• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Perspective.

OrangeSquash

When I was a child, and in my teens, I was very musical. This is something that has been passed down on my fathers side of my family from generation to generation, and thus when I was 7 or 8, I had a brass instrument thrust into my hands. I tried my hand at it for the next 15 years or so, but I didn't really ever fall in love with it - I guess I felt I ought to participate as my parents expected me to do, not because I really wanted to, although with hindsight I would not change a thing.

Today, I had the pleasure of meeting an old music teacher (of sorts) at his home to borrow an instrument with a view to possibly (time permitting) getting back into some sort of ensemble. I met his family, his wife and his 2 kids - one of which has autism. I was aware of this already has I had seen it on social media, but I wasn't really too sure what to expect from a 6 year old boy with autism.

I had a really lovely time with them, their kids played in the pool and we had a laugh and a general reminisce about old times. Whilst I spoke about what has happened in the last 13-15 years of my life, I didn't want to say that I suspect my self to be HF ASD, I guess I was cautious about outshining their son who was clearly not high-functioning - yet, and didn't want feel like I was jumping on the band wagon if you'll excuse the pun.

Anyway, whist I have vivid memories of my childhood, or what it was through my eyes, but the whole experience today does put things into perspective in terms of my own struggles and difficulties. This guy was the first person who I ever felt believed in me, who didn't have to - and he's someone I will hold in high regard for as long as I am alive.
Thank you.

I had a shop teacher who played music, and built a guitar. He inspired me to build my own. After I graduated I went back to him and he let me borrow the spool clamps he made for clamping down the fingerboard. Now he's retired from teaching but still plays music.

New Threads

Top Bottom