• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Plain dressing(clothes, not salad!)

kay

I am sorta apatheistic/atheist/agnostic-ish with Quaker leanings but this is really about neither. It's about women's clothing, practical-ness, comfort, and culture. The last few days I have spent a bit of time blocking pins promoted by women's clothing companies that pop up on Pinterest. It seems unhealthy for me to keep seeing what big clothing manufacturers want me to see. The clothes are always "sexy", the models mostly blond, tall, thin, and high-waisted, and seem to promote excessive consumerism. Nothing that represents this tiny, short and short-waisted woman who likes to be comfortable. Anyhoo, it has prompted another splurge of interest in Quakers and plain dress and I thought there might be a few others on here interested in plain dress for similar reasons since ASD tends to involve sensory and social issues that affect what we wear and how we shop. Does some form of "plain" interest anyone else? Why? How do you practice "plain" dressing if you are "plain"? Particularly if it is for non-religious reasons. Interested in answers from both men and women and anybody else.

Use an ad blocker and you won't have to put up with those ads. As for clothes, I go for comfort, which means mostly natural fabrics, and easy to care for -- no special washing or having to dry clean. No ruffles, lace, plaids, bright colors.

Use an ad blocker and you won't have to put up with those ads. As for clothes, I go for comfort, which means mostly natural fabrics, and easy to care for -- no special washing or having to dry clean. No ruffles, lace, plaids, bright colors.

I don't know for sure but I don't think ad blocker works on promoted pins, some of which I actually enjoy, such as things about floor tiles or art supplies.

Linen? I tend to find that difficult (often labeled dry clean only) but I see it a used a lot in rather simple, comfy looking clothes. How badly does it actually shrink? I've heard up to 10%. Rayon is soft, too but tends toward shrinking issues.

Just watching Youtube and realized what a wonderful version of "plain" Patti Smith wears. She's one of the few celebrity sorts that I rather admire, incredibly interesting person to me. And I have a much loved stocking cap and my hair tends to look a bit like Patti's part of the time so I can't help but like her.

Bamboo t shirts!!!!!!!!! from Cariloha. Most comfortable tops ever.
I have had heard great things about bamboo socks but still haven't tried bamboo anything. Soft, I assume? Guess at some point I need to try it out.

I have had heard great things about bamboo socks but still haven't tried bamboo anything. Soft, I assume? Guess at some point I need to try it out.

Oh can't recommend it highly enough, socks, T-shirts or whatever. They are not only incredibly soft but lightweight also-perfect for summer and I believe would be great for anyone with tactile issues.

T shirt or sweater and jeans are my go to outfits.
That was me my senior year in high-school. 4 t-shirts, two long sleeve button ups, a cardigan, three pair of jeans and a dress. I'd go back to it but jeans are generally uncomfy to me and I mostly wear cargo pants. I also gravitate towards plaid flannel. I still think I could get plainer. I know of a guy who owns nothing but jeans and Harley T-shirts. That's it. Dress-up, casual, or yard work.

I was always amused by fictional scientist Seth Brundle's wardrobe in the movie "The Fly". Portrayed by actor Jeff Goldblum. With a whole closet full of the same suits, shirts and pants.

He didn't want to waste any brain power on what to wear at any given time. :cool:

Have several linen shirts, and a pair of or two of pants, bought used. At this point they're about twenty years old. They're well made, and are washed and dried normally. Linen tends to be plain I've found, only problem with linen is if you wear it, it wrinkles easily, unlike cotton or denim. It's soft on the skin, and cool in the summer, which I like.
Also have one bamboo fiber sweatshirt, as does my husband. They wash and dry well. But for some reason you can't remove stains from the ones I have. Stains don't seem to come out. So my husband's looks as if it has blotches all over it.
Rest of my clothes are comfortable, cotton, wool, sweat pants and cotton or wool socks around the house. Don't wear jeans anymore. Wear the same kind of things all the time and have several pairs of them.

@Judge That's part of the rationale for wearing uniforms I think. Makes sense to me.

How true. Though it also made me think of German Panzer crew uniforms. Deliberately in black to hide the oil stains. Yet self-propelled gun crews wore a field-grey version of the same uniforms. So much for German efficiency. :p

Early in the war they also all ditched their rubber-lined berets. Guess few of them were bopping their heads on the insides of their vehicles. Most of them ended up wearing hats sort of like those in baseball. But in black, field grey and camouflage.

Heer Panzer Crew Headgear

However in the Russian army, they still wear such protective headgear to this very day.

Mannie Gentile: Combat Helmets of the 20th Century: Soviet tank crewman's helmet: Cold War era

Last edited:
I dress about as neutral as possible. A plain white or black t-shirt (no colors, no graphics, nothing that draws attention), with white or black shoes, and a black or white zip-up hoodie worn unzipped. The contrast of black and white is striking to the eyes, but the neutrality of the whole ensemble keeps me from having to deal with things like jackasses trying to read my shirt, or if the clothes make some sort of socio-political statement ending up having to defend it, or whatever. I want my clothes to say "leave me alone" - that's my fashion statement.

I like ‘plain’ clothing.

Cotton where I can, especially next to my skin, and loose.

Can’t remember the last time I wore a tight ‘anything’

I had the idea that I would have seven comfortable full sets of clothing (layers) to make dressing in a morning much simpler.

I didn’t consider the varying tasks each day may bring.

For example in the a.m I maybe thigh deep in clay soil installing a pond.

After lunch I may have to be washed and changed to attend GP appointment.

On returning home I’m resealing around the bath (to allow time to cure before rest of family use bathroom)
because the deluge of rains make going back outside and working in sticky clay soil chaotic.

Different clothes for different tasks so my idea of a ‘uniform’ for each day went out of the window.

... I went somewhere else with my answer above?

Plain clothing. Yes.
I think the parts sticking out of my clothing can’t compete with attention grabbing colours and patterns.

Really busy, chaotic colours and patterns make me a bit nauseous.

I like ‘plain’ clothing.

Cotton where I can, especially next to my skin, and loose.

Can’t remember the last time I wore a tight ‘anything’

I had the idea that I would have seven comfortable full sets of clothing (layers) to make dressing in a morning much simpler.

I didn’t consider the varying tasks each day may bring.

For example in the a.m I maybe thigh deep in clay soil installing a pond.

After lunch I may have to be washed and changed to attend GP appointment.

On returning home I’m resealing around the bath (to allow time to cure before rest of family use bathroom)
because the deluge of rains make going back outside and working in sticky clay soil chaotic.

Different clothes for different tasks so my idea of a ‘uniform’ for each day went out of the window.

That is definitely a problem. I not only may be doing quite a number of potentially messy things during a day (painting and gluing and cleaning and bunny chores) but I am messy anyways. Nothing on me last more than an hour before I have tomato sauce or something all over it. That makes plaids an excellent choice. Otherwise I am learning to keep my dirty clothes out of the hamper a bit longer because why put clean clothes on to get dirty all over again? I could still use a uniform though I think. At least for most of the time.
My husband wears pretty much the same thing all the time no matter. He does try and reserve a few good stuff for business and going out but all his other clothes (which look just like the good stuff)he just wears from mowing to cooking to the grocery store and never worries about what a mess they get into. Doesn't bother him one bit to go to the grocery store in pants covered in cake batter and a hat draped with cobwebs.

I mostly wear long, loose tunic tops and yoga pants. I love bright coloured clothing. I hate scratchy labels on the back of my neck and I cut them off. Jeans are too bulky and uncomfortable for me. I hoard clothes, so now that I have been reminded, I will dig out my bamboo t-shirts. They are divinly soft and staining isn't a problem because they are black.

I wear loose, casual clothing, jeans and T-shirt and a sweatshirt in winter, trainers. I don't like bright colours or any clothing with writing on it. I wear mainy unisex or men's clothing.

I don't like clothing with the firms logo or brand name in big letters all over the front of the garment. If I'm to advertise their product, they should be paying me to do it, not me paying them!!! After all, they pay celebrities and sportspeople thousands to do it, why shouldn't they pay me too?

That is definitely a problem. I not only may be doing quite a number of potentially messy things during a day (painting and gluing and cleaning and bunny chores) but I am messy anyways. Nothing on me last more than an hour before I have tomato sauce or something all over it. That makes plaids an excellent choice. Otherwise I am learning to keep my dirty clothes out of the hamper a bit longer because why put clean clothes on to get dirty all over again? I could still use a uniform though I think. At least for most of the time.
My husband wears pretty much the same thing all the time no matter. He does try and reserve a few good stuff for business and going out but all his other clothes (which look just like the good stuff)he just wears from mowing to cooking to the grocery store and never worries about what a mess they get into. Doesn't bother him one bit to go to the grocery store in pants covered in cake batter and a hat draped with cobwebs.

:D

I am often surprised and ask my husband “you going out in that?”
Meaning is he going out of the house in what he’s wearing.

He laughs and says “yes” and off he goes.
He isn’t worried in the slightest. I think he looks like a homeless person :)

He has suggested I get overalls or a tyvek suit to wear over my clothes so that no matter what I find myself doing chore, task or hobby wise I only need simply to remove the outer layer and ...’Ta dahhh’ I’m clean, presentable and ready for anything.

It’s an excellent idea but they just don’t make ‘Tenna Lady’ robust enough for fumbling with a onesie in an emergency :)

New Threads

Top Bottom