• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"People have it worse than you."

Ameriblush

Violin player.
I recently had a falling out with one of my family members regarding what I went though growing up with my mother(who suffers from bipolar disorder and depression that she won't get sorted out.) I had been beaten, neglected, malnourished, and verbally abused by her growing up until my pre-teen years. I had a sibling who lost her life due to her neglectful attitude, and I had the misfortune to see her die. There was a day when she accidentally left the oven on and nearly killed both of us, and acted like it was no big deal when she discovered it.

I was discussing what I went through and how hard it is for me to forgive her after all these years. I started talking about how I had issues going out anywhere with her these days because it's hard to trust her moods when she's with me, and a disagreement with her almost always end with me crying or getting into a violent punch-out with her. Then my relative responded that I could try to forgive her.

When I went into detail about the things she did to me, he simply responded that people go through way worse things, so it was probable for me to forgive her.
I responded by throwing my plate onto the floor and leaving. I don't know about your interpretation, but that comment about the "way worse things" is what made me keep quiet for so long about the abuse I went through, made me a doormat for people bullying and mistreating me, and pulling a wool over my eyes when I noticed something wrong in situations where my actions could have helped somebody greatly. I don't give a damned about the rest of the world, it's a conversation about me, my history, and how it's affected me. I don't care if people are starving in some third-world country, getting tortured in jail, or have watched people die in front of them, I have my own life and own problems.

I know that sounds selfish--I still don't care. A lot of things I say sound selfish to people, I just learned to stop caring about what anyone else thinks anymore, because prior to that ideal, I just muzzled myself when I had an opinion of my own or disagreed with something someone said to me.

For years, I would refuse to get psychological help for problems because I simply thought that because people went through "way worse" than me, I had no right to complain or say anything. When I blurted that out to a therapist, she thought it was an absurd belief. If somebody went through trauma, it affects us all negatively. I'm going to have PTSD for the rest of my life because of the crap she did to me growing up. I have flashbacks, anxiety, I've lost jobs because of focus issues because I'm too busy lost in the back of my head thinking of the days I spent getting hit relentlessly for something I didn't do.

Being abused by your parent, witnessing a loved one die, and getting bullied sucks, regardless of what you went through, and it's serious trauma that everyone will have trouble getting past. But to use "people have gone through worse" as an excuse to not be so hard-assed to my mom was the worst things someone could say to me, because that same phrase is what kept me from being upfront to the therapists and counselors that could have gotten me help long ago.

Most people grow up thinking that what they went through was the worst thing ever, then they get over it. I seem to be the opposite: I downplayed what I went through for years until only recently, when I have been suffering from flashbacks, violent outbursts, depression, and revenge fantasies that distracted me from school work lately and have made me seriously reconsider returning to college for the spring semester.

To tell me that just made me beyond angry, and I have a major pet peeve against the word because I see it as being used against people who ever complain about or have difficulty with something, like work, bullying, troublesome thoughts, etc.
It's just that the whole "bigger problems" idea NEVER calmed me down or worked on me. If anything, I'd get more upset because it felt like I was getting ignored or belittled.

Last edited by a moderator:
To tell me that just made me beyond angry, and I have a major pet peeve against the word because I see it as being used against people who ever complain about or have difficulty with something, like work, bullying, troublesome thoughts, etc.
It's just that the whole "bigger problems" idea NEVER calmed me down or worked on me. If anything, I'd get more upset because it felt like I was getting ignored or belittled.

That line rarely helps anything, I don't know why people keep using it. It shows a total lack of empathy. Sort of like the "It's not all about you". ( No it's not. But at this point it's about me. Hey, it's not all about you either, buddy).
Phrases used by people who don't give a **** and can't be bothered.

You are NOT being selfish at all! This is is not at all uncommon - when people are faced with abusive situations, many will just go into denial about it, saying things like, "others have it worse" or whatever else they have to say! Please don't ever, ever believe that. I have finally come to accept the validity of the impact my own family experiences had on me, even though nobody else around me might believe me (though thankfully my husband does). As for "trying to forgive" the person - you can totally forgive them, but that doesn't mean you have to trust them again. When people assume that you haven't forgiven a person just because you don't trust them, when they falsely assume it's due to your bitterness (which maybe it is, I don't know - but in my case, it is not), they are pressuring you into denial. I am estranged from my own father because I absolutely cannot trust him and it is too stressful to try to deal with him the way that he has been his whole life. Others may say it's because I have bitter or angry feelings towards him - I don't have that at all - I just don't trust him. I've forgiven him. But I'll never trust him again, he has failed too many times to maintain that trust. I avoid this topic with most people who wouldn't understand, and I even avoid people who would bring up this point of view with me. It makes me beyond angry, too!

You are NOT being selfish at all! This is is not at all uncommon - when people are faced with abusive situations, many will just go into denial about it, saying things like, "others have it worse" or whatever else they have to say! Please don't ever, ever believe that. I have finally come to accept the validity of the impact my own family experiences had on me, even though nobody else around me might believe me (though thankfully my husband does). As for "trying to forgive" the person - you can totally forgive them, but that doesn't mean you have to trust them again. When people assume that you haven't forgiven a person just because you don't trust them, when they falsely assume it's due to your bitterness (which maybe it is, I don't know - but in my case, it is not), they are pressuring you into denial. I am estranged from my own father because I absolutely cannot trust him and it is too stressful to try to deal with him the way that he has been his whole life. Others may say it's because I have bitter or angry feelings towards him - I don't have that at all - I just don't trust him. I've forgiven him. But I'll never trust him again, he has failed too many times to maintain that trust. I avoid this topic with most people who wouldn't understand, and I even avoid people who would bring up this point of view with me. It makes me beyond angry, too!

I'd take this advice if I were you, for sure. Not forgiving someone, especially someone who has been this abusive to you, is like ingesting poison and expecting another person to die.

I know that sounds selfish-

It is NOT selfish.

The appropriate response to a comment like "other people have it worse", in my opinion, is "So what?"

You are absolutely right that knowing other people "have it worse" does absolutely nothing to make your experiences any less awful (as if there is a universal measure for these things anyways....there isn't, and people will -- at least to a point -- have lots of disagreement about what is better or worse).

You are not obligated to forgive anyone, and should only do so if you want and/or need to. I'l try to understand and to cultivate compassion for people, but my forgiveness must be earned or it's not given. It does not hurt me to not forgive people who have done horrible things to me....everyone is different and must do what is right for them where forgiveness is concerned.

Well, you had it worse than me, you have my sympathy and I understand your feelings. My partner claims she understands that I have challenges, and acknowledges that I have had to struggle harder than others to get where I'm at in life. Yet she still pulls out the old "others have it worse" line, usually followed by "some people lose their legs, and they learn to deal with having a disability..."

I don't understand the need for some people to react that way. I have come to think they are generally not nice.

I responded by throwing my plate onto the floor and leaving.
I would have done the same.
You are having compassion for yourself, you are not being selfish. But in case of doubt, you are also allowed to be selfish.
Your first responsibility is to love yourself. Remember that.
Stay away from toxic people, specially if they are family. What you endured, from what I can read here, was terrible. Unfortunately, not everybody will understand it. Stay away from those people that don’t get it, because they do not contribute to your wellbeing.

Strife in our lives and how we interpret it is relative to the individual. We never should downplay someone's feelings by saying "lots of people have it worse than you"... I've heard it more times than I can count and it always pissed me off. A wise person once said to me "No matter how bad your life may be, there are thousands of people who would be willing to step into your shoes." While this is kind of similar in lines of thought, I thought it was at least a little bit more polite way to say "Keep your chin up." Rather than making me feel belittled, it made me realize how lucky I am,even though I too have been through strife.

You are no time selfish at all and showed great self control by not aiming that plate at your relative. a lot of us here were abused and Wow. The things we are told .

My abuser systematically silenced me so I can never speak of it. Not even to a therapist. It sucjed at first but then I realized it stopped people telling me things like that. It was a violation of my rights blah blah but now people have to just imagine. It was on the news so they can dig but I don't tell them that.

Maybe u can say u can't talk about it. People are perverse. THEN THEY WANT U TO! I am so sorry you are enduring all that. You have many others here who get it.

PS. Experience does not equal coping. Yes Victor Frankl went through worse than us but he survived and had a sea of social support, his doctorate, and much friends ' . I love him but I am not him. He wasn't disabled. I do believe a schizophrenic under a bridge with no love, no support, and years of mental suffering had it worse than Frankel. I would have rather spent two years in hell and get out than 25 In never ending hell. Hell is hell AND ironically Frankel would have more compassion onthe man under the bridge than people who pretend to have read his books!

I agree, to use the argument that other people have it worse than you belittles your problems and shows a very dismissive attitude. Yeah sure, other people do have it worse than me, but that doesn't invalidate what you are going through. It is as if they are trying to tell you that you don't have a right to your feelings, and that's not true, you have every right to your feelings.

This is another relative to avoid. They are trying to shut down your experiences so they can cling to their fantasy of whatever happened.

I understand the coping mechanism where we compare our situation with someone else as a way of gathering strength or putting things into proper perspective. For instance, I use the mental reminder that whatever I am dealing with, it is not as bad as:

• Europe during the Black Death
  • China during the Communist Revolution under Mao
  • any village during a Mongol raid
  • being eaten by a short-faced bear
and so forth. But... that is on me. It's my coping skill, and no one gets to throw this one at me except me.

Me getting an uncleanable stain on my new clothing is a disaster if I don't have the extra money to replace it. It's like having someone steal that amount of money out of my wallet when my back is turned, and no one acts like that is no big deal!

Coping with things is something no one else can do for us, and while we do need to come up with ways, belittling our suffering, of any kind, is not something a kind person does.

A wise person once said to me "No matter how bad your life may be, there are thousands of people who would be willing to step into your shoes."

There is also a saying/idiom-like-story-thingy (that I may have taken too literally, bear that in mind, as the words are almost totally gone from my memory now and so it's basically just the imagery I translated) about a bunch of people getting together around a table and putting their problems onto the table to trade them, thinking they'll get something easier.....and when the problems are on the table, fully visible in every aspect so that each person can truly understand what it is like to experience that problem, everyone takes their own problems back.

(I'm not against counting blessings/ways in which a person is lucky or privileged, especially if it makes a person feel better or gives them compassion for others....I'm just emphasizing how it's all relative; For every thousand people who would like to walk in your shoes instead of their own there may be a thousand people who are glad they don't have to walk in your shoes....And also how easily people judge each other around stuff like this despite how the inner experiences of another person are mostly impossible to know and understand even if you are the most empathic, socially skilled person on the planet.)

Last edited:
The phrase is horribly misused to dismiss other people's problems in a total lack of empathy. Your problems are as real as they are real to you. Yes, other people have it worse but that doesn't make what happened/is happening to you okay.

I use the phrase to remind myself that if people with stories - honestly, people with stories like yours - can face the day and all its difficulties, then so can I. The difference is that it's okay for me to say that to myself, it's not okay for someone to say that to you.

Regardless of whether other people have it worse or not, this life you have is yours to live, and it's perfectly normal that your experiences would primarily affect you. From that perspective, whatever other people are experiencing, whether it's worse or better, is irrelevant.
If somebody badly broke their leg, it wouldn't be right to tell that person "Meh, we won't do anything about it, because other people have it worse than you, and have no legs". Won't change a thing to the pain you're feeling. I suppose it's a very awkward and ill-executed attempt at putting things in perspective, but I can't think of any example of people feeling better after a session of misery comparisons...

As for forgiveness, well, it's not something that can be forced, it has to come from your heart to be meaningful, and it can take a lifetime to get to a place where you're willing and ready to grant it; but it's also not something that people are automatically entitled to just because they're family. Your mother wouldn't need that forgiveness to begin with if she hadn't hurt you, so why shouldn't it be your call to decide whether or not you want/are ready to forgive her?

I saw this Friday, on my phone, but was traveling so haven't responded until now. The "other people had it worse" thing... may be (MIGHT!) be appropriate if some one is complaining about a small thing, but you're experience was not a small thing. It was HUGE thing, and for him to be so dismissive about it was wrong.

When I say "a small thing" I mean like someone on 'Housewives of ..." whatever complaining about getting a bad $1000 manicure. I mean, a little perspective please?

Along the same line:
The veteran with PTSD gets told by the guy with no legs... "hey, at least you can walk"
The guy with no legs gets told by the guy that is paralyzed... "at least you can wipe your own ass"
The guy that is paralyzed gets told by a widow... "at least your ALIVE"

So it's like to only way to "win the contest" is to get dead?

I saw this Friday, on my phone, but was traveling so haven't responded until now. The "other people had it worse" thing... may be (MIGHT!) be appropriate if some one is complaining about a small thing, but you're experience was not a small thing. It was HUGE thing, and for him to be so dismissive about it was wrong.

When I say "a small thing" I mean like someone on 'Housewives of ..." whatever complaining about getting a bad $1000 manicure. I mean, a little perspective please?

Along the same line:
The veteran with PTSD gets told by the guy with no legs... "hey, at least you can walk"
The guy with no legs gets told by the guy that is paralyzed... "at least you can wipe your own ass"
The guy that is paralyzed gets told by a widow... "at least your ALIVE"

So it's like to only way to "win the contest" is to get dead?

Why is it a contest? Why should anyone trivialize someone when they have come to them with genuine problems? Should it ever be an appropriate response, especially when confronted with problems as genuine as the OP's, to essentially say "well you need more perspective and then you'll see how you don't have it so bad"?

The idea is true but it just plain doesn't work. You don't trivialize people and make them out to be whiners over their life issues. There are more meaningful ways to gain perspective and foster appreciation than "people have it worse". A person doesn't need to be a holocaust victim to deserve compassion, commiseration, and support.

New Threads

Top Bottom