• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

KillerMidget

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been here very long but this site and all of you have provided me with so much support and insight and I am so grateful to have found my way here.

I'm in serious trouble. Despite the tremendous amount of effort I have put into doing my job, I have finally messed up enough to earn myself a disciplinary. I am very good at what I do and my work itself is done very well. I constantly go out of my way to go above and beyond what is required of me. Unfortunately, I slip up when it comes to the other aspects, in this case it is capturing my time sheets which my company takes such things very seriously.

They have done everything by the book, I've received the necessary warnings. I've tried to explain that I'm doing my best (because I truly am) but sometimes I slip up.

I honestly care so much about my job and I have improved. They have even acknowledged my improvement. I slipped up once and they have seized the opportunity. I've told them about my my condition but they have always dismissed it. I feel that my condition has played a major role in landing me in this situation. Everyday is a struggle to rise above my Autism, ADHD, Depression, major Anxiety, OCD, Insomnia and PDA and I am proud of what I have managed to accomplish.

I don't know if I can fix this but I have to try. I don't know if I have any rights that can buy me another chance but I'm hoping that one of you will be able to throw me a lifeline in the form of advice or resources.

I try so hard to make it in a company of nearotypicals, I try so hard to keep up with them despite how hard it is. They think I don't care but I do, I care too much. No one is willing to accept the facts of my condition. I'm not asking for special treatment, I just want them to try and understand. My condition does not hinder my ability to do my job, in fact, it has helped me build it into what it is today thanks to hyperfocusing.

Sometimes my condition overrides my efforts and I come across wrong or rude or insolent but I don't mean to be. On the inside I am a loving, loyal, polite and respectful human being and I just want to do well and excel and be valued. I want to contribute more than my fair share. I want to prove my worth because I know that I have so much to offer. I just slip up on the little things and it overshadows all the good I do. I just wish I could rewire my brain so that what I am on the inside can manifest into the relentless effort I try so hard to put out.

Please, if anyone can help me in any way, please do. Can anybody relate? Has anyone found themselves in this position before?

I don't know if I can survive the loss of my job. Along with my career and what I have managed to achieve, it's one of the few things I've managed to do right.

Try to relax. I understand what your saying all to welll. But ease yourself back into a calm state. Then think carefully about your problem.

Try to relax. I understand what your saying all to welll. But ease yourself back into a calm state. Then think carefully about your problem.

I'm falling to pieces, utterly broken. Hating myself for being so useless. I can't believe that this has happened despite everything I've done.

The only things I can think of is:
1. Contact my lawyer.
2. Reach out to the community that has already done so much for me - this one.

I've done both of these... Now all I can do is try to get through it...

I hear you. I know what that feels like. But you got to keep your head. Fight threw it do the best you can. And if you are already feel like you might lose it. Check for other jobs. Take stock of your options. It will help take your mind of it.

OK you May need a lawyer but first get in touch with your national disability organisations to see what they can offer. South Africa is a signatory to the CPRD including the optional section, so you have rights not to be discriminated against and there MUST be a complaints procedure in place. By not allowing for difficulties with your time sheets and providing assistance you may have a case for discrimination.

There may be additional legislation that protects you, but that's why you need the organisations to help you. Don't delay - the sooner you contact them the better. I've been where you are now, but I knew my rights in UK law which protected me. It was still a hell of a fight though. Good luck.

If the primary reason for the suspension was around time sheets, my guess is its not as serious as it feels. I have Executive Function Deficit so I'm always prone to forgetting to scan in at beginning and end of shift, as well as any number of other paperwork/organizational tasks. The only ways I can learn to do such tasks is to write down the procedure, then figure a way to remind myself, then make sure i always do it in the same way, same time, same reminder each time. If i get out of the routine i will forget. I always scan into the time clock first, before peeing, before putting my stuff down, etc. I always check certain lists and flow sheets that pertain to doing my job at the same time and same order. If something distracts me, im screwed more often then not. Figure out what your process to remember whatever you're forgetting as regards the time sheets is, and do that! Then chill. They probably had to suspend you because , as you said, thats THEIR process which they followed exsctly. Doesnt mean they dont value you for all the other things you do well at work.

If the primary reason for the suspension was around time sheets, my guess is its not as serious as it feels. I have Executive Function Deficit so I'm always prone to forgetting to scan in at beginning and end of shift, as well as any number of other paperwork/organizational tasks. The only ways I can learn to do such tasks is to write down the procedure, then figure a way to remind myself, then make sure i always do it in the same way, same time, same reminder each time. If i get out of the routine i will forget. I always scan into the time clock first, before peeing, before putting my stuff down, etc. I always check certain lists and flow sheets that pertain to doing my job at the same time and same order. If something distracts me, im screwed more often then not. Figure out what your process to remember whatever you're forgetting as regards the time sheets is, and do that! Then chill. They probably had to suspend you because , as you said, thats THEIR process which they followed exsctly. Doesnt mean they dont value you for all the other things you do well at work.

This is me. I have to follow certain routines or I lose my head and have no idea what I'm doing. If someone distracts me mid-routine, I am almost guaranteed to forget something.

OK you May need a lawyer but first get in touch with your national disability organisations to see what they can offer. South Africa is a signatory to the CPRD including the optional section, so you have rights not to be discriminated against and there MUST be a complaints procedure in place. By not allowing for difficulties with your time sheets and providing assistance you may have a case for discrimination.

There may be additional legislation that protects you, but that's why you need the organisations to help you. Don't delay - the sooner you contact them the better. I've been where you are now, but I knew my rights in UK law which protected me. It was still a hell of a fight though. Good luck.

Thank you so much for this. Are you able to expand a little, I'm battling to find anything online.

One of the mistakes people with autism and other neurodevelopmental stuff like ADHD make is to put too much focus on the wrong things. It may be that your employer only requires 85% perfection in the actual work but wants 99.5% compliance with the time clock. After all, they don't have an employee whose job it is to go around checking what time people got there and what time they are leaving. So pay more attention to the specific complaint, and then relax a little bit when doing the actual work.

Now this may not fit your industry. If you are a surgeon, I don't think an 85% accuracy rate is good enough. If you are polishing widgets or writing code, then who knows.

Definitely find out your rights. But in discussing the situation with your own supervisor and with the human resources people, be respectful, calm, and open to suggestion.

@GadAbout This is so dead on. We often concentrate on the wrong things, interpret wrong the signals, and work ourselves up for no reason. Thanks for pointing this out.

What has your employer put in place to help you remember to submit timesheets in a timely manor?

Also, do you have an ally within the workplace that can support you?

Something that really helps me with stuff like this is my Outlook app. I have an event set daily to remember to return my radio (used for work). Otherwise, I'd definitely forget and come home with it.

If you have a smartphone, set an alarm or calendar reminder. I would be lost without my outlook calendar!

New Threads

Top Bottom