• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Power Rangers to Feature Autistic Ranger

Sylar

I just found out that Billy, the blue ranger in the new Power Rangers movie will be on the autistic spectrum. The actor seems to have done his research to make sure his portrayal is respectful. Billy's Autism Brings Realism To Power Rangers

“I just wanted to show a different, like, viewpoint of people that are seen as being on the spectrum, right? Or people diagnosed with Autism, ’cause it’s like I feel like us being outsiders looking in and I take that, I cast my own stone when I say that, ’cause there’s a lot that I didn’t know before…

I actually sat down and shut my mouth and actually just listened and you know, accepted every bit of information with no judgement… I knew that it was my job to show, you know, that people that are on the spectrum are just regular people, literally, just how we talk, how me and Becky [Becky G, Yellow Ranger] talk, they feel the same way, they have the same emotions, they wanna be loved, that want people to love, they want relationships they want, you know, connections, and it’s just like I was really excited to be able to play that ’cause I know it means so much to so many people, ’cause all of us are affected by it… and it’s something I feel like we needed to have in this movie to be honest.”

The movie comes out on Friday and I was planning on seeing it anyway as I've been a fan of Power Rangers since childhood, but this is certainly an interesting twist on the original. Let's hope they get it right.

That's interesting. I always loved the Power Rangers growing up and I do have a couple of t-shirts that always garner compliments...but the amount of shouting I did at the trailer alone is probably an indication that I shouldn't go and see the film :p

It's an insult to the glory days of 'mighty morphing power rangers' and I hope the film is a critically panned box office bomb :mad:

Besides, sesame street (which I can't believe is still on TV) features an autistic kid now :rolleyes::p

Is this the original movie with Ooze?

That's one of my favorite all time movies... what is happening?
------
Okay I had to Google for the trailer that site was weird...

This is too strange, looks more like a marvel movie... :/ ugh but my kids going to love it so I'm sure I'll see it 1000x. While I shove old-school on him periodically lol

I'm still getting used to the new TMNT bit they're starting to grow on me. But I do LOVE how they are keeping things from last century alive for new generations. :)

It's funny how all the "fad" stuff I was into my mom hated and wished I grow out of now the grandkids are into it! Take that mom, lol. The pokemon collection is 10 years past obsession and just keeps growing, my son wants to catch them all now too, hard to believe there's over 800 now, wtf prof oak only had 151 back in the day lol

Last edited:
I plan to see this new Power Rangers movie, although I'm sure it will suck, no one under 25 cares about Power Rangers.

I'll probably end up watching it. I'm not mad about the autistic ranger but I kind of feel like a lot of movies and shows having been "jumping on the bandwagon" as the saying goes.

It's an insult to the glory days of 'mighty morphing power rangers' and I hope the film is a critically panned box office bomb :mad:

Dude, that's a toxic way a thinking. I mean, YES, I assumed the reboot of Powerpuff Girls was going to be horrible (I may have been correct). And yes, I pretty much hate Justice League Action. Same with Teen Titans Go! and Xiaolin Chronicles.

But why is adding autism to a character BAD? It's not like they're turning Billy into a pale, ruined shadow of his former self. Or making him into a borderline-nutcase.

I plan to see this new Power Rangers movie, although I'm sure it will suck, no one under 25 cares about Power Rangers.
Well the shows are still going strong, even if they're unfamiliar with the original series, I'm sure a lot of kids will want to go and see a big budget version of Power Rangers.

Also it seems odd to pay to see a movie you think will suck rather than wait until it's on tv or netflix. Unless your a fan and curious to see how it turns out, even hopeful that it'll prove your expectations wrong and be good.

What I am referring to, Sylar, is:
  • 'Borderline nutcase' is how I'd describe TTG!Robin. A control freak and psycho who brings shame to the Grayson name; Both Batman AND Power Ranger wise. As long as Billy isn't an awful jerk, he's not there.
Besides...Maybe Autistic!Billy will be as funny as the guy from Billy & Mandy.

:rolleyes: You have a 'my little pony' look-alike as your avatar so I was thinking that perhaps 'my little pony' would be your favourite movie. Plus power rangers was favoured more by boys :p:D
It's Fluttershy, it's an actual pony, and the only MLP movies were those stupid Equestria Girls movies, too goofy. I have Fluttershy as my avatar because I kind of identify with her and I didn't want to put a picture of myself because I was afraid of people making fun of me. I really could never just pick a single favorite movie though... Yeah no can't do it, there's just too many.

When the original power rangers movie came out in wanted it for Christmas, just that and K'nex, I filled up a whole notebook just half with power rangers movie over and again the other half with k'nex (like they make you write sentences in school over and over again) well I got the movie no k'nex >: and a bunch of dumb stuff I don't remember...

my mom had a habit of getting me what she thought I shoukd want because it's what my simalar aged female cousins wanted. I kept getting backstreet boys, nsync, and Ricky martin... ew ew ew. I was into Metallica, Slipknot lmao but that stuffs evil and k'nex and power rangers are only for boys.

I kept getting barbies too and would use markers and paint to give then bushes and nipples lmao then would imitate sex scenes with them... should of got me the k'nex! thanks mom!

(I had a hardcore sexual attraction towards Ivan Ooze when I was like 10 or 11 when it came out)

I kept getting barbies too and would use markers and paint to give then bushes and nipples lmao then would imitate sex scenes with them... should of got me the k'nex! thanks mom!

(I had a hardcore sexual attraction towards Ivan Ooze when I was like 10 or 11 when it came out)

You can't do that....it's totally anti-aspie, you were too young to know sexual feelings at 10 and it's against the M.O of your child avatar. :rolleyes:

I didn't want to put a picture of myself because I was afraid of people making fun of me.

No-one mocks people on here, it's against the rules and apparently aspies are sticklers for rules :p

Dude, that's a toxic way a thinking. I mean, YES, I assumed the reboot of Powerpuff Girls was going to be horrible (I may have been correct). And yes, I pretty much hate Justice League Action. Same with Teen Titans Go! and Xiaolin Chronicles.

Um, powerpuff girls isn't of the same caliber or significance as power rangers :rolleyes:. As for justice league, hmm what the hell were they trying to do with measly 11min episodes o_O

But why is adding autism to a character BAD? It's not like they're turning Billy into a pale, ruined shadow of his former self. Or making him into a borderline-nutcase.

No this is potentially a good thing, I never slated it for this :innocent:

Well the shows are still going strong, even if they're unfamiliar with the original series, I'm sure a lot of kids will want to go and see a big budget version of Power Rangers.

Strong o_O. They're still going, but they stopped being 'strong' well over a decade ago when they continued flogging that dead horse of a show. Just like the simpsons and pokemon its had its day and should now be viewed as re-runs and not as new episodes :relieved:

Last edited:
Strong o_O. They're still going, but they stopped being 'strong' well over a decade ago

Isn't that the same thing where Power Rangers is concerned? :D I mean, the show was there to be made on the cheap using recycled footage to sell toys. Not only is the show still running over two decades later, they still make and sell a bunch of toys and other merchandise as well as video games. Now it's getting a big budget reboot that could be the start of a new cinematic universe if it does well.

The brand is still serving its purpose well after all this time, it might not be the huge surprise hit it was when it first started but the fact they have the nerve to charge £130 for a complete version of the new megazord that actually transforms tells me yeah, they're still going strong.

You can't do that....it's totally anti-aspie, you were too young to know sexual feelings at 10 and it's against the M.O of your child avatar.
Lol I was sexually involved since preschool, through middle and high school the only way of knew how to get someone to "hang out with me" was because of a physical relationship, what is this talking you speak of? I don't think it's anti-aspie and I have an official diagnosis now anyways so think what you want, but I've always been extremely sexually motivated I don't really know why, the only friend I had in elementary school we were doing some bad things in barbies dream house (not intercourse or oral but hands on) I was just I guess completely fascinated about the differences of boys and girls and the only real differences I ever personally saw were these 2 small physical differences. Because I played Sonic the Hedgehog, power rangers, Hot Wheels, etc so that couldn't be the difference...

Should I change my avatar to Jenna Jameson from Zombie Strippers? Lol no I'm probably not going to do that I like my Fluttershy

I saw it. I'm glad they had someone on the spectrum but it almost seemed inconsequential as the only spectrum trait was that he was really smart and spoke over people at times.

I saw it. I'm glad they had someone on the spectrum but it almost seemed inconsequential as the only spectrum trait was that he was really smart and spoke over people at times.
You're not wrong, but I thought the way you put it made him sound stereotypical like Sheldon in The Big Bang Theory. Making explosions seemed to be an obsession of his and was his way of keeping the connection to his dead father and he had a lot of physical mannerisms that the actor apparently picked up when he reconnected with an old school friend who is on the spectrum to prepare for the role.

I liked that it was inconsequential, though, like they were saying "this is just who the character is" rather than making a big deal out of it for brownie points. Even over two decades ago the show had a diverse cast without showing it off, the cast was just the cast, I like that they're doing the same thing to represent different groups here. We got the first ever superhero on the spectrum and he was a character like the rest, they didn't overdo it until he become a joke, he was presented as a person just like the others.

I thought Billy stole the show either way.

Last edited:
You're not wrong, but I thought the way you put it made him sound stereotypical like Sheldon in The Big Bang Theory. Making explosions seemed to be an obsession of his and was his way of keeping the connection to his dead father and he had a lot of physical mannerisms that the actor apparently picked up when he reconnected with an old school friend who is on the spectrum to prepare for the role.

I liked that it was inconsequential, though, like they were saying "this is just who the character is" rather than making a big deal out of it for brownie points. I thought Billy stole the show either way.

See, that's the thing. I think merely tacking it on and more or less not doing anythign with is was to earn brownie points. I would have preferred to see a take on it like Gary in Alphas(not sure if you've seen it) where his autism was apparent at all times but he was still a part of the team and had non-autism storylines.

I felt like with Billy they looked up one or two traits and just used those. I would have loved to have seen how his autism affected the way he worked with the team or the complexities of it. I felt the same way with the yellow ranger. Its like they barely hinted at her LGBT issue...and it meant nothing. Nevertheless...loved the movie and Billy stole the film.

New Threads

Top Bottom