• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Party of one

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
I've been basically a single person my entire life, I'm a loner but a loner in public...

The last two Thursday's I've gone to music performances at a local cafe... Last week I spent part of the evening with a friend, then he left early... As I sat there on my own I noted that most of the small crowd were there to support their friend who was the musician... At one point he "sort of" picked on me, it didn't bother me really, but he had a sort of conversation with me

This week, I went again, there were about 10 people there, I was on my own again... By now the staff know me quite well though, that guy who comes in on his own... Everyone but me was there to support one of the musicians, in a way I felt out of place, but I'll still go back... I find it interesting to check out a musician I've never heard before, even if I don't know them...

Just the experience of a loner in public :) The only awkward moment was when they took a break and I had no one to interact with, while everyone else chatted... :rolleyes:

I've gone to a lot of concerts and other things alone and usually people are very nice and friendly when I do that! I prefer that sometimes! And I love not having to hear someone else's opinions afterwards. :)

Edit: Before I sound more awesome and social than I actually am, I probably should have mentioned that I was on drugs all of those times.. I should do it again just to have done it sober! Then I will be that awesome and social! I wonder if I'd enjoy it still. :eek:

Last edited:
I went to a few gigs alone when I was in my late teens, just because I really wanted to go to the gig. It was awkward! :oops:

I would be afraid it would bring attention to myself, which I don't want. But when I was a teenager I would go to dances just to sit and listen to the band. Wouldn't dance. Wouldn't socialize. Just enjoyed the music and would step outside to smoke during the breaks.

You are brave. I refuse to go out unless it's mandatory. If I want a concert, I can get it on YT and not have to smell peoples' perfumes and get touched and all that. I can't think of one thing I would want to see in person anymore.

I’ve been to the cinema on my own. I’ve had one person voice his concern that I’m on my own and he didn’t understand why I wanted to go on my own. That was awkward but I don’t think I’m missing out if I see a movie on my own. Technically there are others in the room, so im not on my own. Is it really that socially weird to do things on your own?

I used to go to shows back in the mid 2000's(2005-2009) with my younger brother and sometimes his friends. Sometimes I would take some people from work and 4 people would pile into my Jeep with me. It was the craziest thing, by the end of the show I would have always, just by chance, met at least one member of the band and had an hour long conversation with them. I didn't plan It that way, It just happened that way. One time My brother and his friends were looking for me, It was time for us to get in the car and go home, and they would finally find me, talking with the keyboardist from the headlining act!

Going places alone takes courage though. I have been publicly shamed by people many times for doing nothing to the other person or people. I didn't even look at them and they insulted my intelligence and called me degrading names. You are an easier target when you are alone. When I was with a group twenty deep, I was treated like a god lol. *shrugs*

I do think it's unusual to attend gigs and events on your own, I don't think most other people notice, but some might... I suppose it takes courage to go to these things but I've never thought of it that way

I also think there are a lot of people who won't go out to a gig or event if there isn't a friend to go with, I don't subscribe to that :D

New Threads

Top Bottom