounds like a part of Autism, as far as I know. I don't see how anyone could partake in that behavior and be 100% unaware of it. That sounds like insanity to me.

The theory of sleepwalking and sleeplaughing also sounds ridiculous to me.

I have never heard of Autism having these specific manifestations. My first thought was that you must simply be wrong about the source of the noise. Otherwise, it just sounds like the opening to a horror story.

I don't think you did anything wrong. That sounds like something I would do. As of now, I don't think there's anything to "fix". I'm just curious to know if there's any change from this point on. If there is, that would indicate he was simply lying, but from what you said, that didn't sound like the case to me.

It's all very odd to me. I feel as if information is missing.

@Kat_1234567890
So, you have unbearable curiosity regarding your neighbor's neurology.

I don't believe it's possible to answer those questions you posed, for several reasons.
No one on this forum, aside from you, has ever met the man.
Any answers to your questions would be purely speculative.

Ok, I'm quitting.
Sorry for having the tenacity for asking a question (!!!!) in a public forum. And expecting an ANSWER??! As if THIS was a point of asking questions???!!
How have a dared.... deepest apologies to everybody. Enjoy your echo chamber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom