• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Preferred Communication Methods

Soleil

Is there a certain method of communication that you would prefer to use, for whatever reason?

I really prefer typing things out. I can speak and hear well enough, despite having a speech impediment and being hard of hearing. But even still, I find text-based communication so much less difficult.

It's not just that texting and typing give me time to get my thoughts in order, though. Listening to speech really does feel like it takes more effort than reading. And I'm so much more capable expressing myself with my keyboard than with my voice. I have almost no stamina when speaking and tire quickly. But not so much when typing. It's just way less effort for me.

Oh, and I really dislike radios and phone calls, but I'll use them when I have to (like for my therapy sessions).

Now, if I'm really upset or overwhelmed, then pretty much any kind of communication becomes extremely difficult, if not straight-up impossible.

I prefer texting. if i have to talk about something serious, i prefer in real life because of the respect the situation demands. I am a completely different person texting apparently. I feel liek thats whats inside of me i guess and people are not seeing that.

typing is the best way though because i can type quite fast.

i also prefer to talk as little as possible when communicating, eventhough that doesnt happen always if i get excited. Especially when people ask me if i need anything, which helps no one.

Huh. I consider typing and texting to be two very different things. If I have a difficult concept to get across then typing is maybe best. But that depends on who is to be digesting the information. There are some people who (even though not illiterate) simply don't absorb written information well.

I can speak and type fairly well, but texting is a pain. It can be good for non-urgent, simple question and answer. For me, it's a very poor way to communicate much of anything.

Generally I think it's great to have different ways of communicating to choose from.

In order of preference

Talking in person
Skype, etc second
Writing
Signaling (ie. flashlight, hand signals)
Telephone

I like drawing writing in a journal Or doing speech to text to figure out what to say when i’m trying to say something really important

Some people can't seem to hear me when I talk, and when they keep asking me to repeat myself I get nervous, blank out, and effectively become incoherent. In that sense, I find it easier to just write/text/IM.

But with people I'm not especially close to, I can come across as guarded (which I am) and unfriendly (which I'm not) in writing only, so I prefer face-to-face or even phone calls, if only to make it obvious that I'm more of an anxious/timid/awkward sort of person than an rude/arrogant one. (Although really most interactions don't end with me feeling good either way.)

Same here! If I could, I would text all I know, rather than talking, but sadly, they do not work like that ie nt.

The idea of having a mobile phone was obhorrant, due to the very nature of it, but when I discovered you can text, boy, that was full speed ahead for me lol

Typing but with a lot !!!of emojis the faces one is still very hard ,then hand writing again pictures,then just written English which at times is joint last with the telephone which would always be last G-d preserve me from multichoice options to access a service ,if I could unhear the last 5 years of my banks prerecorded voice,I would be years younger.

Speaking face to face first and then phone/skype

Zoom is a poor second but better than text or writing

Writing on a message board is OK so long as it is not too personal

Typing or texting. Emails. All good.

Talking in person, ok, best one to one, with people I feel comfortable with.

In a group, I sometimes enjoy to listen, and silently particpate, or if there is turn taking, I will speak. Or if necessary I ll weigh in talking over others and feeling a numpty. Usually at work. Sometimes one has to.

Typing or texting. Emails. All good.

Talking in person, ok, best one to one, with people I feel comfortable with.

In a group, I sometimes enjoy to listen, and silently particpate, or if there is turn taking, I will speak. Or if necessary I ll weigh in talking over others and feeling a numpty. Usually at work. Sometimes one has to.

I feel very similar in the group setting. But what is a 'numpty', lol.

I feel very similar in the group setting. But what is a 'numpty', lol.

Ya numpty - Glaswegian term of endearment for a reckless, absent minded or unwise person. Bit like a muppet, but more active.

Ya numpty - Glaswegian term of endearment for a reckless, absent minded or unwise person. Bit like a muppet, but more active.

Ah kindred spirits then. My last name has the exact same meaning in a part of Canada where some of my ancestors settled. :D

New Threads

Top Bottom