• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Please help me deal with my anxieties about moving and graduating from college

Ya Boi

I just graduated college today and am preparing to go on a road trip from Connecticut to my new home in Florida. There are so many anxieties and fears I have about this that I don't know what to do about them.

I'm scared of going to a new place. All but one of my friends are back in Connecticut and while I know places I can try to make some (such as hobby shops and D&D groups), my past experiences have me worried I'll try very hard to make friends but make none. And with how hard it is to get together with my old ones, as we have a hard time even planning online calls because they respond so infrequently, I'm scared I'll end up friendless in an unfamiliar state.

I'm scared of getting a job. I was miserable working part-time during summer break (though it may be because the job I had sucked), and I'm scared of having that feeling for the rest of my life. I haven't applied for anything yet, but my mom is adamant about me working for Disney, and I fear that I'll end up doing it no matter what I have to say (she's already shot down a bunch of other jobs I proposed but said she'll help me look when we get down to our new house).

I'm scared of moving back in with my parents. I talked about these fears in another post, and the comments made me worried if they're bad parents and I didn't realize it. I'm scared of living with them, but I rely on them for so much that I'm scared of cutting them out of my life and being completely on my own with no financial or emotional support.

These aren't even all the ones I have, but they feel the most prominent right now.

Please help. I'm not sure how to deal with these fears and I feel incapable of doing anything about them myself.

Don't have preconceptions of what you will face or do. The future is always mysterious.
Second. Think positive. Negative outlooks will impact your health and mind.
Third. Believe in yourself. That you can deal with what comes.
None of this is easy. But, negativity makes it worst.

I’ve been in exactly the same scenario that you are in right now.

Take it one step at a time. Try not to overthink things. You can do this. Your gonna be just fine.

Do not give up!

Be strong and courageous. You worked thru college which is very impressive. Don’t over burden yourself with early worry. Pace yourself.

Do not give up!

Last edited:
Take it one step at a time. Try not to overthink things. You can do this. Your gonna be just fine. Do not give up! Be strong and courageous. You worked thru college which is very impressive. Don’t over burden yourself with overwhelming expectations. Pace your self. Do not give up!

Hello Newman. Jerry says contemptuously. Lol.

Congratulations!

It's good that you're thinking and planning ahead and we've got some excellent thoughts here already.

Something to consider (though sometimes finances may complicate things) is not to rush into things, especially with work. If you have the time, connect with local resources (and don't forget your college's career services can likely still offer help as well) to gain a better understanding of the labor market where you're going and if there are any local practices that may differ from that from which you're moving from.

Consider the potential of volunteering as well to help gain experience and references, in addition to building a network. Are there any small non-profits or charities that might benefit from your skills and experiences?

Change is stressful and when several things happen at once,: graduation, moving, finding a job, it piles up. Time to try some self calming. @Wolfy Smurf and @George Newman have great ideas. The thing to recognize is that you probably have more resilience than you give yourself credit for. You have clear goals and with steadfast work towards them I am sure you will land on your feet.

New Threads

Top Bottom