• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

prejudices you've experienced please

smith2267

My NT girlfriend reads this site, and I'd really love it if she could understand even a little of the prejudice we as aspies face. Employment discrimination, police harassment, bullying.
She thinks I'm exaggerating. So share some experiences please.

am a 49year old man still getting discrimination and thats in a autistic school were i teach students 5/19year .I get told by N/T i dont understand because i have aspergers i would say more but am to cross at the moment

im fairly normal and stuff but honestly id never share what i really am with a signifcant other because the fact is it comes with so much of a negitive perseption that honestly i think it would pretty much end the relationship then and there. i dont think if i told them they would see me as human i think they would see me as a computer or something like that. truth be told im afraid to ever be in a relationship just because im not sure i really want anyone to see the real me besides maybe family and a few close freinds.

Is this based on people knowing your "Aspie" or them just them seeing your different. I just found out I'm an aspie. When I was in school I was relentlessly bullied. From grade 6 till grade 11 there were very few days I was not chased home from school or picked on by my sister. The only friends I have only call me when they need computer help. People have always taken advantage of me. Authority never trusts me, even though it's incredibly difficult for me to lie.

To me this world is cruel, dark and lonely. If I did not have a cat I love intensely, I would not be here to type this.

Is this based on people knowing you are an aspie? I can't relate on that level, because i'm not diagnosed me and my family are just highly suspicious that i do have it. But i've always felt like people treat me different nonetheless because i've just always been different somehow. Despite all my efforts i could never get kids to want to include me back when i was a little kid in elementary school. Once a teacher told me off for watching a group of kids play on the playground all the time, said i was bothering them. By middle school i gave up on a social life. Even in highschool and throughout college (which i am still in) I couldn't get a job - i dont know why, i think i just dont present very well. I'm lucky i got a job period. And don't even get me started on how lonely life is as an aspie or how i dont believe i'll ever open up to anyone because no one ever takes me seriously and thinks i'm just not trying hard enough.

"I WILL SPEAK SLOWLY AND LOUDLY AND USE HAND GESTURES BECAUSE I HEARD YOU ARE AUTISTIC. DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME? WHY ARE YOU LAUGHING?"

You do not dress like everyone else. You do not talk like everyone else. You do not act like everyone else. You look like a dummy. You must be a dummy. Until they need something done that they can not do. Then I am not a dummy anymore.

My dad tries to prevent me from continuing my education, because he says that my Aspergers will make it impossible for me to get a job in that field.

What field?
Philosophy.
My dad has this big thing about how, if I try to become a philosophy professor, I will only get jobs through my personal affability. I've tried explaining that just because I'm getting a philosophy degree won't mean I will have to get a job as a professor. He has a Master's in philosophy, and he is the principal of an elementary school. But he thinks that he can get a job with a Master's in philosophy because he is NT, and I won't be able to get a job with an eventual phd in philosophy because I am ASD.

Philosophy.
My dad has this big thing about how, if I try to become a philosophy professor, I will only get jobs through my personal affability. I've tried explaining that just because I'm getting a philosophy degree won't mean I will have to get a job as a professor. He has a Master's in philosophy, and he is the principal of an elementary school. But he thinks that he can get a job with a Master's in philosophy because he is NT, and I won't be able to get a job with an eventual phd in philosophy because I am ASD.

Family matters can be very complicated. Your father is just trying influence you to do what he feels is best for you. I have done the same things with my kids. On the other hand, I want all my kids to be their own person. Maybe you should do what you think is best for you. In the long run, your dad will be proud of you.

Philosophy.
He has a Master's in philosophy, and he is the principal of an elementary school.

What state are you in? I thought most states required a Master's in administration for a school principal's job.

I think your father is right to some extent. There is definitely some degree of political schmoozing at post secondary schools for anyone wanting tenure.

On the otherhand, schmoozing doesn't publish papers which held to enhance a school's reputation.

I should point out that Temple Grand lin who is autistic but not an aspie due to her delayed language development is a professor at Colorado State. Instead of brown nosing for her tenure, she revolutionized the slaughterhouse industry and became a leading activist for autism.

New Threads

Top Bottom