• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Police watchdog orders force to re-investigate treatment of autistic man

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

An independent watchdog has upheld an appeal by the family of a young autistic man who say he faced discrimination and mistreatment by a police force, months after it cleared another force of similar allegations.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) concluded three months ago that there was insufficient evidence to show misconduct by officers of Northamptonshire police who were involved in the arrest and detention of Daniel Smith.

But IPCC has now examined concerns about the way Smith was treated by Devon and Cornwall Police over a second arrest four months later, and how it investigated a subsequent complaint about the way he was treated.

Devon and Cornwall’s professional standards department cleared its own officers of any wrongdoing, after Smith’s family lodged a complaint, but IPCC has now decided that that may have been the wrong decision and has asked it to reinvestigate the complaint.

His family say both forces discriminated against Daniel, ignored him when he told them that he was autistic, failed to provide him with the support he needed – ignoring their own guidance – and breached his rights under the European Convention on Human Rights.

Smith was held in a cell for eight hours after he had defended himself from a vicious disability hate crime in a local park in Rushden, Northamptonshire, in October 2015.

He had been left bloodied and bruised by the attack but ended up being prosecuted for assault after the police failed to investigate the hate crime and charged him instead.

He spent eight hours in the cell, without medical treatment, even though he told officers he had only been defending himself against “the bullies”.

He was eventually cleared of assault charges by magistrates, following a six-month court ordeal.

But struggling with the trauma of his treatment over the Northamptonshire incident and following a distressing court hearing in February last year, he became involved in an incident with a young woman in his home city of Exeter, Devon, who had headbutted him after an argument.

He was arrested and locked up again, despite telling police he was suicidal and autistic. His family say that no appropriate adult (AA)* was provided for him.

His dad, Owen, said that a statement was taken from his son after several hours in the police station, by which time he was in “an appalling mental state” and “would have said anything to get released”.

Owen Smith said: “If the correct procedures had been followed for Daniel, a proper account could have been elicited from him, explaining the circumstances of the incident as regards his autism, the fact that he was acting in self-defence, why he reacted in the way he did.

“He was vulnerable, exhausted and scared.”

Daniel’s mental health subsequently deteriorated significantly, and he became so scared of being attacked yet again, following the Exeter incident, that he spent hundreds of pounds buying mini security cameras that he attached to his body.

In both the Northamptonshire and Exeter cases, CCTV evidence from the police station was destroyed before it could be examined by the forces’ professional standards departments.

Daniel’s family believe there were several officers from both forces who should have known that Daniel was autistic and failed to act on that information.

IPCC has now told the family that it is not satisfied with the internal investigation by Devon and Cornwall Police, and has asked it to reinvestigate.

It criticises the force for failing to secure the CCTV footage following his arrest, and has asked it “to review their processes to try to ensure that this does not happen in the future”.

It also reveals that the force possessed information dating back to 2012 that Daniel Smith was autistic.

The IPCC letter raises a number of other concerns about how he was treated in custody, including why officers accepted his statement that he did not want support from an appropriate adult.

It adds: “The decision about whether or not to call an appropriate adult is the custody sergeant’s, not the detainee’s.

“There is an inherent contradiction in asking a detainee whether one is required.”

The letter adds: “There are flaws, gaps and contradictions that have not been accounted for. A reinvestigation is required to explore these.”

Smith’s solicitor, Sarah Ricca, of Deighton Pierce Glynn, said: “The IPCC’s decision is the first ray of light in Daniel’s attempts to expose the injustice of how he has been treated by the two police forces.

“Daniel was failed by the police on the two occasions he was arrested and detained and till now he has been failed again by the complaints system.

“We hope that this will mark a turning point in taking seriously the issues his case raises about fair and equal treatment of people with autism by police.”

Disability News Service learned of the IPCC ruling yesterday (Wednesday) and has since been unable to contact a Devon and Cornwall Police press officer.

But a Devon and Cornwall Police spokeswoman said earlier, before the IPCC had delivered its ruling: “A complaint was received by a member of the public in 2016 relating to an incident on the 28th of February 2016 involving a 27-year-old man.

“The matter was referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) who referred the case back to Devon and Cornwall Police to carry out a local investigation.

“Devon and Cornwall Police carried out the investigation, the outcome of which was appealed by the member of public.

“The appeal has now been referred to the IPCC for a decision.”

IPCC had not been able to comment by noon today (Thursday).

*An appropriate adult ensures “the rights, welfare and effective participation” of a child or “vulnerable” adult suspect who is being detained or interviewed by police

Source: Police watchdog orders force to reinvestigate treatment of autistic man

This is utterly disgraceful and I know how bad some police can be (I live in the UK). The police need more training regarding autistic disabilities, although I believe that some police just don't want to understand or change, they are just unpleasant people and in some cases even corrupt, these officers shouldn't be in the force.

Once when I was a bit younger I was threatened and attacked by a resident of a nearby homeless hostel because I apparently walked onto his part in a nearby public communal garden that was there for everyone, I didn't even hit back, I only pushed him off me. It was witnessed by a couple of neighbours who helped me get away and back indoors before telling me to call the police. The police arrived and I was surprised that a few vehicles turned up. The officers immediately spoke down to me like I was a piece of dirt, they were told I had Asperger Syndrome, but this changed absolutely nothing and their attitude stunk from start to finish, it was impossible to reason with them in any way what-so-ever. The police didn't believe a word I said and just kept shouting at me to "shut up" or be arrested and they repeatedly kept telling me I'd be arrested tonight (obviously I was shocked, felt incredibly mistreated and I also felt frightened). They even said I'd be arrested for "affray" and that I apparently assaulted him because I pushed him off me while he was attacking without provocation, my neighbours tried to back me up and also got told they'd be arrested too, they obviously got very annoyed and one stormed off back home to his flat only to be pursued by officers who then apparently told him to come out of they'd break in and arrest him. After an awful ordeal I finally had to sit through an extremely harsh talking to from the most senior officer about wasting police time where I had no choice but to bite my lip to avoid being arrested and to agree to everything they said even though it was totally false and so did my neighbours who had similar treatment even though we were originally all telling the truth. I was made to apologise to them and to agree that what I'd apparently done was wrong, I was supposed to be very grateful to them for not being arrested and only warned (I even had to fake gratitude). As the police left the attacker was hanging around laughing outside my flat complex, making threatening gestures and I knew I couldn't do anything. He knew he could then threaten + attack and if I dared to do anything or call the police for any help I'd be the one getting arrested, even if he attacked me. I had to lock myself inside until the next day when I got help to make formal complaints to the police. Obviously I was extremely upset and frightened to leave my flat for a while.

I eventually got a personal apology from the chief inspector in person which I reluctantly accepted, although my attacker was never arrested or dealt with properly. Apparently the police were less believing because one of my neighbours who was backing me up was allegedly known for wasting police time in the past and I was wrongfully tarred with the same brush (I don't know how accurate this truly is). About a year later however the police attended for another incident not involving myself in a flat nearby and I let them into the main building, one officer then made a comment stating that I was the one who was involved in an incident wasting police time, I got very annoyed and explained how I received a formal apology from the Chief Inspector for that incident and she suddenly shut up and started talking to me nicely, but obviously she still had prejudice towards me. Even years on I still don't trust the police and am extremely reluctant to call them for anything for fear of them threatening to arrest me even if I am the victim of crime.

PS: This isn't the only bad incident I'd had with the police, please see this post for another incident where I actually got wrongfully arrested, this also made me greatly mistrust the police.

Last edited:
This is utterly disgraceful and I know how bad some police can be (I live in the UK). The police need more training regarding autistic disabilities, although I believe that some police just don't want to understand or change, they are just unpleasant people and in some cases even corrupt, these officers shouldn't be in the force.

Once when I was a bit younger I was threatened and attacked by a resident of a nearby homeless hostel because I apparently walked onto his part in a nearby public communal garden that was there for everyone, I didn't even hit back, I only pushed him off me. It was witnessed by a couple of neighbours who helped me get away and back indoors before telling me to call the police. The police arrived and I was surprised that a few vehicles turned up. The officers immediately spoke down to me like I was a piece of dirt, they were told I had Asperger Syndrome, but this changed absolutely nothing and their attitude stunk from start to finish, it was impossible to reason with them in any way what-so-ever. The police didn't believe a word I said and just kept shouting at me to "shut up" or be arrested and they repeatedly kept telling me I'd be arrested tonight (obviously I was shocked, felt incredibly mistreated and I also felt frightened). They even said I'd be arrested for "affray" and that I apparently assaulted him because I pushed him off me while he was attacking without provocation, my neighbours tried to back me up and also got told they'd be arrested too, they obviously got very annoyed and one stormed off back home to his flat only to be pursued by officers who then apparently told him to come out of they'd break in and arrest him. After an awful ordeal I finally had to sit through an extremely harsh talking from the most senior officer about wasting police time where I had no choice but to bite my lip to avoid being arrested and to agree to everything they said even though it was totally false and so did my neighbours who had similar treatment even though we were originally all telling the truth. As the police left the attacker was hanging around laughing outside my flat complex laughing and I knew I couldn't do anything. He knew he could then threaten + attack and if I dared to do anything or call the police for any help I'd be the one getting arrested. I had to lock myself inside until the next day when I got help to make formal complaints to the police. Obviously I was extremely upset and frightened to leave my flat for a while.

I eventually got a personal apology from the chief inspector in person which I reluctantly accepted, although my attacker was never arrested or dealt with properly. Apparently the police were less believing because one of my neighbours who was backing me up was allegedly known for wasting police time in the past and I was wrongfully tarred with the same brush (I don't know how accurate this truly is). About a year later however the police attended for another incident not involving myself in a flat nearby and I let them into the main building, one officer then made a comment stating that I was the one who involved in an incident wasting police time, I got very annoyed and explained how I received a formal apology from the Chief Inspector for that incident and she suddenly shut up and started talking to me nicely, but obviously she still had prejudice towards me. Even years on I still don't trust the police and am extremely reluctant to call them for anything for fear of them threatening to arrest me even if I am the victim of crime.

PS: This isn't the only bad incident I'd had with the police, please see this post for another incident were I actually got wrongfully arrested, this also made me greatly mistrust the police.

A bureaucratic organisation interested in obtaining more money for its members.ie the police force.

Justice has to be seen to be done.

So if it's not seen, it doesnt need to be done.

Absymal round here,liars and cheats.

New Threads

Top Bottom