• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Physical traits of Aspergers?

grapesicles

Does anyone know if there are any proven physical traits of AS?

I've noticed one topic on here saying that we look younger (which is great!) - I've also read on other sites that physical traits of AS include particularly skinny limbs and hypermobility, both of which myself and my mum have (she has never been diagnosed but shows even more signs than I do).

Are there any other physical traits of AS that you've heard about? Are there any truth in these or just speculation?

A physical trait most (but not all) of us have is the classic Aspie stare.

A physical characteristic may be a tendency towards clumsiness.

Debz, from what I understand, it's not dressing younger so much as it is actually looking more youthful . . . no clue why that is, though.

Often aspies have trouble sleeping, me included, so can develop bags dark shadowing under our eyes. I agree with the aspie stare though- unfortunately it can creep people out.

I think I definitely have the aspie stare or maybe its more of a stony expression. Back in high school some of the older kids called me "Spock" which didn't really bother me at the time or even now. Clumsiness can be a major feature of AS which can be more negative especially in a social/work/school situation. Even now in my middle age I would still love to be more co-odinated and athletic.

I tend to stare off into the distance at times.. neither am I as fit as most other teenagers my age..

Clumsiness (slowly eroding that away though.).

The ones I know are or told...
Tendency to have a fixed or limited facial expressions (walking around with a scowl or serious/bored expression most of the time)
Staring off into space/looking a bit blank
Clumsiness at certain tasks such as catching a ball
Shyness or discomfort in crowded situations
Awkward gait or habit of tripping/stumbling more than most people
Looking young for their age/dressing young

I'm told I have a face like concrete, which seems consistent from the above posts and from my research.

Haha no, it's that my facial movements are normally very limited thus my face must be made of concrete lol

I had to Google who Ben Grimm is lol

Last edited:
I have been told by the people at work that I very seldom smile or have much in the way of expression and I've noticed that the aspies I have met in person are the same even if their voices have expression. When there is a change such as a smile (i.e due to an amusing thought or seeing a good friend approaching) it can linger longer than an NT's does and this is in my opinion one of the reasons why aspies get accused of smiling inappropriately, though some I have met have normal expressions but they are fewer than the 'scowling' ones.

A lot of people have told me I look younger than I am. Last summer when I was 19, I told a couple of ladies at the library my age and they couldn't believe it. I look forward to how old (or young) people will think I am when I'm older, especially age 40 and above.

Debz, from what I understand, it's not dressing younger so much as it is actually looking more youthful . . . no clue why that is, though.

Perhaps it might come from the fact that quite a few care less about the social convention of dressing "age appropriate" (whatever that may be). Add in acting more along the lines of "however you want" rather than "how you should".

I mean, I notice a world of difference between myself and others my age just based on those 2 things. Maybe it's the wrong crowd I'm comparing myself with though. But acting more "me" compared to, what I can only perceive as a responsible and serious adult, is one of the things I've heard people tell me quite a few times

Perhaps it might come from the fact that quite a few care less about the social convention of dressing "age appropriate" (whatever that may be). Add in acting more along the lines of "however you want" rather than "how you should".

I have a very hard time paying attention to age. I don't actually know how old I am. I had to write down my partner's birthdate and I mentally have to calculate how old she is by that date. I don't really care if someone is too young or old. The whole "appropriate for your age" thing does not exist for me as an instinct. Everything is manual.

So, yeah, I dress however I want and it's never in vogue for my age. I also tend to behave in patters that span a wide variety of age groups.

New Threads

Top Bottom