• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Prescription sunglasses

Unclewolverine

Has anyone been able to get prescription sunglasses because of being on the spectrum?
I dont need vision correction but bright sunlight has always given me headaches, the snow makes it worse and cheap sunglasses help, but not a lot.

I've been using prescription sunglasses most of my life. Now I've changed over to really strong photochromic lenses. And I do need bifocals now that I'm getting older and up close doesn't work anymore. Didn't get them because of autism but I can see how they'd be useful.

I don't know of a way to get them as a medical benefit for a disability, though. They just hand out cheap plastic things you wear over your regular lenses.

My suggestion is to not use cheap sunglasses. Get quality lenses, preferably polarized. Get a retaining loop that goes around your neck for when you take them off. I used to wear contacts so I'd wear a nice pair of aviators any time I was outside. Watch them like a hawk because mine always ended up missing in action.

Best Aviator Sunglasses for Men in 2022 [Buying guide] - GearHungry

Last edited:
Yes. I once worked with a woman technician who I now believe was on the spectrum. She was an excellent worker who was disturbed by the intense flourescent lighting we worked under. To accommodate her, Health Safety supplied her with appropriate sunglasses.

Has anyone been able to get prescription sunglasses because of being on the spectrum?
I dont need vision correction but bright sunlight has always given me headaches, the snow makes it worse and cheap sunglasses help, but not a lot.
you don't need to get expensive sunglasses just get ones with dark green lenses , most advice is probably for neurotypicals which would be amber coloured lenses which are usually advised for migraine sufferers

If you can't your sunglasses covered by insurence or the n.h.s., Costco has the best prices. You can choose your lens shade and even add polorization.

If you can't your sunglasses covered by insurence or the n.h.s., Costco has the best prices. You can choose your lens shade and even add polorization.
Good recommendation. For my prescription glasses, I was pleased at the prices and quality at Costco. For sunglasses, though, I prefer glass lenses (with no correction) and was able to order a quality pair from American Optical.

Never would of guessed green lenses, I have always preferred amber. But green makes sense, welding masks are tinted green and most auto glass has a slight green tint, i might have to try that.

New Threads

Top Bottom