• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

People sitting in parked cars

Ezra

Relax, it's just chaos.
Something I have taken notice of is it seems there is usually someone sitting in a perked car somewhere nearby.

And I wonder why so many people are sitting around in parked cars like they are on a stakeout or something.

I've noticed that too and I'm guessing I'm halfway across the world from you. I think it may have something to do with the global situation going on now. I can't say for sure though, I never asked.

So many people where I work spend their whole lunch break sat in a car. Literally 3 minutes walk away are woods and lakes and beautiful scenery - and yet, they sit in their cars.

I make a point of getting to work early to walk through the woods twice a day and do my contact staffing too. Office jobs are sedentary, and I make a point of incorporating as much exercise into my day at work.

The only time I sit in my car is when I've walked or staffed in hot temperatures, and then I sit in my car for 5 minutes with the air con blasting to help cool me down, so I don't go back in the office all sweaty.

When I pick up my partner I make a point not to get there too early. I park outside the shop she works, but even sat there a couple of minutes next to the sidewalk makes me feel awkward; like I shouldn't be there. I find no end of people peer into my car as they walk past. Sometimes I just recline all the way back and rest my feet on the dash - it's comfy and it hides my face away from onlookers.

Ed

I haven't noticed this. I will start peering in to check for people. Perhaps I ll see Ed with his feet on the dash...

I'll deny all knowledge.

tenor.gif

Not Ed

I see this a lot here in the city.
Sometimes I can see them reading things. Women putting on make up or doing their hair in
the mirror.
Most of the time they are messing with their phones.
I'm guilty of that also.
Many times I find a shady spot on a road and sit there texting or talking for long periods of time.
Just seems like free time to do that.

If you've noticed an increase in this lately it may be that they are waiting for a companion to complete an errand that they would normally do together but due to social distancing guidelines they have decided that only one will do it while the other waits. I spent 10 minutes sitting in my car yesterday while my friend bought us some food. Normally I would have gone with him just to stretch my legs a bit, but the takeaway had a 1 person at a time rule. Earlier in the day I'd spent several minutes sitting in the car waiting to pick him up from work. A week ago I took my cat to the vet and they had customers waiting for appointments in the car rather than in the waiting room so the carpark was full of people sitting in their cars, I'm gussing a lot of places have similar policies at the moment.

I figure being on the phone is the number one reason.

But to me it takes on a sinister quality. Like they are there as observers. I mean anywhere I go where there are parked cars, there inevitably is someone alone in a car. Sometimes I see them looking at what is going around them. Maybe they are reporting what's going on in their sector to "headquarters" on their phones.

I see this a lot here in the city.
Sometimes I can see them reading things. Women putting on make up or doing their hair in
the mirror.
Most of the time they are messing with their phones.
I'm guilty of that also.
Many times I find a shady spot on a road and sit there texting or talking for long periods of time.
Just seems like free time to do that.

Ah, perhaps you're one of them. One of them and you don't even know it! :eek:

If you've noticed an increase in this lately it may be that they are waiting for a companion to complete an errand that they would normally do together but due to social distancing guidelines they have decided that only one will do it while the other waits. I spent 10 minutes sitting in my car yesterday while my friend bought us some food. Normally I would have gone with him just to stretch my legs a bit, but the takeaway had a 1 person at a time rule. Earlier in the day I'd spent several minutes sitting in the car waiting to pick him up from work. A week ago I took my cat to the vet and they had customers waiting for appointments in the car rather than in the waiting room so the carpark was full of people sitting in their cars, I'm gussing a lot of places have similar policies at the moment.

Actually I have thought about bringing this up for years. Although I agree with your theory 100%.

We often discuss this topic with my family when we eat together. We have NO IDEA what they're doing. Some of them are litterally doing NOTHING. It's really a weird phenomenon.

There's been a few times I noticed people in their cars doing absolutely nothing. I never paid that much attention to it, but now I'm wondering what those people were really doing...

The thing is they don't look suspicious offhand. They don't look like drug dealers or cops. Just an average person sitting in an average car. I get the feeling if I knocked on their window and asked what they were up to, I would end up on the back of a milk carton.

Yeah where I live you don't really see that. When I do see someone parked close to my place I go out and take a photo of their vehicle and license plate then ask why they are there. I live on eleven acres away from society so they really have no business here.

Waiting in the car while spouse/family member/partner etc goes into the store to get something quickly.

I had a great-aunt who lived in a small farming community. One of the things she liked to do was drive her car into the small town, park in a space on the little Main St that was maybe only a block long and people watch while she ate her lunch that she'd packed from home. That was like her harmless version of entertainment.

Several reasons. One is the heat. People don't want to be in a park when it's so hot. The other is the staggering amount of evictions. A huge amount of people could not pay rent last month. There are many people living out of their cars.

New Threads

Top Bottom