• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Pretending to be in another time

FromEquestria2LA

Hi, all. I'm not sure where this goes, but I'll put it here.
-----
Do you ever dream of yourself in another time in history? I do, mostly in the 1980s and 1990s, and sometimes from the 1970s. Those were, I think, my favorite periods in history.

I live like it is the early 20th century but with the Internet. There are elements of the lifestyle my grandparents talked about which seemed, and were, a big improvement over the way we all live now. Not saying it is superior in all details or that I am better, but I feel more relaxed and think I am hanging on to some traditional ways that they wanted me to have.

I love the clothes, music and styles of the 20s - 40s.
But I also love scifi. If I could afford to I would happily live with all the style of that era but with replicators, transporters and warp drives.

1969…summer of love.

No really, I’d totally of been a groupie for the Beatles, The Animals, Hendrix, Joplin, any of them!

My ex-father-in-law almost made it to Woodstock. He got stuck in that traffic jam miles and miles outside the festival. He also told me about his first and only PCP trip….

I love the clothes, music and styles of the 20s - 40s.
But I also love scifi. If I could afford to I would happily live with all the style of that era but with replicators, transporters and warp drives.
Sci-fi was starting then, but it was far from the levels it would reach later in the century. Best example of 20s sci-fi was Metropolis, which was legitimately good.

-----
Do you ever dream of yourself in another time in history? I do, mostly in the 1980s and 1990s, and sometimes from the 1970s. Those were, I think, my favorite periods in history.
Not necessarily as though I’m there but I feel extremely disjointed about where I am in time. Often think it’s because I feel isolated.

Sci-fi was starting then, but it was far from the levels it would reach later in the century. Best example of 20s sci-fi was Metropolis, which was legitimately good.
Don't forget Flash Gordon. 1936.
Metropolis was almost a symbolic futurist vision.

"Ahhh,...the good old days when..." "When I was a kid,..." You've all heard older people reminiscing about a time when things seemed so much simpler, we had a stronger sense of community, you knew most of your neighbors, etc. If you had a television, it had only 2-4 channels,...everyone sat around the TV and watched the same programs,...and the news was the truth, not opinion. The population was far more patriotic,...if there was a crisis, everyone stopped what they were doing and directed their attention towards it,...like a bees in a hive. In a hypothetical war, the 1942-era Americans would mobilize and kick the living crap out of 2022-era Americans before they could even react because the 2022 Americans would be too busy arguing with each other on how best to deal with the crisis. People, in general, were not afraid of everything,...that rose with the cable news networks, op-ed programs, and the internet. However, for some marginalized communities, especially those who were non-white, non-male,...it sucked. Racism and gender discrimination was on full display,...everywhere,...children, teachers, your boss, billboards, magazines, cartoons, comedy shows,...it was pervasive. Bullying,...at school, the workplace,...there was always somebody you knew who was a bully, and had to deal with them. Of course,...we didn't have as many guns, but we had no problem getting into a fist fight and taking care of business that way. People had their politics and religion, but we talked about these things in private,...they weren't out in the open.

The good old days in our minds is often a bit of selective context. There definitely were things that were tough to deal with in every generation. As best as I can describe it is that each generation, decade, era,...all had things that didn't make them "good". It was just different.

"Ahhh,...the good old days when..." "When I was a kid,..." You've all heard older people reminiscing about a time when things seemed so much simpler, we had a stronger sense of community, you knew most of your neighbors, etc. If you had a television, it had only 2-4 channels,...everyone sat around the TV and watched the same programs,...and the news was the truth, not opinion. The population was far more patriotic,...if there was a crisis, everyone stopped what they were doing and directed their attention towards it,...like a bees in a hive. In a hypothetical war, the 1942-era Americans would mobilize and kick the living crap out of 2022-era Americans before they could even react because the 2022 Americans would be too busy arguing with each other on how best to deal with the crisis. People, in general, were not afraid of everything,...that rose with the cable news networks, op-ed programs, and the internet. However, for some marginalized communities, especially those who were non-white, non-male,...it sucked. Racism and gender discrimination was on full display,...everywhere,...children, teachers, your boss, billboards, magazines, cartoons, comedy shows,...it was pervasive. Bullying,...at school, the workplace,...there was always somebody you knew who was a bully, and had to deal with them. Of course,...we didn't have as many guns, but we had no problem getting into a fist fight and taking care of business that way. People had their politics and religion, but we talked about these things in private,...they weren't out in the open.

The good old days in our minds is often a bit of selective context. There definitely were things that were tough to deal with in every generation. As best as I can describe it is that each generation, decade, era,...all had things that didn't make them "good". It was just different.
Or maybe we just think Flash Gordon is cool.;)

Last edited:
I want to be in the 80s mostly for the fashions and music. That decade is a goldmine of inspiration for drag queens. I’d fit right into the drag scene and become one of the first not to focus on pageants and more on performances. And there were much better Barbies back then that still had quality to them and I’d buy the originals of fan favorites from that decade without pay high prices online.

I would not care for the 70s as I have far too many bad memories of my experiences then. I sorta like it now. But, just remember, some of the negative trends we suffer from got their start in the 70s. The financialization of our lives, the destruction of American Healthcare by the insurance industry, destruction of Unions and the rise of the minimum wage, part time, economy, MBAs crapifying everything they touch, the end of the social contract and corporations run for the exclusive profit of shareholders, the idea that people are more easily manipulated by keeping them ignorant and needy.

I’ve always wanted to go back in time to the Renaissance to see Michelangelo and other artists’ works when they were first revealed to the public and before some were altered because of the Vatican censorship campaign. I’d also like to see live in Pompeii and Herculaneum before Mt. Vesuvius erupted and buried the cities.

That one is actually thousands of years old. But I agree, it has been taken to extreames in my life time.
Of course I agree. Also, while positive in some respects, the atomization of interests and social outlook by cable networks and the internet has led to mass Dunning-Kreuger by creating echo chambers of deliberate ignorance as people decide to only pay attention to things that reinforce their biases and antisocial mental health issues. Previously, it took religious brainwashing to accomplish that, but our media, and Madison Avenue, since the day of Marshall McLuhan, has fine tuned its manipulation of us.

A common thought for me over the years. However as a student of history, I could never find that magic moment in time that endured for very long. Consequently I realized that longing to live in a different time wasn't very practical compared to longing to live in another place.

One with a very different history and culture- with far less strife and violence, and far more productivity.

What would it be like to be a Swiss citizen? :cool:

-----
I can say I feel most times that I'm not even on the right planet.

I want to be in the 80s mostly for the fashions and music. That decade is a goldmine of inspiration for drag queens. I’d fit right into the drag scene and become one of the first not to focus on pageants and more on performances. And there were much better Barbies back then that still had quality to them and I’d buy the originals of fan favorites from that decade without pay high prices online.
Buy some really polyester woven knee socks and polyester shirts ,infact try all polyester clothing and go somewhere that really stresses you ,three quarters of the decade was that, a quarter was light comfortable cotton clothing ,no mobile phones, jumping out of your skin when the phone rang ,you didn't see people bumping into lamp posts ,lip gloss smelled terrible

Of course I agree. Also, while positive in some respects, the atomization of interests and social outlook by cable networks and the internet has led to mass Dunning-Kreuger by creating echo chambers of deliberate ignorance as people decide to only pay attention to things that reinforce their biases and antisocial mental health issues. Previously, it took religious brainwashing to accomplish that, but our media, and Madison Avenue, since the day of Marshall McLuhan, has fine tuned its manipulation of us.

Of course, for much of history religion was largely manipulated by the political sphere solely for the purpose of controlling the masses. Religion was (is?) the social media of the last 2 millenia.

@FromEquestria2LA , my appologies for the thread hijack!

Sometimes I feel like I should have been born in the mid-2000s :confused:
There are a lot of similarities between me, and some of today’s teens (for better or for worse :confused:)

But I am a child of the 90s and I still enjoy the music and other media from that era, and sometimes the fashion.

And I would like to go back to the time before Facebook, Instagram, Tiktok, Snapchat, and whatever else came into existence, and convince everyone not to go forward with creating them lol. My life is better without any of those! And people were less mean! (But still kind of mean)

New Threads

Top Bottom