• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Post a self help books - useful

Kayla55

I know my choice of book may not sound like text book self help but as a woman it helped me get in touch with my feminine side and learn more about how women are when I was often treated as stupid and not as intellectual counterpart in autism, it was all too confusing as I didn't naturally behave like other women.

So my choice is : women who run with the wolves.

I know my choice of book may not sound like text book self help but as a woman it helped me get in touch with my feminine side and learn more about how women are when I was often treated as stupid and not as intellectual counterpart in autism, it was all too confusing as I didn't naturally behave like other women.

I thought that was an interesting book, too :)

I guess it depends on how we define self-help, but I'll list a few self-help/psychology/philosophy books which I found inspiring.

Unmasking Autism - Devon Price, PhD
The Divided Self - R.D. Laing
Knots - R.D. Laing
Healing Fiction - James Hillman
Fragments - Heraclitus
Before Their Time: Adult Children's Experience of Parental Suicide - Edited by Mary and Maureen Stimming
The Cynic Philosophers from Diogenes to Julian - Translated by Robert Dobbin

And some fiction and memoirs which concern love, self-acceptance, and being comfortable with our history. Sometimes we just need that release more than rules or advice.

My Name is Asher Lev - Chaim Potok
Stoner - John Williams
Simple Passion - Annie Ernaux
A Girl's Story - Annie Ernaux
Confessions of an English Opium-Eater - Thomas De Quincey
The Passion - Jeanette Winterson
Reveries of the Solitary Walker - Jean-Jacques Rouseau
Beyond Good and Evil - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old Filth - Jane Gardam
The Last Days of Socrates - Plato (compiles four dialogues translated by Hugh Tredennick and Harold Tarrant)
An Imaginary Life - David Malouf
The Gospel of Matthew

Last edited:

That was a good book. Sadly I have no suggestions but am hoping to pick up a few more ideas myself

New Threads

Top Bottom