• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Preferring to be alone?

Sir Bedlam

Independent Writer and Game Developer
Hello everyone,

I was wondering how common it is for people on the spectrum to prefer to be alone. At least, most of the time. I have Asperger's and ever since I was little, I've been quite content hanging out alone, in my own world. I've always spent a lot of time on the computer. However, I do get lonely and want to interact with others, it's just that I get overwhelmed so easily. So I mostly just talk to people long distance.

I also have a dissociative disorder, and being in large groups of people makes me dissociate without even realizing it. Sometimes when a person leaves the house and I'm alone, it's like the atmosphere changes and I suddenly feel calm. I want to eventually find a partner, and I know I have to step out of my comfort zone at least a little, but I'm just extremely sensitive to pretty much everything, and almost always anxious.

How common is this for those of you here? And does anyone have any advice as far as how to get better with it?

Hello everyone,

I was wondering how common it is for people on the spectrum to prefer to be alone. At least, most of the time. I have Asperger's and ever since I was little, I've been quite content hanging out alone, in my own world. I've always spent a lot of time on the computer. However, I do get lonely and want to interact with others, it's just that I get overwhelmed so easily. So I mostly just talk to people long distance.

I also have a dissociative disorder, and being in large groups of people makes me dissociate without even realizing it. Sometimes when a person leaves the house and I'm alone, it's like the atmosphere changes and I suddenly feel calm. I want to eventually find a partner, and I know I have to step out of my comfort zone at least a little, but I'm just extremely sensitive to pretty much everything, and almost always anxious.

How common is this for those of you here? And does anyone have any advice as far as how to get better with it?
it depends on how I’m feeling in one state I’m like the picture of an animal who doesn’t want to get into a carrier and then doesn’t want to get out, I don’t want anybody to come to the house when they do come I don’t want to leave, when I hear a human voice in the street I always say go away.

I certainly have always preferred being alone. I used to get lonely, but after the very intense loneliness (and subsequent depression) I experienced through junior high and high school, I think I'm immune now. It's like I was broken and then put back together without the piece that desires any kind of social relationship or interaction. That is one thing I'm not concerned about when I live on my own.

Thanks everyone for the replies! I suspected it might be common, but I guess it's nice actually reading about it from others. It's easy to feel alone. I do also flip back and forth. Sometimes I want interaction, then just a few minutes later I have no interest in it. I know my anxiety has at least something to do with it. I get lots of second thoughts.

I like being alone. My boyfriend and I live together, but we spend most of our time being alone together, if that makes sense.
Both of us spend a lot of time reading or playing video games so while we’re in the same room we don’t interact all the time.
We spend quality time together, but that’s usually reserved for the evenings.

I like being alone a lot of the time, but, don't like living alone constantly.
It is too easy for me to slip into depression and not want to do anything.
I need some interaction with another human and renting part of a big house,
I can be to myself most of the time although we go out together for dinner or
entertainment sometimes.
Sometimes we watch TV together. I like the nights though when I am alone in my part of
the house and can use the computer. I stay in my rooms a lot just listening to music or
watch a little TV alone.

It does feel like a clearer freedom when he isn't home. I feel like something is lifted
from me that is there even if we are in our seperate areas.
The feeling of always being aware he is in the house somehow just makes me feel not free.

I know how that dissociative feeling goes. I don't like it and it is related to anxiety.
I call it 'spaced out', that's how it feels to me.
I get it more when out in crowds or large stores. Retreat to a place to rest, be quiet and
to myself is the only relief when it hits. And I never know when it will. It happens suddenly.

I like having a lot of time to myself, and lately I've been learning to enjoy my own company more. But not always. Sometimes I get incredibly lonely and wish I had someone to talk to.

Hello everyone,

i too have aspergers & i balance being alone,wanting to be interacted with by others & being found a partner.

New Threads

Top Bottom