• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Paul Verhoeven Appreciation Thread

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
From RoboCop, Total Recall, Basic Instinct, Showgirls, Starship Troopers, Black Book and Elle, Paul Verhoeven has proven himself to be one to the sharpest satirical filmmakers to arise in the last half century. My favorite of his films is Total Recall, which is also one of his most deeply cynical films. Showgirls was horribly misunderstood when it first came out. So was Starship Troopers, which took a fascist novel and turned it into a anti-fascist satire that is even more relevant today than it was when it was first released.

What is your favorite Verhoeven film?

Tough choices. I suppose I would probably rank "Basic Instinct" as my favorite. Verhoeven's homage to Alfred Hitchcock, which I believe was right on the mark in every way. I often wonder how many people who saw the film were even aware of this.

However I also loved Total Recall, Black Book, Soldier Of Orange and Starship Troopers in that order.

Yeah, it's critical for viewers to truly understand Verhoeven's frame of mind relative to the movies he makes. Way off the beaten path compared to his director peers.

I've basically never heard of this guy aside from some dialogue from a book I read:

"And you're a racist," Beau shouts, grabbing the crumpled page from me.

I immediately pull out a Malcolm X cap I got at the premiere- signed by Spike Lee-and shove it in JD's face.

"See? Malcolm X cap. Don't accuse me of not being multicultural, you little mo."

"Paul Verhoeven said God is bisexual, Victor."

"Paul Verhoeven is a Nazi and not invited."

You forgot,
Flesh + Blood (1985) | Paul Verhoeven's violent medieval epic starring Rutger Hauer

I watched it some years ago. I liked it.

I love Total Recall. Is the remake any good? I've never seen it...

But oh man. That cabbie in the original film. "I got X amount of kids to feed." :p

Arnold Schwarzenegger was my favourite actor growing up, I must admit. Or Sylvester Stallone. I liked them both equally.

I love Total Recall. Is the remake any good? I've never seen it...
I don't want to see it. Or the robocop remake. I hear that sucks. Why watch some imitation, crappy soulless remake. The originals rock. That's enough for me.

New Threads

Top Bottom