• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Perception Bias Much?

Nervous Rex

High-functioning autistic
V.I.P Member
It's been two years since I was diagnosed as autistic and since I joined this forum.

I'd like to think I'm settling down into accepting it and working with it. I've gotten past the compulsively-tell-everyone-about-it phase and can now do it on a need-to-know basis only. I'm getting better at finding ways to work around my severe-lack-of-focus times and getting better at getting enough sleep so it happens less. I'm not embarrassed to stim anymore.

But I swear ... I still think that everyone who has the slightest little quirk must be on the spectrum, too.

I try to be aware of it and keep it to myself. It's now a running joke between me and my wife: "Did you hear what X said?" "Yeah, he's on the spectrum."

We laugh, but in the back of my mind, I'm concerned about the trend. I can't be right about everyone I think that about. So, how do I get rid of this thought pattern?

I'm guessing that, since autism is now a familiar context for me, it's easy to frame my observations of others in that context. Maybe I need to study a few other forms of neurodiversity or read up on some other common psychological topics, just to break the autism-as-first-choice reflex.

Or will this eventually settle down, too?

One thing I've noticed is that many autistic traits are simply human traits, but exaggerated. For instance, everyone loses function when they are tired, but we reach that point more quickly because basic things take more effort for us (thus, we get tired faster--and because basic things are harder, we're more likely to fail at them when tired). Many people stim, but we often do so in more obvious and distinct ways (think repetitive phrases and "hand flapping" versus humming or tapping one's foot). I'm not one of those ignorant people who thinks "everyone's a little autistic", because there's a lot more to ASD than a few exaggerated human characteristics. But this might be part of why you're reading so much into certain quirks.

I'm kind of the opposite as far as seeing it everywhere. Apart from myself, there are only four people I can think of who I suspect are on the spectrum. Two I'm certain of, two I'm not. I was quite skeptical of my own self-diagnosis, as well, although I was eventually forced to accept it by weight of evidence.

One thing I've noticed is that many autistic traits are simply human traits, but exaggerated.

Yes. The degree of a trait or behavior. Or what I refer to as "amplitude".

That it's the amplitude and overall number of traits and behaviors of the Neurodiverse that separate us from the Neurotypical. It's why aspects of autism shouldn't be so easily or often marginalized, even though it seems to happen. That having a few such traits alone isn't what puts one on the spectrum of autism- or OCD and other comorbid conditions.

Quelling that thought pattern may be as simple as applying probability initially.

(Of course there's always the chance you unknowingly live and work in a circle of those mostly on the spectrum?)

That aside, realistically how likely is it that everyone of those you observe for what may be a short amount of time will be on the spectrum?

Can you collect enough 'data' on each individual to compare with diagnostic criteria to reach a reliable conclusion?

If you can't,
stop trying :)

...trend may dissipate?

(Of course there's always the chance you unknowingly live and work in a circle of those mostly on the spectrum?)

That aside, realistically how likely is it that everyone of those you observe for what may be a short amount of time will be on the spectrum?

I work in a department with hundreds of engineers. Pretty high probability that some are autistic. :p

But in all seriousness, you’re right. I probably need to continually remind myself that I haven’t observed the person enough, and I’m not qualified to make a diagnosis even if I had.

Also, I'd say it's a bit like a glacier, their behavior being the small visible part and their thoughts and feelings being the bulk of it underneath. Judging anything by the tip is dubious.

Maybe you feel like you are with your tribe? Like you should all chant and pound drums around a fire? Do you just feel accepted and right at home at workplace?

My current place has a few such quirky people and there is little conflict, which is pleasant for me.

The area that I think is crucial to my understanding of being autistic / having a different brain function, is only really apparent to me as an absence, and took for ever for me to realise therefore.

It's what I don't notice or connections I don't make in real time interaction that seems crucially different. You have posted about this too. Who do you see who seems to be showing this? They are the ones likely to be somewhat autistic. I do think it's more visible when you have become aware of this yourself.

I find it easier to say "not" rather than "is" but there's plenty of "maybes". For instance, there's been a trend for people labelling politicians they dislike as autistic/aspergers and it's VERY easy to say "not" in almost every case. There's one or two "maybes" but no definite.

I find it easier to say "not" rather than "is" but there's plenty of "maybes". For instance, there's been a trend for people labelling politicians they dislike as autistic/aspergers and it's VERY easy to say "not" in almost every case. There's one or two "maybes" but no definite.
Please tell me Jeremy Corbyn isnt autistic please God

Please tell me Jeremy Corbyn isnt autistic please God

Names are not relevant in this thread since that delves into actual politics. The thread is about identifying or relating to others on the spectrum.

The people who have been associated with autism are cited as so because they are seen to be callous, dishonest, keep repeating the same phrases, talk over interviewers, avoid scrutiny, insist they are correct in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, exercise blatant double standards and display a distinct lack of empathy when faced with the consequences of their actions. Those posting about it are deadly certain and are directly accusing those they suspect of misleading the public by their lack of "admission". The implication is, of course, that autistic people are unfit for office in these people's eyes.
What's so unpleasant about it is that it reflects the view many people still have about autistic people. I can say without hesitation that such qualities are not ones I associate with the many fine autistic people I know on this forum and elsewhere.

Names are not relevant in this thread since that delves into actual politics. The thread is about identifying or relating to others on the spectrum.

The people who have been associated with autism are cited as so because they are seen to be callous, dishonest, keep repeating the same phrases, talk over interviewers, avoid scrutiny, insist they are correct in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, exercise blatant double standards and display a distinct lack of empathy when faced with the consequences of their actions. Those posting about it are deadly certain and are directly accusing those they suspect of misleading the public by their lack of "admission". The implication is, of course, that autistic people are unfit for office in these people's eyes.
What's so unpleasant about it is that it reflects the view many people still have about autistic people. I can say without hesitation that such qualities are not ones I associate with the many fine autistic people I know on this forum and elsewhere.

In terms of social standards,morals etc
I've found the difference between someone who is autistic and someone who isnt.

The person who isnt has barely thought about standards,morals,their place in the world.

The autistic person,often coming from a place of ostracism for no reason, has thought about it often.

Also, I'd say it's a bit like a glacier,...
full
(Did you mean "iceberg...?")

It's probably like when you get a new car and suddenly start noticing other cars with similarities. You're more aware of the traits so you're picking up on traits. Just remember that similarities doesn't mean it's the same make and model. :)

It's probably like when you get a new car and suddenly start noticing other cars with similarities. You're more aware of the traits so you're picking up on traits. Just remember that similarities doesn't mean it's the same make and model. :)

This, and @Fino's glacier comment, and a few others all seem to lead me in the same direction. I can empathize with traits I see in others without diagnosing them.

One example - on Monday I was talking to one friend about a mutual acquaintance who can never seem to finish one thought before he starts the next. My friend said, "I just don't get how his mind works." I said, "I totally get it. Each thing he hears or thinks reminds him of 20 other things. I get that all the time. The difference is that I consciously filter out what I don't think is appropriate or relevant to the conversation. He has no filter." ... And, of course, I then said I thought he was on the spectrum, too. Next time, I can keep the "I understand him" part without declaring whether he is or isn't autistic.

Another reinforcing thought - the DSM lists several criteria that must all be met to diagnose someone. So, seeing one trait isn't enough for a diagnosis. More of that glacier thing.

I read "glacier" and pictured an iceberg in my head. Then, I wrote "glacier", too.

Interesting - my wife says that it is usual for me to think I have told her something when I have just thought it, and it has not made it to the outside world.

This, and @Fino's glacier comment, and a few others all seem to lead me in the same direction. I can empathize with traits I see in others without diagnosing them.

One example - on Monday I was talking to one friend about a mutual acquaintance who can never seem to finish one thought before he starts the next. My friend said, "I just don't get how his mind works." I said, "I totally get it. Each thing he hears or thinks reminds him of 20 other things. I get that all the time. The difference is that I consciously filter out what I don't think is appropriate or relevant to the conversation. He has no filter." ... And, of course, I then said I thought he was on the spectrum, too. Next time, I can keep the "I understand him" part without declaring whether he is or isn't autistic.

Another reinforcing thought - the DSM lists several criteria that must all be met to diagnose someone. So, seeing one trait isn't enough for a diagnosis. More of that glacier thing.

And the point I meant in regards to an example like that would be that it could just as easily be ADD, ADHD, manic phases of Bipolar, he's a coke addict, or any number of other things you'd be guessing if you experienced them.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom