1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Political bias in the media

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Bert22, May 26, 2021.

1. Bert22

Bert22 Member

I think most people would probably agree there is a lot of bias floating around in news media. We each have our own opinions on where this bias is, and where is "worse".

Personally, I find nearly all news media has bias, in particular the loaded language that is used when reporting. So I try to find media that minimises this, and which reports rather than offers input as to how the news organisation wants to make us feel about what they are reporting.

To this end, I find this a very useful site, which attempts to objectively quantify how each outlet scores on a consistent scale. I hope others will find this useful.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/

EDIT: it's best to use an ad blocker for this site

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Sapphire K

Sapphire K Autistic Demigirl! (She/They/It) V.I.P Member

I don't trust the mainstream media.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bert22

Bert22 Member

Depends what you mean by mainstream I guess.
    Whatever media you trust or don't trust, you can try running it through the above site and get a data based assessment.

4. Meistersinger

Meistersinger Well-Known Member

It would be a lot more useful if I didn’t have to continually close all the pop up windows that cover the content.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bert22

Bert22 Member

Fair comment, I have ad blockers so I didn't see them. Just turned them off and yeah it is annoying with popups.. sorry.
    I can only recommend using a different browser or if on PC installing an ad block extension. I use DuckDuckGo and Adblock browsers on mobile, on my PC Adblock Plus and Ghostery. Stops pretty much all advertising.
    Price of a free Internet I suppose :pensive:

6. mw2530

mw2530 Well-Known Member

I am no fan of a lot of media and "news outlets" as it is evident that many have an agenda, especially at the national level. They seem to go out searching for stories that will support a certain narrative, rather than simply searching for stories and allowing people to come to their own conclusions. I get turned off pretty fast when media takes one isolated story and proceeds to tell me that this proves some broad generalization or claim. We also often get very surface level details that don't always tell the full story. Consumers of media need to do a better job of critically thinking about issues before jumping to a conclusion based on just a few minutes of coverage of a story.

I have found local news often times provide better coverage and tend to cover both sides of an issue. Although I find plenty of bias here too. Too many reporters seem to have forgotten that they are supposed to be reporting a story, not projecting their opinions on the rest of us.

7. Xerces Blue

Xerces Blue Evil Overload

When I hear "Mainstream Media" I think Corporate news.
    They're credibility is 6' under as I see it, what with how many times they've shown themselves either wrong or outright LYING.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Meistersinger

Meistersinger Well-Known Member

Even nowadays, I find local news media, both print and broadcast, to be worse than bovine fecal excrement. Why? BECAUSE THERE IS NO MORE LOCAL OWNERSHIP OF SAID MEDIA.

For example, in South Central PA, where I was born and raised, and will definitely die, almost all the local radio stations are owned either by Cumulus or IHeartRadio. The few stations that are still independent are generally college campus stations (which are usually low-power stations), or religious stations (some even run by local churches (I’m discounting internet radio stations that are NOT rebroadcasting a main station’s content (for example, KUSC-FM Los Angeles, or WRTI-FM Philadelphia (which has 2 main signals, DT-1 which is classical, and DT-2, which is jazz.). As for Television, there is NO Local ownership, as the local commercial stations are owned by Hearst, Nexstar, Sinclair, and TEGNA.

Print media is the worst, as both local newspaper are now owned by Gannett, aka McNewspaper. Their coverage of local AND national news has been dumbed down to “See Dick. See Dick run. Run Dick, run!” (Those of us that are old enough to remember the old Scott, Forsman and Company basal readers from elementary school will get my drift.). Nowadays, one has to read the reports direct off the Assiciated Press or Reuters newswire if you want relatively unbiased reporting.

When I was a grad student in library and information science some 4 decades ago, there was a paper published by Prof. Ron Childers, of Drexel University’s school of Library and information science, who predicted the merging of ownership of both information content and conduit would be a disaster. Sadly, his predictions have come to fruition, with nary a way to untangle the mess that the kakocracy has made.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Magna

Magna Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Media reported "news" = propaganda. I'd be interested in hearing a differing opinion and the reasons for a differing opinion.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Xerces Blue

Xerces Blue Evil Overload

Okay this is something that takes a lot of time.
    1)Find multiple non-mainstream media sources, preferably from multiple political parties. (if viable in your country)
    2)Find sources from other countries - understand that this will probably be propaganda, but it's useful for understanding how other countries want to view your country.
    3)Compare to what the mainstream says
    4)Take all of it with a couple pounds or kg (your preference) of salt.

11. ForestGumpett

ForestGumpett Well-Known Member

IMHO they all lie. We cut the cable and turned the tv off. Saves money, everyone much happier :)

• Winner Winner x 2