• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Planning a vacation and Asperger's

pelecanus87

I realized there is a double-edged sword when it comes to Asperger's and traveling.

On one hand, since Aspies struggle socially we are less likely to have "travel buddies".

On the other hand, traveling by ourselves is potentially overwhelming in general and you often must rely interacting with other people for help when in a far away place.

Seems like it's hard to imagine a way around this. To me, the very idea of planning a trip sounds daunting. Maybe that's what's really holding me back, but also the other problems I mention above. Any thoughts or ways to simplify travel?

Sometimes traveling w/someone helps ease any discomfort and keeps it lively.
I truly travel well if l know everything about where l am going. When my family decided to go to Chicago- l spent hours researching it. It was a great trip because we knew to take cabs, to stay near the pier with Ferris wheel for my daughter, and we hit the museums, aquarium, music stores. So l say research your destination then you are more likely to really experience adventure.

Yes I plan carefully, also I usually use chain accommodation providers so I know exactly how the room will be and that there's a nice firm bed. I have had some great holidays and trips, alone or with one compatible other. I get guides to the place and do research.

I choose a quiet pleasant location. I do tend to revisit the same locations, but I also branch out and try different new ones. I have a car fridge that I use in the room so I can partly self cater. I leave air con on when I m out but usually turn it off when I m in the room, due to the buzzing noise. I try to find rooms with views, and with windows that open.

I take or buy tea bags and fresh coffee or coffee bags, and biscuits I like, and buy fresh milk for tea and coffee in the room. Simple pleasures so I feel relaxed and comfortable.

Yes I plan carefully, also I usually use chain accommodation providers so I know exactly how the room will be and that there's a nice firm bed. I have had some great holidays and trips, alone or with one compatible other. I get guides to the place and do research.

I choose a quiet pleasant location. I do tend to revisit the same locations, but I also branch out and try different new ones. I have a car fridge that I use in the room so I can partly self cater. I leave air con on when I m out but usually turn it off when I m in the room, due to the buzzing noise. I try to find rooms with views, and with windows that open.

I take or buy tea bags and fresh coffee or coffee bags, and biscuits I like, and buy fresh milk for tea and coffee in the room. Simple pleasures so I feel relaxed and comfortable.

That all sounds really lovely @Thinx

A nice, relaxing break with some well thought out, simple but effective pleasures.

Perfect :)

Sometimes traveling w/someone helps ease any discomfort and keeps it lively.
I truly travel well if l know everything about where l am going. When my family decided to go to Chicago- l spent hours researching it. It was a great trip because we knew to take cabs, to stay near the pier with Ferris wheel for my daughter, and we hit the museums, aquarium, music stores. So l say research your destination then you are more likely to really experience adventure.

When you mentioned Chicago and museums, you really got my attention. When I was a child (7 yr old), I was in Chicago with my parents. They took me to the Museum of Science & Industry. That was 67 years ago and I still remember it like it was recently. To me, that is my idea of Aspie heaven. I always wanted to go back there, but just never made it. Thanks for the memory.

I have a relative whose family always goes to Disney World, year after year after year. I don't understand that, but perhaps it is the predictability and routine that makes it pleasant for them. I do think they have several people on the spectrum in the family. Maybe Disney overload is just the ticket for them to have fun!

Myself, I prefer to have few stops in my itinerary, but just to browse the local color wherever I go.

We have to travel each other as my sister lives out of province. I enjoy it though. Always nice to see another part of Canada.

New Threads

Top Bottom