• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Problem with hyper fixation

Owliet

The Hidden One.
As I’ve mentioned before, I recently got a job in August that is (for the moment although I’m not expecting it to be more)contacted for a year as a cover. It is demanding, especially considering that I’ve gone from 0% to 100% working, and naturally in the environment that I’m in the aftermath at the end of the day leaves me feeling drained. However, I seem to have developed to become a workaholic or what my psychiatrist described it to be on our last session “hyper fixation”. One of the problems that I’ve experienced before I came home for Christmas is that I would be so consumed by focusing on work that I didn’t really eat or drink properly OR have appropriate downtime. On the plus, I’ve been highly productive, this is great considering that I’ve got quite a lot to do work-wise as the cover left me with nothing so I’ve had to do everything myself (This is great experience for me and shows that I’m capable) however, I’m too focused and don’t realize anything else outside my focus bubble. It’s not too much of a big deal socially wise. As bad as this may sound, at the moment being social is not a focus for me. But I’m having problems with focusing on self care. This is my first real job and whilst I want to do the very best I can do.

Does anyone else experience this? How do you manage this?

I may have done this in the past, where I worked 22 hours straight a few times to complete a project on time. This was before I was diagnosed with ASD. Even now, I have an internal need to complete work on time.

The biggest thing that helped me was medication, Escitalopram taken in the morning for anxiety and Doxepin and Melatonin at night before going to bed. I also stop working at a set time everyday, and have gotten in the habit of streaming shows or movies which I enjoy in the evening. Not sure, but this seems to work because I look forward to watching television.

Congratulations of your success working.

I may have done this in the past, where I worked 22 hours straight a few times to complete a project on time. This was before I was diagnosed with ASD. Even now, I have an internal need to complete work on time.

The biggest thing that helped me was medication, Escitalopram taken in the morning for anxiety and Doxepin and Melatonin at night before going to bed. I also stop working at a set time everyday, and have gotten in the habit of streaming shows or movies which I enjoy in the evening. Not sure, but this seems to work because I look forward to watching television.

Congratulations of your success working.
Not sure about meds but could speak to psych when I see him on Monday about it. How did you manage the set time — did you set an alarm?

The ability to focus is often considered an asset from an employer's perspective,...and is why some employers (who are aware of this common autistic trait) will actually seek out autistics for certain positions. As an autistic with this trait, it certainly has its pros and cons. My work environment involves a considerable amount of social interaction, as well as the sensory issues associated with obnoxious medical alarms, etc. Personally, I have found that frequently taking what I call "mini-breaks",...5-10 minutes in a bathroom, locker room, equipment closet,...where ever,...collect myself,...then continue on. It's finding that balance of being productive, but also pacing myself,...without co-workers noticing my routine. My ability to focus,...despite my little mini breaks,...has allowed me to still work at a pace that exceeds my co-workers. I can still get things done within a timely manner with a high level of detail. I will have my 35 year anniversary with the company the first week in January,...something is working,...they haven't fired me yet.:D

However, I do understand the potential downsides of hyper-fixation or extreme focus. At home when I am doing research or working on something, I have skipped meals, forgotten to shower and get dressed, the house a bit of a mess,...the wife comes home in the evening,...she's like "WTH!" At some level, now-a-days, she understands,...earlier in our marriage, she clearly didn't,...and at an emotional level, she still gives me a verbal lashing.

Last edited:
Schedulling self care works really well for me.

Sometimes, when I have had to work a lot of overtime, I might even have to schedule showers or other chores into my day.

That way, instead of having two different mind sets, "work mind" and "me mind", I can opperate fully in one mind. I hope that makes sense.

6 a.m. wake
6 -6:30 breakfast
6:30-6:45 shower
6:45-7:00 dress
7:00-8:00 work commute
If I arrive early, get a cup of coffee
8:00-8:15 review days tasks
8:15-8:30 read and respond to priority emails
8:30-8:45 department meeting
8:45-9:00 overflow time incase emails or department meeting go longer

You get the idea. Scheduling in 15 minute blocks worked well for me. Schedule breaks, lunch, and personal tasks in same way I schedule work tasks. Every couple of hours schedule in 15 minutes of unassigned time. This pads your day so that you can be more flexible if tasks take longer than expected.

After a little while you don't need to "schedule" so much as each block has become habit.

WARNING: Never let anyone encroach on your scheduled time. "No, I am sorry, I am not available then. Will 4 p.m. work for you?" 4 p.m. is random, it just represents one of you built in 15 minute blocks of unassigned time. It is important that you maintain control of your day and not let others push you around or dictate how you spend your time as much as possible.

Of course, one can't do this with every kind of job. @Neonatal RRT would have a very hard time working this way because of what he does. But it might give you some ideas you can implement into your own work day.

Not sure about meds but could speak to psych when I see him on Monday about it. How did you manage the set time — did you set an alarm?

I just set a reminder on Outlook on my work computer. At one time I could not sleep longer that 90 minutes without waking up. Now I sleep at least six hours, and sometimes take a nap after working. You just have to find a way to relax your mind when you stop working. Streaming shows doles that for me. Chess also works for me, except then I hyperfocus on chess.

Last edited:
The ability to focus is often considered an asset from an employer's perspective,...and is why some employers (who are aware of this common autistic trait) will actually seek out autistics for certain positions. As an autistic with this trait, it certainly has its pros and cons. My work environment involves a considerable amount of social interaction, as well as the sensory issues associated with obnoxious medical alarms, etc. Personally, I have found that frequently taking what I call "mini-breaks",...5-10 minutes in a bathroom, locker room, equipment closet,...where ever,...collect myself,...then continue on. It's finding that balance of being productive, but also pacing myself,...without co-workers noticing my routine. My ability to focus,...despite my little mini breaks,...has allowed me to still work at a pace that exceeds my co-workers. I can still get things done within a timely manner with a high level of detail. I will have my 35 year anniversary with the company the first week in January,...something is working,...they haven't fired me yet.:D

However, I do understand the potential downsides of hyper-fixation or extreme focus. At home when I am doing research or working on something, I have skipped meals, forgotten to shower and get dressed, the house a bit of a mess,...the wife comes home in the evening,...she's like "WTH!" At some level, now-a-days, she understands,...earlier in our marriage, she clearly didn't,...and at an emotional level, she still gives me a verbal lashing.

Yeah, I have the same issue with my wife at times. I am getting better though, with greater awareness.

Schedulling self care works really well for me.

Sometimes, when I have had to work a lot of overtime, I might even have to schedule showers or other chores into my day.

That way, instead of having two different mind sets, "work mind" and "me mind", I can opperate fully in one mind. I hope that makes sense.

6 a.m. wake
6 -6:30 breakfast
6:30-6:45 shower
6:45-7:00 dress
7:00-8:00 work commute
If I arrive early, get a cup of coffee
8:00-8:15 review days tasks
8:15-8:30 read and respond to priority emails
8:30-8:45 department meeting
8:45-9:00 overflow time incase emails or department meeting go longer

You get the idea. Scheduling in 15 minute blocks worked well for me. Schedule breaks, lunch, and personal tasks in same way I schedule work tasks. Every couple of hours schedule in 15 minutes of unassigned time. This pads your day so that you can be more flexible if tasks take longer than expected.

After a little while you don't need to "schedule" so much as each block has become habit.

WARNING: Never let anyone encroach on your scheduled time. "No, I am sorry, I am not available then. Will 4 p.m. work for you?" 4 p.m. is random, it just represents one of you built in 15 minute blocks of unassigned time. It is important that you maintain control of your day and not let others push you around or dictate how you spend your time as much as possible.

Of course, one can't do this with every kind of job. @Neonatal RRT would have a very hard time working this way because of what he does. But it might give you some ideas you can implement into your own work day.

thank you for taking the time with this, I’ll give it a try.

I have been hyper focused in the past , but hunger breaks the tendency or going for a break They tended to leave me alone when I was working. The results were more important.

As I’ve mentioned before, I recently got a job in August that is (for the moment although I’m not expecting it to be more)contacted for a year as a cover. It is demanding, especially considering that I’ve gone from 0% to 100% working, and naturally in the environment that I’m in the aftermath at the end of the day leaves me feeling drained. However, I seem to have developed to become a workaholic or what my psychiatrist described it to be on our last session “hyper fixation”. One of the problems that I’ve experienced before I came home for Christmas is that I would be so consumed by focusing on work that I didn’t really eat or drink properly OR have appropriate downtime. On the plus, I’ve been highly productive, this is great considering that I’ve got quite a lot to do work-wise as the cover left me with nothing so I’ve had to do everything myself (This is great experience for me and shows that I’m capable) however, I’m too focused and don’t realize anything else outside my focus bubble. It’s not too much of a big deal socially wise. As bad as this may sound, at the moment being social is not a focus for me. But I’m having problems with focusing on self care. This is my first real job and whilst I want to do the very best I can do.

Does anyone else experience this? How do you manage this?

You need to be careful. Going at this pace could lead to burnout.

You need to be careful. Going at this pace could lead to burnout.

oh yes, that’s what I feel like I was heading towards. I’m trying to implement ways to self care and downtime. Suzette’s advice is very useful. My mum is going to make a timetable for me as she’s been worried about it too.

New Threads

Top Bottom