• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Pattern recognition test

Hey! I'm at the stage of self-diagnosis and I see that people on the spectrum are good at finding patterns. So I found a website that included this small text which was claimed to be understandable by people who have above-average pattern reconition skills. First, I'm going to copy the text and the related website here and then ask a question. So here we go...
"Anidroccg to crad–cniyrrag lcitsiugnis planoissefors at an uemannd utisreviny in Bsitirh Cibmuloa, and crartnoy to the duoibus cmials of the ueticnd rcraeseh, a slpmie, macinahcel ioisrevnn of ianretnl cretcarahs araepps sneiciffut to csufnoe the eadyrevy oekoolnr."
Pattern recognition and use in real life problem solving | SureSolv
Can you find the pattern? (No cheating! :) )

I was able to find the pattern and felt realllly happy about it. So here is my question: this pattern finding exercise was a liguistic one. Do you think someone who can find linguistic patterns easily can apply this skill to numerical or other symbolic patterns as well? In other words, can someone who can easily learn a foreign language be as successful in the realm of computer programming?
Anecdotes and all kinds of opinions are very welcome.

I didn't even understand the number one to try and answer it.

The first word one, piss easy.

The second took a little longer, but once I realised what was happening, got it.

In other words, can someone who can easily learn a foreign language be as successful in the realm of computer programming?

I've always assumed that. Frankly, that why I believe I suck at programming - I was crap at learning French and Spanish at school.

To figure out most of that problem I had to type it out and put it in order.

I've always assumed that. Frankly, that why I believe I suck at programming - I was crap at learning French and Spanish at school.

To figure out most of that problem I had to type it out and put it in order.

Interesting... the brain areas associated with language and math skills must be different but your point is interesting. I've been good at learning languages but always sucked at math, physics and chemistry.

Interesting... the brain areas associated with language and math skills must be different but your point is interesting. I've been good at learning languages but always sucked at math, physics and chemistry.

I have no idea. But it wouldn't shock me to find out that they are controlled by different areas.

The first one was a no go for me, as I have dyscalculia and I couldn't even get my head around the question. The second one was really easy, and to be honest regularly gets shared by NT's I know on facebook usually accompanied by a gloating status about how clever they are. The last one was harder than the previous text, but still relatively easy to read.

I love this kind of exercises and have always excelled with it, both linguistic and mathematical. I too am on self-diagnosis stage, but starting soon (hopefully) with an official one. I was terrible at my own language classes (as in Portuguese, just like English classes in the UK) but any other foreign language I would put my mind to I would find easy to learn. My husband is Polish and I haven't yet learned it but when we go visit after the 2nd or 3rd day I'm able to understand most of the conversations around. I also used to like to find connections between the words and meaning and I remember baffling my English teacher (I would have been about 12 years) and I asked her if Monday came from Moonday just like the Sunday, and especially if you compare it with other languages that all associate Monday with the moon. She had no idea and has never answered me either, lol

That's a good one! I like the insight.
I love this kind of exercises and have always excelled with it, both linguistic and mathematical. I too am on self-diagnosis stage, but starting soon (hopefully) with an official one. I was terrible at my own language classes (as in Portuguese, just like English classes in the UK) but any other foreign language I would put my mind to I would find easy to learn. My husband is Polish and I haven't yet learned it but when we go visit after the 2nd or 3rd day I'm able to understand most of the conversations around. I also used to like to find connections between the words and meaning and I remember baffling my English teacher (I would have been about 12 years) and I asked her if Monday came from Moonday just like the Sunday, and especially if you compare it with other languages that all associate Monday with the moon. She had no idea and has never answered me either, lol

The first letter is the first letter. The second to last letter is the second letter and then continues backwords all the way to the second letter. Then the last letter is the last letter of the word.

That method of writing is supposed to discernible to anyone not having reading difficulties, not just Aspies.

Most people should be able to read this sort of thing without problems, that's just how the brain works, I'm dyslexic and managed to read it all after a few seconds to adjust. The maths problem is a better test of pattern recognition, I fell at the first hurdle in that I didn't even understand the question :sweatsmile: but I would have been able to do it anyway, I've always been rubbish at mathematical patterns.

i dont understand any of it,i do have moderate classic autism and mild intellectual disability but some guys at specsavers thought i had dyslexia to as they didnt understand i have very different visual perception as a throwback to once being severely autistic,i wasnt able to verbally tell them i dont think im dyslexic and didnt have my AAC app/phone with me.

I have noticed that I quickly lose interest in things like this.
If I see what's going on, ok.
If it takes longer than a couple minutes, I just look at the answer.

This is like mystery novels to me.
And those don't interest me.

I remember realizing, about mystery stories, hey...this is just
something some one made up. Not anything real.

I don't care.

If, on the other hand, the pattern involves human or animal behavior,
I will attend to that over time. Weeks. Months. Keep notes and
look at them. Trying to figure the pattern out.

Oh I got it: you start with the first letter of the word, then you read the middle of the word in reverse, excluding the last letter, and then you add the last letter.
For example: Anidroccg -> A-nidrocc-d -> A-ccordin-g -> According

I have noticed that I quickly lose interest in things like this.
If I see what's going on, ok.
If it takes longer than a couple minutes, I just look at the answer.

This is like mystery novels to me.
And those don't interest me.

I remember realizing, about mystery stories, hey...this is just
something some one made up. Not anything real.

I don't care.

If, on the other hand, the pattern involves human or animal behavior,
I will attend to that over time. Weeks. Months. Keep notes and
look at them. Trying to figure the pattern out.
omg literally same

New Threads

Top Bottom