• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Personal Training Frustrations

paloftoon

V.I.P Member
I feel stuck between the nerdy couch world and the gym bunny world.
I don't want to be a gym bunny, but I don't want to get sicker cause I chose not to attempt to be active either.
Everyone around me encourages consistency, at least 1-3 times a week.
What if I want to do once every two weeks?
I need to breathe outside of work. There are videos I want to watch. Food I want to try- good and bad for me.
Spending time to try to build and forge strong relationships and friendships.
Do errands and de-clutter well.
Sell lots and lots of stuff I don't need anymore- if it's not worth anything- I'll know after time and it'll be easy for me to let go of it afterward.
Because of the pandemic, I don't want to sign up for another gym that is with a group or requires gym membership (that I probably won't use enough) for a personal trainer.

At first, I didn't know I wanted a personal trainer when looking for a new gym. Trainer #1 basically wanted me to come weekly and there would be 4-6 people in the room. That didn't work out for me.

Trainer #2- great rate, the complimentary workout was quite intense for me. Thought about it for a few days. Tried to get a bunch of training sessions and accidentally insulted him and his reply was that he didn't have any spots left available for personal training. He instead encouraged me to do group training. I was turned off by it and thought about it and declined the next day. The day after, I wrote him an e-mail apologizing to him if I had insulted him and told him I was only focused rigidly on getting a great value and that he was a quality instructor basically.
I really wanted this trainer to work out cause his gym was a 4 min drive away and about a 20 min. walk. Definitely a motivation to go to gym for me.
I'm thinking about asking him for personal training for 2022, and not to ask until like Oct-Dec 2020, cause it's the only way the awkwardness will erase for me. He runs the gym himself. I think he is likely to decline whether he truly has an opening or not, but I have nothing to lose by offering another opportunity to rebuild the trust that was lost too.

Trainer #3- He was speaking too fast over the phone. He recommended coming in-person. We meet and he still talking real fast. He's real frustrated about my initial request because one is not supposed to ask for anything post-dated for reimbursement purposes. I tried to ask for installments or something prorated but he kept cutting me off and hurrying me and told me it's simple. That I pay x amount and and that my reimbursement would be taken care of. I then explained to him that the gap between my reimbursement and the package he's offering is too big for me (a couple hundred). Then he was willing to prorate toward my reimbursement more. But he was so mean about it and we didn't even start the complimentary workout that I declined gratefully and left. One of my friends knew about this place and she doesn't want to consider after the reaction I got.

Trainer #4- Saw him advertised as a personal trainer in my area in OUT magazine. Applied and phone appt was canceled cause he does virtual sessions only.

Trainer #5- Too expensive, but I ended up going with him anyway cause the first 4 trainers didn't work out. He spent time with me and is willing to work with me. He's got exercise and personalities down to a science and really cares and wants to work with me. He seems to get me. He works with another trainer, and they have a cool looking instagram. The trainer he works with is hot too- not that I'm expecting anything from that- hahaha.
He has worked with special populations before, and doesn't go into detail on his website about that. I really like that- he really gets it.

This whole ordeal with finding and communicating and immersing myself with the personal trainer culture has been very emotionally agonizing for me. I am not a fan of working out as it is. I want to feel supported for balancing my life- I don't want things shoved down my throat. I've already been going out of my comfort zone so much here and there. Just trying to find a personal trainer and having made that decision totally on my own is already a big step for me. I feel like I'm borderline crying about the issue sometimes. It's a bit draining for me. I made an appt with my therapist, especially since my deductible for the year is paid off.

So good to hear you have managed to get through such an extensive search and experience and have found some options that are better suited for your lifestyle. Good job and be happy with yourself!

Personal trainers are a very personal subjective choice. You are picking someone with similar familiarity and training style and communication and price range that works. Even location plays into the final equation, no wonder it takes so long. Trainers are looking to see how long they can hook you into a payment plan. Some are willing to go from lesson to lesson, but very few do.
But you are doing a great job of breaking down what works for you.

Once every two weeks is probably a bad idea. People end up in the ER with what is known as "weekend warrior syndrome." They think they can exercise vigorously one day a week while doing little or nothing the other 6. That doesn't work well.

IMHO personal trainers are nice for people with money and who need encouragement. I've never been able to afford one myself.

I like the sound of #4

Sell the clutter you've been meaning to get rid of and put the funds toward affording his fees.

In the meantime, walking is free. HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training- cardiovascular)
can start with power walking.

Gets you off the couch, an excellent channel for that frustration you're feeling, getting fitter, free,
with a bonus rush of endorphins afterwards.
what's not to like? :)

I don't feel like walking helps that much and I'm not opposed to it. Two Octs/Novs ago, I walk and ran a total of 14 miles in one day. I was fine walking. Running was more of an issue cause of health related reasons.

New Threads

Top Bottom