• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

People in the Public Eye with ASD

LeroyT1000

There's a few household names that have been suspected of having ASD. For example, the late Dan Aykroyd and Tim Burton. However, I see some other public figures and I wonder if they have it too. The late great Robin Williams seems likely. Jim Carey? To me it seems plausible that many could have ASD especially those who are very introverted off stage. Christian Bale?

What are your views?

There's a few household names that have been suspected of having ASD. For example, the late Dan Aykroyd and Tim Burton.

Dan Akroyd is live and well.

Of the known actors on the spectrum of autism, the one that always comes to mind first and foremost is Daryl Hannah.

So many of us routinely mask ourselves in everyday life just to get along. Yet some took it a step further to become successful actors. Stands to reason! Hats off to all of them. :cool:

Last edited:
I think, a lot of celebs who might be on the spectrum, probably have whatever they do which got them celebrity status as their "special talent".

I've always considered those people to be talented and be more intuitive in their craft, rather than the "formal route" of education so to speak. I guess that's no different than, say, musicians (who might be public, but just not that prominent) who are on the spectrum.

Oops my bad don't know why I thought he was dead! :( Yes I remember reading something about Daryl Hannah.

It's James Belushi who's dead isn't it? Wrong Blue's Brother!

Of the known actors on the spectrum of autism, the one that always comes to mind first and foremost is Daryl Hannah.

So many of us routinely mask ourselves in everyday life just to get along. Yet some took it a step further to become successful actors. Stands to reason! Hats off to all of them. :cool:[/QUOTE

So many of us routinely mask ourselves in everyday life just to get along. Yet some took it a step further to become successful actors. Stands to reason! Hats off to all of them. :cool:

Oops my bad don't know why I thought he was dead! :( Yes I remember reading something about Daryl Hannah.

It's James Belushi who's dead isn't it? Wrong Blue's Brother!
John Belushi is dead.Jim is still alive too ;)

I'm not going to out anyone that isn't already out but yes, there are more celebrities on the spectrum than most know. Some of them are among the hottest stars out there right now, some are well known but not currently the hot topics, some are deceased, some retired, some up and coming.

We've got Grammies, Emmy's, numerous platinum singles and albums, every award imaginable. A red carpet event doesn't happen without at least three or four of us being present and, at least one of us nominated and, more often that not awarded. You won't vote for the best of anything in the entertainment world without at least one of us being in the running.

Add our off stage crew, studios, talent agencies, photographers, even spin doctors and damage control teams and, the numbers grow. Add food service, and general studio staff and, there are even more on the spectrum but, that's true of any mental health issue and any other not physically obvious issue. Deaf, blind, bipolar, even Downs Syndrome, Fragile X Syndrome and more.

We are often criticized for our fame and appearance of perfection but, the entertainment industry is one of the most accepting, accommodating industries in the world for anyone with any disability or difference. Yes we have our experts that work very hard to maintain our illusion of perfection, luxury, easy lives but, that is also a big part of what makes the industry so well suited for those with issues. Even without psychologists and therapists, we get the guidance and education we need to live our lives to the fullest, to maximize our potential and, because we are enabled to do that, we have the money to get any other help, education and treatment we need.

This business is powered by the star makers, and that includes making behind the scenes stars in everything form cleaning to cooking to makeup and wardrobe, fashion design, set artwork, set design, interior designers, fitness experts, dieticians, electronics and computer technicians, the list of specialties we need and, have people capable of making anyone with a bit of natural talent the best in is nearly endless. Not all of them put you in front of the cameras or behind the mics or even on the stage or set but, a star in their field is still a star even if the public never knows how good they are.

I think that the population has a focus on those who struggle with life on the spectrum.It doesn't offer many chances to see success stories of those whose life is rather bland in the eyes of many. Celebrity is a way to soften the blow of how they perceive us and gives them a feel good instead of an oh my,I'm glad I am not like the usual picture of autism I don't understand nor care to.

There are a lot of us out there who managed to make a good run at life that never enter the limelight.I have contributed many items to the world you live in and can positively say that everyone on the planet has benefited from what I got to share with y'all as a result of being on the spectrum.

I manufactured and designed items that I actually got to see on retail displays in stores,in their intended industrial environments and even got to see or hear in the entertainment world. Most of the time in a small manufacturing sector,the supplier of products never gets to see a part they made again. I have often taken photographs of stuff I was involved in mounted on the machinery it was designed or made for.

I can say proof positive that I was the guy that designed the fixturing that held every Cadillac Northstar engine block that was ever built for cleaning before the final assembly after the machinework was done. Although the production figures are not readily available,Cadillac produced over two million units mounted in various platforms according to production estimates.
If you have ever watched triple crown horseracing,you have seen my CNC machined aluminum race horse shoes in action.

I don't often share this kind of information freely here because I don't want to come across as bragging,but yes,there are many more of us out there just like me who never sought a diagnosis for their quirks.

20160109_144805.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly Nitro a lot of us that are successful never have reason to seek an official diagnosis and, even if we were diagnosis as some are, we don't often have a good enough reason to go public with that diagnosis.

Two come to my mind immediately, both very famous, both have had public meltdowns, one of which was televised yet no one suspects either of them of being an Aspie. The meltdowns are attributed to nerve, stress and/or lack of confidence because it was early in their careers. Both are diagnosed but, the world will never know unless either of them chooses to come out. Yet to anyone that knows ASD, if they actually paid attention to them, it would be obvious. There aren't even rumors about either being on the spectrum.

That's how well some professions can help us hide and, how even meltdowns can be twisted into something perfectly normal.

Exactly NitroTwo come to my mind immediately, both very famous, both have had public meltdowns, one of which was televised yet no one suspects either of them of being an Aspie. The meltdowns are attributed to nerve, stress and/or lack of confidence because it was early in their careers. Both are diagnosed but, the world will never know unless either of them chooses to come out. Yet to anyone that knows ASD, if they actually paid attention to them, it would be obvious. There aren't even rumors about either being on the spectrum.

This brings up something I didn't consider, but is interesting to add.

When is a "meltdown" specifically a meltdown attributed to ASD? Plenty of people have meltdowns in a sense. Tantrums, weird phases... but there's no exact blueprint on what a meltdown constitutes for someone to be considered on the autistic spectrum.

Just as different as autism manifests in each of us, in how we act and deal with it, even the way we cope, and have a meltdown or shutdown, is often deeply personal in how it manifests itself. Not every meltdown does neccesarily have to end in say, crying, screaming and heck... throwing stuff around or whatever.

Yes King_Oni and that's why we, or PR people, the media, whomever might see it can easily write it off as something normal, nerves, stress, being overly tired, too long on tour, even a nervous breakdown. Any way you hide it, the assumption is that with a break of some limited duration, the person will be fine and, it won't happen again.

Well it does happen again but, after one dose of a public meltdown, you and, if you have them, your people, get a lot better at making sure you get somewhere private before all Hades breaks loose. Thus the illusion of us being normal holds, no one is the wiser and once again the general public is kept in the dark as to what we really go through and why.

I'm trying to change a bit of that but, I know I can't do it alone and, I am getting others to help me but, it's not going to happen fast. First it take a lot of courage for those of us in the public eye to come out, risk our image, reputation and careers to do it. Second changing public misconceptions takes time and, even longer to convince the world we are not insane, damaged or defective just because we have struggles "normal" people don't have to deal with. We've also got to convince them that we are not unintelligent or retarded, we aren't mentally ill just because we are on the spectrum. That is a huge challenge because so many of us have other things comorbid so, that's going to be the most difficult to show the public.

Beverly that brings up something I have wondered, how can one who has a large public following feel justified in keeping their ASD secret, when we know full well that celebrity endorsements of causes hold a tremendous sway over public opinion? How do people in the limelight see others suffering because of public ignorance regarding ASD, and not feel compelled to speak out about that injustice from a personal vantagepoint?

Not trying to be accusatory, just want to point out that not all of us here can be regarded as influential, and not everyone has both the gift and the burden of having others care about their perspectives and experience. And celebrities always seem to want causes, why do they shy away from this one when they could be instrumental in radically changing the cultural attitude toward ASDs?

It's simple really, while we know the endorsements would help bring attention and awareness, coming out is a huge risk to our careers. ASD is seen as a disease, mental illness, defect, deficit, abnormal and, it's one that cannot be effectively treated so as to eliminate all symptoms and, it cannot be cured.

A big part of our success is our ability, with the help of a very large team of professionals, to appear to live idyllic lives, to appear above, or at the least able to easily recover form or fix anything that might be wrong with us. Coming out as less than perfect and, beyond repair destroys that image and, costs us fans. Fans mean sales, money, our very livelihood. Yes it can be done but, as with any negative revelation about us, the way it's done has to be carefully orchestrated. As I know personally that cost money, a lot more than you might think and, that has to come out of my own pocket.

Some are either to selfish or too afraid to ever come out. Some, because of family, some because of their handlers, some for more personal reasons and, a few because they are already facing a good deal of hate for other reasons and, can't cope with any more, they live every day on the edge of emotional overload.

Just because we are in the limelight doesn't mean we are really any different than anyone else. Some of us can do it and can handle it, some can't.

Exactly Nitro a lot of us that are successful never have reason to seek an official diagnosis and, even if we were diagnosis as some are, we don't often have a good enough reason to go public with that diagnosis.

Two come to my mind immediately, both very famous, both have had public meltdowns, one of which was televised yet no one suspects either of them of being an Aspie. The meltdowns are attributed to nerve, stress and/or lack of confidence because it was early in their careers. Both are diagnosed but, the world will never know unless either of them chooses to come out. Yet to anyone that knows ASD, if they actually paid attention to them, it would be obvious. There aren't even rumors about either being on the spectrum.

That's how well some professions can help us hide and, how even meltdowns can be twisted into something perfectly normal.
Britney? :)

When a celebrity has meltdowns I always wonder is it due to some childhood trauma like abuse or something along those lines. I haven't thought that the meltdowns could be due to ASD until today until Beverley pointed it out so thank you things kind of make sense now. Justin Bieber maybe but I always put his problems down to his time with P Diddy :(

I think that the population has a focus on those who struggle with life on the spectrum.It doesn't offer many chances to see success stories of those whose life is rather bland in the eyes of many. Celebrity is a way to soften the blow of how they perceive us and gives them a feel good instead of an oh my,I'm glad I am not like the usual picture of autism I don't understand nor care to.

There are a lot of us out there who managed to make a good run at life that never enter the limelight.I have contributed many items to the world you live in and can positively say that everyone on the planet has benefited from what I got to share with y'all as a result of being on the spectrum.

I manufactured and designed items that I actually got to see on retail displays in stores,in their intended industrial environments and even got to see or hear in the entertainment world. Most of the time in a small manufacturing sector,the supplier of products never gets to see a part they made again. I have often taken photographs of stuff I was involved in mounted on the machinery it was designed or made for.

I can say proof positive that I was the guy that designed the fixturing that held every Cadillac Northstar engine block that was ever built for cleaning before the final assembly after the machinework was done. Although the production figures are not readily available,Cadillac produced over two million units mounted in various platforms according to production estimates.
If you have ever watched triple crown horseracing,you have seen my CNC machined aluminum race horse shoes in action.

I don't often share this kind of information freely here because I don't want to come across as bragging,but yes,there are many more of us out there just like me who never sought a diagnosis for their quirks.

View attachment 22856
Did you get that patented Nitro? I do hope you got all the credit!!! o_O

New Threads

Top Bottom