• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Poll about special interests and/or obsessions

One or multiple special interests and/or obsessions and gender.

• I have one special interest and/or obsession, I ID as female

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have two special interests and/or obsessions, I ID as female

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • I have more than two special interests and/or obsessions, I ID as female

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • I have one special interest and/or obsession, I ID as male

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have two special interests and/or obsessions, I ID as male

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • I have more than two special interests and/or obsessions, I ID as male

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • Other: please specify

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Evy the Owl

I was curious if there was a trend in us aspies having one or multiple interests/obsessions and our gender
I would expect that men would more often have very stable interests.

I've been obsessed with dinosaurs and astrology from the time I was little. Looking information up and keeping it all in binders. I also love looking at rocks especially when they are smooth because I love the way they feel.

Last edited:
I have more than two special interests and/or obsessions,
1st: Helping people: either being a firefighter! (obsessed with the american :fireengine: ones, especially the trucks/ sirens :rolleyes: and of course their tools and hoses)
Or working in a hospital at the ER or working on the ambulance :ambulance:!
2nd: Cars and trucks :bluecar: :truck: !
3rd: Computers and other tech!

And yes I want to move to America, but I will probably end up not doing it.

I have some like the general ones (computers, history etc) but I also go deep and have multiple obsessions and interests in the different fields. Like for example in my computer obsession I would switch between things like programming, CPU/hardware, and assembly but also would get into old and retro technology because I'm curious or want to have fun with them :D

My primary obsession has been books since I was a child but since then I've developed obsessions with movies and TV series and music. I read and watch mostly science fiction and fantasy and I have a wide and varied taste in music. I also have small obsessions that come and go. At the moment it is planning exactly what things I will buy with my laptop, e.g. printer, headset...

I'm quite sure I have more than 2 interests which I engage in from time to time... (afterall a day only has 24 hours and I can't fit it all in a single day). Overall things shift around a bit over years. Right now some interests are a bit more prevalent, while in the past others where. They remain around though.

I have loads of interests.
But the major two are Japanese cars from 1980 to 1993.
Specifically Nissan Skylines.
And British Motor Corporation cars.
Specifically Mini's and their derivatives such as a Riley Elf from 1959 to 1969.:)

My particular interests are widely varied and it's nothing for me to pick up a new interest. As a child it was animals. I was reading textbooks from college courses on animal anatomy and physiology and conditions by the time I was 11. Now it's shameful..... But ancient alien theory. Lol I don't believe a lick of it BUT it is so fascinating! Also , yoga and hula hooping. I like pushing my body to new limits and I can spend hours learning a new move or pose. In the recent past it has been sewing, food (the study of food-not eating), parenting (in anthropological sense), religion, and biking. I know a lot about what has interested. Some of it is useful and some is.... Not so much. Haha

One of my interests is watching WWE DVDs. Most of my collection consists of that.

Same here, I'd say at least 90 or 95 percent of the DVD's I have are WWE or wrestling related lol. What are some of your favorite ones? I guess it may be better to PM to not hijack the thread.

As far as the topic, I probably have at least two interests at all times. I always have a big interest in sports, geography, weather, pro wrestling, and coin collecting for the most part, with other ones thrown in from time to time.

For me (31 y.o female) currently it is the gym and supplements. I can spend hours researching a new lifting routine and what supplements I could take to help get me there. Downside (maybe it's lucky) is I research each individual ingredient in all supplements and more often than not I find an ingredient which isn't recommended for someone with anxiety, depression, heart arrhythmia ... to name a few (all of which I have). Hmm true to form I've gotten carried away explaining it :eek:

Other current obsessions are Aspergers itself - researching it, learning about it, etc and online sites/forums like this one and Instagram. I spend a lot of time a day in these places..

As a kid though it was mainly basketball or basketball cards.

I get so child-like excited talking about all of these things ;)

I develop obsessions that will last for a brief period, but I have a few that have remained for years. The top of my list would be Harley Davidson motorcycles, which became a passion when I was about 7-years-old.

Are they obsessions which usually affects a person's life and is a persistent disturbing preoccupation or is it a passion that would be a powerful or compelling emotion such as love in your case?. I know there is a difference between obsession, passion and interest but can't quite distinguish between the 3, especially obsessions and passions because the lack of information that the members give. But it is the obsessions that affect us the most by causing us problems especially when these obsessions are shown in public. I've always had issues with these 3 words because I see some of the things we are obsessed with as interests or passions and visa versa. But, I guess a passion can become an obsession if it gets extreme and affects a person's life. Please help me to understand since I scratch my head over so many posts like this asking myself whether it is an obsession, a passion or just an interest.:confused:

Astronomy & Computers are my main, long-term Special Interests.
Aspergers has been a Special Interest ever since I was diagnosed the second time.

I have my main Special Interests that are life-long and then I'll occasionally get little flash in the pan Special Interests that only last up to a few months but the enthusiasm just skyrockets out of this world and before you know it, I've got more information and items collected than I know what to do with.

Some Special Interests stay an interest but fade into the background and some just die off as quickly as they started.

I like languages the most. They allow me to connect with a broader range of people and understand other cultures.

New Threads

Top Bottom