• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Physically beaten due to social anxiety.

Illkurok

King of Isolation
Today something happened that the title perfectly describes, I was beaten up in public because of my severe social anxiety. Apparently it's just an excuse to be a coward and that I should be ashamed to have it.

It's not just something I can "get over" or "just stop." It's been something that has haunted me my entire life, I've tried really hard as I've aged to deal with it, and while it has gotten better, in some situations I just shut down because of it still.

I debated for awhile whether or not I should make this event into a thread, but I felt that it was severe enough to release it. While this was happening, I noticed people just kept walking by, like nothing wrong was happening. I defended myself until I fell to the ground, then I did my best to protect my head and face until finally after my assailants were done, I slowly picked myself back up and limped home. I felt extreme shame, like maybe they were right in some degree and that I just needed to suck it up, but I know that I couldn't just do that.

Last edited:
Have you had any injuries checked over by someone medically trained?
(Were you conscious throughout?)

Have you or are you going to involve any authorities?

In no way is it right to physically assault someone. For any reason.

No, they definitely weren't right. Sometimes people are just jerks and you were unfortunate enough to meet some at the worst possible moment. We both know that anxiety, social or general, is not something you can just switch off. You did the best you could in that moment - you defended yourself from further harm, both physical and emotional. That's what counts.

You can always create a thread whenever something happens that creates in you a need to speak. People on this forum are very supportive and won't count any situation like this against you. Otherwise, if you do not wish to create a thread, there is The Ranting Room thread available in General Private Discussion part of the forum.

Keep up there. You're doing what you can. Don't put yourself down for something you can't easily change.

Have you had any injuries checked over by someone medically trained?
(Were you conscious throughout?)

Have you or are you going to involve any authorities?

In no way is it right to physically assault someone. For any reason.

I've been checked over, nothing is broken. I'm okay for the most part minus some cuts and bruises.

I was conscious through it all. Something like this in my opinion isn't worth alerting anyone. I used to get beat up all the time in high school for geeky and physical reasons. I just let it go.

I've been checked over, nothing is broken. I'm okay for the most part minus some cuts and bruises.

I was conscious through it all. Something like this in my opinion isn't worth alerting anyone. I used to get beat up all the time in high school for geeky and physical reasons. I just let it go.

Physical assault is never fine. If the bruises are extensive, I would suggest taking photos as proof, as well as writing down the characteristics of assailants and make sure that they get a profile. If you don't fight for yourself, it may get repeated.

Then again, I don't know what kind of neighbourhood you live in and if you're going to get more enemies than it's worth it. I will leave it to your own judgement.

Possibly starting self-defence classes or maybe boxing would enable you to protect yourself better next time, as well as teach you how to get into the calm, defensive mindset even under the pressure - but then, it depends on your willingness to step out of your comfort zone, as well as your financial situation.

Physical assault is never fine. If the bruises are extensive, I would suggest taking photos as proof, as well as writing down the characteristics of assailants and make sure that they get a profile. If you don't fight for yourself, it may get repeated.

Then again, I don't know what kind of neighbourhood you live in and if you're going to get more enemies than it's worth it. I will leave it to your own judgement.

Possibly starting self-defence classes or maybe boxing would enable you to protect yourself better next time, as well as teach you how to get into the calm, defensive mindset even under the pressure - but then, it depends on your willingness to step out of your comfort zone, as well as your financial situation.

Despite what happened, I have been trained in how to defend myself. The biggest disadvantage was the numbers game. They knew to go for my legs too, my weakest area. I have a feeling my limp due to Cerebral Palsy gave them the idea. Once those are taken out, it's over for me.

I don't live in the best neighborhood, but it's certainly not the worst either, but these were people I didn't recognize, so. I'm usually pretty good at remembering faces though, so if I run into these guys again I'll probably have better results, well as long as I can stay up that is.

Despite what happened, I have been trained in how to defend myself. The biggest disadvantage was the numbers game. They knew to go for my legs too, my weakest area. I have a feeling my limp due to Cerebral Palsy gave them the idea. Once those are taken out, it's over for me.

I don't live in the best neighborhood, but it's certainly not the worst either, but these were people I didn't recognize, so. I'm usually pretty good at remembering faces though, so if I run into these guys again I'll probably have better results, well as long as I can stay up that is.

Alright then. I hope it doesn't worsen your anxiety and that it was an unfortunate one-off event. If possible, try avoiding that road for the time being. How is your running?

People attacking another in groups always seemed so pathetic to me. Corner one of them 1 on 1 and suddenly their whole attitude changes. Which doesn't mean you should do it. Not worth the potential retaliation.

Alright then. I hope it doesn't worsen your anxiety and that it was an unfortunate one-off event. If possible, try avoiding that road for the time being. How is your running?

People attacking another in groups always seemed so pathetic to me. Corner one of them 1 on 1 and suddenly their whole attitude changes. Which doesn't mean you should do it. Not worth the potential retaliation.

With the way my ankles are, running is almost impossible. I might make it a few feet and then fall over once my ankle pops.

I’ll definitely try avoiding the area for as long as I can. I do worry though about the potential chances of running into them again. I have this thought in my head that they might hover around the area for awhile waiting to see if I return.

But, like I said, I’ll do my best to avoid it. I’ve never been a fan of confrontation. I do my best not to ruffle anyones feathers in life and keep to myself.

It was as you said just an example of people being jerks.

I am so sorry this happened to you. It makes me angry. I'm glad you can come here and talk about it if you want to and I wish, as probably most of do, that there was something more I could do.

Look, all l can say is l am so sorry this happened to you, it's something that can happen anywhere to anybody. Next l will say that people not getting involved is typical of a big city type atmosphere. Next l strongly suggest you get pepperspray to wear on your keychain. Another good idea start kicking boxing or Karate, l think this will give you a better image of yourself, you will walk more confidently. Again, l am so sorry you went tbrough this but we are here for you, with support

Pepper-spray, a knife, anything to defend yourself with!

I carried both of those for a while, when I was being stalked, but they're bulky and I work with kids now so I don't anymore.

But I bet it'd make you feel better just to have them!

Luckily I never had to try using them, but it helped to know they were there.

I never even imagined this as a possibility at our age (we're the same age :eek:)! I thought high-school was the end of this sort of thing. I'm sorry. :(

So sad that people are that lame and pathetic. I'm glad you're okay even though I'm sure your ego is pretty bruised. I got the crap beat of me once by 4 or 5 guys while defending a friend. I agree with others here, carry a weapon. When taking on multiple attackers no matter how much training a person has its almost always a losing battle, despite what we've seen in movies. As far as martial Arts training goes Brazilian Jujitsu and Muay Thai Kickboxing or American Boxing are probably the best. A combination of them for sure. But yeah, arm yourself with some type of weapon. I hope they don't come at you again. If they do I hope you win.

While this was happening, I noticed people just kept walking by, like nothing wrong was happening. I defended myself until I fell to the ground, then I did my best to protect my head and face until finally after my assailants were done, I slowly picked myself back up and limped home.

I felt extreme shame, like maybe they were right in some degree and that I just needed to suck it up, but I know that I couldn't just do that.

First of all (GASP ) im so terribly sorry to read this my friend

Second reg the folks kept on walking its sadly the norm in society and also sadly the price for trying to step in is possible they gt beaten down as well ,As you describe this there was gang and well in all honesty the ods wouldn't be that high any citizen just stepped in THIS said some should have called 911 tho

Let me make this CHRYSTAL clear my friend NOONE has the right to attack other people and most defenetly NOT people like us If ANYONE over here try this on me they better do the job properly cause as long as can stand up i will defend my self with ANY means i got & if beaten i WILL someday come out of the hospital and i WILL take them one way or another believe that (death scull )

You have NOTHING to feel ashamed of my friend NOTHING you hear me.

And for the record you did the right thing based on you were severely outnumbered getting down and protected youre face and body as well as you could,I would have as well in this circumstances . trying to fight them would most likely only trigger this poor excuses for human beings to go even further.

Last edited:

I carried both of those for a while, when I was being stalked, but they're bulky and I work with kids now so I don't anymore.

I never even imagined this as a possibility at our age (we're the same age :eek:)! I thought high-school was the end of this sort of thing. I'm sorry. :(

Fino dear carrying weapons will only risk further escalating the process as we here talking about a Youth gang aprantly they most probably have guns :(

Last edited:
Here's the thing: Contact the authorities when something like this happens. Always. NO EXCEPTIONS.

I know there's always this temptation to be the tough guy and "shrug it off" or "just deal with it", or the temptation to avoid confrontation (that one that so many of us here feel) but that's the wrong choice for about a bazillion reasons.

Even if you are fine with yourself being beat up, keep in mind: A bully, or anyone else who fulfills that type of role, doesnt normally target only one person. If someone like that isnt stopped, they'll do it to someone else too... and that could end badly. As in, permanent damage or death. Not because of weapons or something like that... even just a basic punching CAN kill. THAT is why it needs to be stopped. You may have gotten through it. But someone else might not. Heck, YOU might not, the next time it happens.

Get the police involved. Seriously. That's what they are there for.

Just be careful will these. Pepper-spray and blades of more than certain length are illegal to carry in public in many countries. Better to check the laws before doing it. What is quite ironic is that the repercussions of carrying around a blade in public in my country are worse than the ones coming from a basic physical assault.

Here's the thing: Contact the authorities when something like this happens. Always. NO EXCEPTIONS.

I know there's always this temptation to be the tough guy and "shrug it off" or "just deal with it", or the temptation to avoid confrontation (that one that so many of us here feel) but that's the wrong choice for about a bazillion reasons.

Even if you are fine with yourself being beat up, keep in mind: A bully, or anyone else who fulfills that type of role, doesnt normally target only one person. If someone like that isnt stopped, they'll do it to someone else too... and that could end badly. As in, permanent damage or death. Not because of weapons or something like that... even just a basic punching CAN kill. THAT is why it needs to be stopped. You may have gotten through it. But someone else might not. Heck, YOU might not, the next time it happens.

Depends on the kind of neighbourhood/city he lives in. Sometimes the police is less than useless.

Getting the police involved in the extremely small town I live in is pretty much a waste of time.

If you have any emergency, a pizza will get delivered to your house faster than the police would get there here.

I could spend all day giving you reasons why, but I really don’t want to. Just take my word for it.

What’s done is done, all I can do is move on and protect myself better next time.

They were the cowards. They were trying to excuse their cowardly selves by blaming you for their cowardly actions. You are probably way more braver than any of them unless you too hunt for someone who is alone and looks frightened while you are with your GANG of hoodlums.

I am angry hearing about their childish behavior. It would be difficult for most people to be confronted by a group. How do they think they would fare while being judged and condemned by an immature group of men wanting to harm them? The power difference (one against several) is not fair and makes them a bigger coward. Did it really take all of them against one man who is having an anxiety attack? Yes, it probably did... because they are all cowards!

I hope you reported their butts! They go on the prowl looking to harm people who can’t make eye contact and who are alone. This could escalate to even more serious crimes. It sounds like they loved it.

It beggars belief that people would do such a thing for so little reason. My jaw dropped a bit reading it.

Its terrible you had to experience this. I'm glad you don't have any major injuries from it.

You have nothing to be ashamed of as this was an act of pointless criminal assault. They saw an opportunity to make their puny self-esteems feel bigger. If anything, be proud of yourself for fighting back, picking yourself up, and coming here to talk about it.

New Threads

Top Bottom