• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Poll: Do you like puppets, muppets, etc?

Do you like watching puppets, muppets, etc & are they easier to look at than looking at people?

• Total voters

Magna

V.I.P Member
I'm curious as to whether or not autistic people like puppets, muppets, etc more than NTs. For me, puppets, muppets capture and hold my attention far more than most people do. It's also very easy to watch puppets, muppets and make eye contact with them than it is real people.

If there's a puppet, it's got my attention. I'm also amused by their expressions and movements. My favorite example is an old TV commercial that came on when my wife and I were dating. I'd never seen it before and I found the puppet so hilarious that I couldn't stop laughing; the kind of laugh where no sound it coming out, when you've expelled all breath. I'm glad my wife didn't "back away slowly" from how atypical that level of reaction from me was.

Who wouldn't like the PG Tips Monkey?

Or this guy? This one made me laugh like crazy too the first time I saw it. My wife texts it to me somewhat often because she knows I find it amusing.

shocked-shook.gif

Last edited:
I never enjoyed the Muppets. Wasn't big on Sesame Street either. The only one that captured my imagination as a child was The Wind In The Willows:

tumblr_oa41z7RTBT1tic5i2o3_500.gifv

I'd watched some Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlett and Stingray. But humanised dolls and puppets are inherantly creepy in my opinion. So I avoided them mostly:

laughing-puppets.gif

Ed

I have always enjoyed puppets! I loved them as a kid, I love them today- and years from now, with white hair and wrinkles, I will be sitting in an armchair, giggling like a kid and watching muppets.

I. Love. Muppets. Jim Henson ANYTHING. My absolute favorite! I also remember being fascinated by other shows/movies involving puppetry… you may be onto something here!

I liked Seasame Street as a child. It was easy to anthropomorphize then muppets then. But in general, I neither like puppets, nor dislike them.

My brother however loves puppets of all kinds but especially Punch and Judy, Puncinello and other marrionettes and ventriloquist figures. He even makes his own vetriloquist figures and he his pretty good at it.

I liked the Muppet Show when I was a kid, that was funny. I also watched this weird thing called Fraggle Rock. I liked it but it confused me a little, I watched it to try to understand what was going on. :) I think it was a little weird. There was a talking trash heap in it for example.

View attachment 74382

And I liked Alf and the Tanner family, even though he ate cats.

View attachment 74383
Fraggle Rock was one of my Henson faves. Watched the one VHS tape we had until it wore out :)

I love puppets and Muppets! My favorite musical is full of puppets. Avenue Q is what you get when you combine Sesame Street with South Park and add in Gary Coleman! Plus the songs songs are all great and have good points about certain things in life and written by one of the songwriters of Let It Go and Remember Me!

As a child I liked marionette shows like "Supercar" and Fireball 500". Though at that age I viewed puppets indifferently from human actors.

That said, I saw "Supercar" on one of the Roku channels recently. Couldn't stop laughing. :oops: :p

I grew up with the Muppets and Sesame Street, I love them. The classic Muppet show had some of the funniest sketches I ever saw on TV. I also liked Fraggle Rock. I actually own a collection of Fraggle Plushies and Sprocket the dog. The Sprocket plushie is really cute.

I love the Muppets. I don't think that they're easier to watch than humans, per se. But when I'm watching a Muppet movie, I get annoyed when there are human characters on the screen. I'm like "Okay, get back to the funny part."

I really love the side movies that Frank Oz or Jim Henson were involved in, like The Labyrinth or the Star Wars movies.

And then on The Neverending Story, Falcor and Morla the Ancient One were done so beautifully.

I really prefer practical effects more than digital. When a modern film has a person in front of a green screen using digital effects, I feel like it's just a guy in a cartoon, but when an older movie uses practical effects, I feel like it's more real.

And who can forget... Wallace & Gromit, I don't know if it's well known in North America, but a great show! And an Austin A35 delivery van as well :)

New Threads

Top Bottom