• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

potential friend connection frustration

paloftoon

V.I.P Member
Hi all, there's this organization that used to offer in-person social opportunities. Since the pandemic, they've offered a few remote events and have been connecting people remotely on a donation basis every week that a person says they are free and interested in meeting another person.

So, I signed up for this week interval (Aug 16 - 22) and my potential authentic "friend" flaked out on me. I thought it weird that he didn't respond with his phone number.

Another thing that concerns me is that in his initial e-mail contact, his e-mail address included his last name. In an e-mail afterward, I signed with both my first and last name. But now looking back, I wonder if that seems kinda creepy even though someone using an e-mail address with their first and last name makes it seem like they would be more open instead.

I guess another possibility is he could've looked me up and decided he wasn't interested in me.

Even though the network is mainly there to consider building platonic friendships, there's nothing that would prevent potential romance. Most of the candidates who sign up are usually local (not necessarily, but usually).

I'm feeling frustrated. Thoughts?

Maybe he found someone or changed his mind. We will never know. Take a while and feel better but don't mop around over this bad event too much, just try again. be ready for failures but take it as a means of practicing social dating with all its letdowns and strangeness.

I see no reason for you to hide who you are for dating, only for creepers but if you don't care about that that's fine.

Online social apps are dangerous. Nobody is who they claim to be. Nobody really states what they want. The bios are more fantasy than reality and the photos either heavily doctored or fake. There's rejection after rejection and then someone who says all the right things with the wrong intent. It is an aspect of the NT world that ND folks need to exercise extreme caution with.

This was not a typical online "app". Sure, the same type of things could happen, but probably would not because they are monitored by someone who knows everyone's identity.
https://www.letsbeauthentic.com/

I was supposed to have a video chat with someone who else who is supposedly looking for a platonic friend at minimum.

New Threads

Top Bottom