• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Police record ‘hate incident’ after autistic boy drops Quran in school corridor

Aeolienne

(Not written by me)

Police record ‘hate incident’ after autistic boy drops Quran in school corridor​

Police have recorded a “hate incident” after an autistic boy dropped a copy of the Quran in a busy school corridor and four pupils were suspended over false rumours that it had been set alight.

A Year 10 [age 14-15] pupil at Kettlethorpe High School, Wakefield - who was said to be autistic - was told to bring in a copy of the Quran by friends after losing a video game. It was later damaged after he dropped it in a busy corridor.

Four pupils were suspended for a week and West Yorkshire police intervened after false rumours spread that the holy book had been set alight.

Akef Akbar, a councillor who works with the school, said the boy had taken the Quran to school last week and given it to another pupil who read out passages on the tennis court.

The book was later taken inside, where it fell on the floor before being put in a pupil’s bag, he said.

Inspector Andy Thornton spoke to parents at the local mosque and told them the damage was being treated as a “hate incident”.

Meanwhile, Tudor Griffiths, the school's headteacher, said there had been “no malicious intent” but the pupils’ actions were “unacceptable”.

In a recording of a meeting seen by The Times, Mr Griffiths said: “If more consequences have to be followed, that will be the case.”

Humanists UK said the decision to suspend the boys alleged to have started the rumours was “horrendous” and the school had allowed itself to be “pressured into excessive disciplinary action by areligious group”.

Home Secretary Suella Braverman is understood to have expressed concern after police took such steps over the “slight damage”.

“These are very concerning reports," a source close to Ms Braverman said.

"The Home Secretary is clear that the police response should always be proportionate and consider the welfare of young children as a priority over any perceived insults.”

The mother of the boy who brought in the Quran said he was autistic and had received death threats.

Apologising on his behalf, she added: “He hasn’t eaten since Wednesday afternoon when this occurred because with his autism.

"It’s put his anxiety to a level where he is beside himself. He is very, very sorry.”

The case is believed to be considered a “non-crime hate incident”, giving police a way to record an incident which does not necessarily meet the criminal threshold.

Source: LBC

I saw that and I think the world is just losing its mind. The police actually took this seriously and everyone was on their knees begging for forgiveness. It's just crazy, a 14 year old boy dropped a book on the floor, he didn't kill anyone.

Last edited:
I saw that and I think the world is just losing it's mind. The police actually took this seriosuly and everyone was on their knees begging for forgiveness. It's just crazy, a 14 year old boy dropped a book on the floor, he didn't kill anyone.
Exactly! People seriously need to pull themselves out of this "perpetually offended" mindset. Stories like this are all too common. Too many people have lost all perspective and context, and autistics are the one's with this issue. I think not.

Britain's hate crime statutes are simply too broad where such accusations do not require bodily injury to have occurred. Leaving incidents like this to make the headlines, but not likely result in any convictions in court.

A perfect example of bad laws created with the best of intentions. Even when autism is- or isn't involved.

Exactly! People seriously need to pull themselves out of this "perpetually offended" mindset. Stories like this are all too common. Too many people have lost all perspective and context,...and autistics are the one's with this issue. I think not.

Did you see the details of this case and how the police, the boys mother and the school employees reacted? I was shocked. It was sickening. I just wanted to slap them and say "snap out of it!".

Last edited:
But how does it make the headlines? I assume someone wanting their 5 minutes of fame who sells their story to the press.

Ed

But how does it make the headlines? I assume someone wanting their 5 minutes of fame who sells their story to the press.

Ed
Does it matter how? The point is that it did.

Plus consider the origins of the tabloid press. Makes for quite an exotic environment even for mainstream news publishers like the Times. On occasion I can't tell one from the other. ;)

Last edited:
Becuse someone made a huge deal out of it. And had the police not taken it seriously and someone had instead said "oh just shut up and stop whining, it's a book, get over yourselves", the entire town would be a pile of ashes now. So this was a pretty big news story, I hope people noticed what happened there.
A town in ashes? Well that escalated pretty quickly.

Ed

A town in ashes? Well that escalated pretty quickly.

Ed

Have you not watched the news in the past 5 years? That's what happens, rioting. Total chaos. Do a picture search for "Easter riots Sweden" for example. That's why those people were on their knees apologising wildly. They were scared because they knew what would happen.

Last edited:

The irony I see is that had the police done nothing would have probably equally produced an exaggerated set of circumstances for the press to exploit. Especially on what we call a "slow news day".

Ed
It's the media now-a-days. They love nothing better than to stir up controversy and divisiveness, and will use disinformation, will withhold information, will be full of bias, and thrive on partial truths just to make people get upset. The media doesn't have a "filter" either, as several of these stories are just plain stupid to the point where I feel I have lost a few IQ points for even clicking onto the story. Who is accepting these stories for publication? Where is the media person who says, "Nah, this person or story is simply too "low bar" to even waste my energy with it." Frankly, I think it's institutionalized sociopathy. It's ruining societies. You really have to step back and have your wits about you whenever you click onto a "news piece", as most "news" is simply an "op-ed" in disguise. You have to be willing to take the time to read "news" from several sources and gather your facts, which most people don't. I think news outlets sort of count upon their audience being "intellectually lazy" and "reactionary".

I am all for free speech and a free press, but I also believe that there should be transparency, equal attention given to both sides, some actual research done, and no "agenda" behind what is being told to us. I think we've fallen down that "rabbit hole" of doing just the opposite.

I would love to see a news outlet that does nothing but positive stories, as well. That would be a breath of fresh air.

No this has nothing to do with tabloids. The tabloids did not stir up anything in this case. Someone did stir up something in a big way but it was not the newspapers. The newspapers just told us what happened.

No this has nothing to do with tabloids. The tabloids did not stir up anything in this case. Someone did stir up something in a big way but it was not the newspapers. The newspapers just told us what happened.
These days given how competitive the 24-hour news cycle has become, on occasion it becomes difficult to tell the difference between how a tabloid operates versus a mainstream publisher.

Where the only effective way to sniff out a big story that lacks a degree of credibility is to monitor the three major wire services. If they don't run the story, it's not only not news, but probably not factual either.

And then of course when it comes to broadcast news...the credibility factor erodes even faster these days.

Though in this particular instance, keep in mind that under Britain's laws, police have little discretion in determining what constitutes a hate crime based on how the law was crafted in the first place. The media gets to "score" whether a law has been broken or not based on whether the police act or not. Allowing the media to profit and for taxpayers to ultimately pick up the tab.

If anything is truly newsworthy here, IMO it's the flawed hate crime legislation itself. Apt to stir up so much trouble for a perceived transgression that the court may not even choose to prosecute over. I just don't see such legal mechanisms as particularly helpful to autistic people let alone other minorities.

Last edited:
Regardless if the tabloids stirred up this specific controversy themselves or not, maybe safe to say at this point the news media in general coupled with social media has a big hand in keeping the public on edge on just about everything that goes on. All they care about is clicks (in past selling papers--not much has changed), not so much about integrity.

Social media and internet has just made it easier for each person to voice their opinion on everything, even if it's irrelevant to them, which I'm sure can be addicting. Who really knows about the context of what happened and what was said etc. The irony is that the controversy is being inadvertently blown up just by sharing news stories so we can all comment on it. The cycle continues.. (which is why I haven't clicked or read the story--don't need to see it).

Last edited:
Regardless if the tabloids stirred up this specific controversy themselves or not, maybe safe to say at this point the news media in general coupled with social media has a big hand in keeping the public on edge on just about everything that goes on. All they care about is clicks (in past selling papers--not much has changed), not so much about integrity.

Social media and internet has just made it easier for each person to voice their opinion on everything, even if it's irrelevant to them, which I'm sure can be addicting. Who really knows about the context of what happened and what was said etc. The irony is that the controversy is being inadvertently blown up just by sharing news stories so we can all comment on it. The cycle continues..
Indeed.

Sometimes I hear people talk about how they could avoid problems if the newspapers just didn't write about something that happened. And how the newspapers make problems when they tell people about something that happened. That's a dangerous road to take.
It can sometimes be "a dangerous road to take". However some of us live in societies where various freedoms are valued well beyond considerations of safety and security.

Those of us in societies which cherish freedom of the press to a maximum extent. With civil statutes which carefully define what constitutes "legal malice". And how the press is often protected under a legal umbrella of "absence of malice". Where reporting actual facts carries no civil penalties as defined by "legal malice".

In this instance safety and security are considerations for the state- not a "free" press. But then IMO much of any law involving a "zero tolerance" stance is bound to cause unnecessary havoc.

Last edited:
There's either one of two things going on here:

1 - school administration panicked because racist stereotypes made them think they were all going to die or destroy their careers, so they blew the whole thing out of proportion desperately hoping something they did will cover their butts

-or-

2 - the kids were doing some seriously disrespectful stuff and school admins are trying to forge a single plausible explanation whilst obfuscating what really happened, making all other accounts mere rumors

-

Either way, autism has nothing to do with the way this event is presented. I'm offended it's even been mentioned. Throwing autism under the bus seems like a bigger "hate" crime than a copy of a book accidentally being ruined.

All of this makes the school look desperate and ruins their credibility. If they wanted to appear as honest, community oriented leaders they would have sent out a simple, dignified statement like:

We are reaching out to our Muslim friends in the community. A few non-Muslim students were studying a copy of the Koran at school. The book was accidentally dropped in a crowded hallway and heavily damaged. We want to be as respectful as possible in handling this Holy text, so we are inviting input from the community on how to proceed.

Something like that on Facebook would have gone a long way toward proving intentions are the best with all parties concerned and allowed the school to punch above it's weight when dealing with hecklers and threats.

Last edited:
I'm glad the same fuss isn't so common over Christian artifacts. I've lost count of how many times I've accidentally dropped or misplaced my copy of the bible.

Seriously what is it with religious texts and their fatal fondness for gravitational pull?

In a multicultural society - and Wakefield is certainly that - there are sensitivities sometimes being stretched to the limit, and authorities often too busy trying to protect all sides and voices. Add in a media deliberately trying to inflame because it's good business, and who are often invested heavily in extremes, and you'll always get this kind of story.

It's really only news because somebody wanted to make it into news, when really it was just a minor story.

New Threads

Top Bottom