• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Passionate inventor

shervin

It's My Birthday!
Hi, I'm a 42 year old Dad and a world leading computer & robotics expert, originally from Iran but living in the main alternative / conscious / hippie part of Austraila. I was diagnosed as having Asperger's 4 years ago and it didn't surprise me at all, but it was a relief to have a name for it. I was also diagnosed with Complex PTSD that same day, and they said I'm only slightly effected by Asperger's whereas my Complex PTSD symptoms are very severe, so I focused heavily on C-PTSD recovery for the last 4 years.

A year ago someone mentioned I should read the book The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome by Attwood, and it blew my mind! That book helped me realise that I'm actually very much Autistic internally, it just isn't obvious in my behaviour, and that Autism wasn't about behaviours. By the time I was 9 I had already noticed that I experienced things differently than everyone, that I always have to figure out a logical model of how each human behaviour works before I can do it, whereas my younger brother and all my classmates were somehow just naturally understanding how to be a human and how to be "normal". So I knew I was a bit different, but that book gave me an insight into what actually goes on in NT's heads that I assumed was only slightly different to mine but realised it's way more different!

Now I'm very proudly accepting that I'm autistic, and noticing how much it impacts me in subtle ways. I do struggle with many "normal" things, but I also excel at many things that most people struggle with, so I'm not complaining :)

1677539214158.png

Hi and welcome,I hope that you will enjoy it here. It's very true what you say I think, about our difference not being superficial behaviors, but seemingly we are differently wired.

Welcome! Attwood's book was also the first one I've read - though dated, it's still a good reference.

Hi Shervin, welcome to the forums and Happy Birthday.

originally from Iran but living in the main alternative / conscious / hippie part of Austraila.
That sounds like a bit of a culture shock. I'm glad you've managed to find yourself.

Welcome! I'm also an inventor, but have not done robotics. I'm very interested in the possibilities of gardening robots, though. I think they might solve a looming global problem in agriculture.

Have you tried EMDR for your CPTSD? I'm doing it for mine at the moment and it's very effective.

Ed

I'm the same as you, only very mildly affected by my autism, but my C-PTSD is an entirely different can of worms.
Fortunately, I'm doing well now.

Glad you've joined us, and if you feel comfortable, I hope you will share some of your inventions!

New Threads

Top Bottom