• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Preparing for visitors

How to prepare for a social visit

• Pretend to be away!

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Tell them I’m busy

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Meet them somewhere else

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Make a white lie about an appointment

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

watersprite

lost
V.I.P Member
What do you do to get ready for an unexpected person(s) asking to visit?

The only thing I know, so far, is what someone recommended: to tell them a white lie about having an appointment. So that they can’t stay around very long.

I’m not used to houseguests.

You mean someone just shows up at your door and wants to hang out or something?? Who are these people? Can you remove them from your life? :eek:

You mean someone just shows up at your door and wants to hang out or something?? Who are these people? Can you remove them from your life? :eek:

Not quite
They’re friends of a relative of mine that I knew a few years ago.
I cannot allow anyone into my life as am recovering from abuse.

Called up, out of the blue, said they’re in town. Really random because this town is kind of off the beaten path.

You know I was just about to randomly vent about the same topic. I should probably lie down for this...

My entire life has been unexpected visitors coming unannounced or last minute. In our community, that's just what people do. People randomly show up, you're supposed to play hostess and offer whatever you can. As a kid, they would annoy with you questions like, do you remember me? And laugh at you if you don't. They might even throw in a 5 min lecture about how to live your life, who to marry, and what your job prospects are if you were a teenager or young adult. And half of these are just random friends of parents, or distant family that you've never met. This can happen any time, day or night.
And vacations = our parents taking us kids (morelike force) and go do the same at other people's houses, where people were even more intrusive and critical of you, even though you're their guests. It's called "socialing" and it was like water torture for this Aspie, as I was dubbed as one of the weird kids... and then later get chastised by the parentals in private for being too quiet. It was not until recently when I told them about my diagnosis that I finally told them I wasn't going to tolerate socialing anymore. Still have to endure random visitors but not as much. Anxiety is still there and will never go away.

Times like those where you guys who live in a society where you generally keep to yourselves don't know how lucky you are.

P.S. Definitely the appointment. I've done that quite a few times when I'm able to get away with it.

Last edited:
Not quite

Called up, out of the blue, said they’re in town. Really random because this town is kind of off the beaten path.

Sorry to hear this. This is why l don't let people into my life because of abuse. People say -hey l met someone and poof it's gone. But my abuse was very late in life and very long. Feel free to pm if you need to exorcise some ptsd demons.

I would suggest meeting somewhere else. I have a similar situation coming up. Someone I know but not too well is coming to may area for a holiday and wants to visit me, but I don't want them to visit me at home, so I'll suggest meeting somewhere else and then try to keep it short, maybe about an hour. I have social anxiety and although it's doable, I have a lot of anxiety.

I have a good excuse-my dogs. I had a woman stop me on one of my walks with the dogs and ask if she could stop by sometime. NO, NO, NO! I nicely asked her to give me a call before she does so I can corral my dogs. (It's true I have to corral my dogs before letting people in.) She never called.
I had another woman from up the road show up at my door unexpectedly. Her reason was to see inside my house to see what I had done with the place. It used to be a business a bar in it's most recent incarnation.
In my community people think nothing of stopping by for a chat. They see it as friendly. I see it as intrusive. As if I have nothing else to do with my day. I don't want to have to entertain people I barely know or don't know at all. It's hard enough to entertain those I do know.
I also don't want to have to worry about being judged. When people come to visit I want my house clean and my property to appear well taken care of. I have been criticized far too often when it hasn't lived up to others standards.

Say your pet Python got loose and you haven't been able to find it yet. But not to worry and come on over because it really is very friendly.

Not quite

Since they are not friends of yours, why even consider meeting with them? Tell them you are busy, and suggest that they meet with your relative.

@Rasputin That is a good point, & I’m arranging to meet at a coffee place.
The relative lives 800 miles away, & has cut this person out of their life.
I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt because he’s in town only briefly, & has behaved kindly to me in the past.
While I have, at times intense social anxiety, I don’t want it to utterly rule my life.

While I have, at times intense social anxiety, I don’t want it to utterly rule my life.

A very tough and common aspect of our lives. That quite often we have to push ourselves way outside our comfort zone socially. Hope it all goes well for you.

Nobody ever asks me for a visit, expectedly or unexpectedly. Don't know if I should be happy or sad. Every now and then the kids or my wife's friends will drop by but they know my idiosyncrasies so it isn't a problem.

@Au Naturel It seems perhaps I give the wrong impression here.

I live alone; no wife or husband or any work associates, no volunteer companions, or neighbors at least none that speak to me.

Last edited:
Maybe you should get a ferret, and a pair of goats to liven things up s bit?

Just kidding. I hope your visit goes well.

I am getting goats someday. I just have to build a rather long fence over rough terrain, build a pen to keep them in, build a barn(for milking) buy a guard dog, learn about goats in general and then i will be ready to go.

I collect old books, because i think they are neat. So i have one called "raising goats the modern way" it was published in 1978. What could possibly go wrong?

If you see in your minds eye a crazy old man dressed up in jedi robes chasing goats in the dark, well then....

I hope it all goes well with your visit. Sometimes i ask people to call me in the middle of a meeting, so i can hear a friendly voice...

I live alone too except for my animal friends, and a pet cat. Today i thought of the "jungle book" and a story called peace rock or something like that. In the story there is peace among all the critters during a drought.

The forrest friends are coming round for water its really hot.
20210528_092611.jpg

Last edited:
I have switched it over to saying we should arrange a day and time.....then never bring it up. I still have a goal in my head of learning to be some kind of a hostess to guests....but I have been too exhausted. Having someone over, no matter how casual, would mean I'd have to take off the next day at work, or the day after that, from exhaustion. And honestly, I think my conversational skills, and my weird looking home, wouldn't be very inviting to others....and then that would feel like yet another fail. So I feel very conflicted - but people wanting to just drop by suddenly??? Not happening, I would have way too much anxiety. Some relatives tried to do that and I couldn't handle it - we had to tell them I was too ill, and really, it was true. Another relative tried to plan a trip up here to spend a few days at least.....and then she dropped it. I was so glad. Massive anxiety, but felt obliged - I grew up in a family and culture where hospitality is king and so very normal. In my imaginary ideal, though, the home is clean, people think it looks interesting, not off-putting and weird - or don't notice it at all, and I have that knack of presenting really good sweets with coffee or tea....I haven't stretched it so far, even in my mind, to imagine that I also sever a really tasty meal. I would love to have that as a goal, to be a talented cook....but I have always struggled with clumsiness and distraction and lack of practice in the kitchen. I haven't even manage to consistently prepare the simplest of foods for myself while maintainng full-time work. Trying to decide whether I should keep that goal of cooking - wondering if it comes form within, or it's bowing to expectations from without...and how realistic it would be for me. I actually feel really embarrassed and ashamed of my lack of cooking talent. Not sure if that's because of a real inborn desire, or failure to live up to social standards.

Anyway, I hope no one has any surprise visits any time soon!

I have a good excuse-my dogs. I had a woman stop me on one of my walks with the dogs and ask if she could stop by sometime. NO, NO, NO! I nicely asked her to give me a call before she does so I can corral my dogs. (It's true I have to corral my dogs before letting people in.) She never called.
I had another woman from up the road show up at my door unexpectedly. Her reason was to see inside my house to see what I had done with the place. It used to be a business a bar in it's most recent incarnation.
In my community people think nothing of stopping by for a chat. They see it as friendly. I see it as intrusive. As if I have nothing else to do with my day. I don't want to have to entertain people I barely know or don't know at all. It's hard enough to entertain those I do know.
I also don't want to have to worry about being judged. When people come to visit I want my house clean and my property to appear well taken care of. I have been criticized far too often when it hasn't lived up to others standards.

Pretty much everything she said^^^

I cannot lie, I absolutely hate lying and don’t do it.

We have dogs, they are wild and scary. This works beautifully. One gets long drools off the side of his mouth (mastiff) and it’s really gross. I love how this works.

Will also agree that they may be checking up - no way I’d invite them over my vote is to meet them out. YOU DO NOT OWE ANYONE AN EXCUSE! It’s your life! Careful with sharing info (((hug)))

New Threads

Top Bottom