• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Paranoia

KevinMao133

There are times when I don’t feel safe

living in Toronto the last couple of month has been weird to say the least. I remember when I arrived how much I loved the city and enjoyed my life. It changed over time

I don’t know what’s going on but I don’t feel safe. I don’t really watch the news so it doesn’t affect me. Anyways seeing the amount of homeless/ mentally ill people walking around, it adds a heightened sense of insecurity for me

how do people deal with feeling paranoid? How should I cope?

Paranoia is a psychotic disorder. Meaning first and foremost it should be determined whether or not one actually has been diagnosed as such. Otherwise it's just another term often misused. Like people who claim "their OCD is acting up", when they don't actually have it.

Being concerned about unsafe conditions in a large urban environment doesn't seem delusional, at least not on the surface. Frankly there is reason for a great many people to be concerned about their personal safety based on their immediate environment. With logic and reason or not.

You sound more worried and fearful than paranoid. When people are paranoid they are scared of things that are not real, you worry about an unsafe world. Feeling not safe when you meet possibly unstable people on the street. I don't think that's being paranoid. Not sure how to deal with it though, the world is rough and all we can do is protect ourselves.

You sound more worried and fearful than paranoid. When people are paranoid they they are scared of things that are not real, you worry about an unsafe world. Feeling not safe when you meet possibly unstable people on the street. I don't think that's being paranoid.

also homeless people as well

i know I shouldn’t judge but people who don’t dress well, or look dirty, frightens me

hence that’s why I always keep an eye on my surroundings and I’m ultra aware of what’s going on around me

hence that’s why I always keep an eye on my surroundings and I’m ultra aware of what’s going on around me
Being careful doesn't rise to the level of psychotic behavior. And the more troublesome the neighborhood you live or work in, the more reason to be careful.

Being careful doesn't rise to the level of psychotic behavior. And the more troublesome the neighborhood you live or work in, the more reason to be careful.

Yeah I always keep an eye on my surroundings when I'm in the city or somewhere with lots of people. Because I know the world is not safe and I won't blindly walk around pretending it is. I don't think there's anything wrong about that.

Paranoid thinking to me, makes me think that you over indulge that everyone is out to get you, because of whatever. Worried about personal safety because someone is waiting for you. Just wanting to be safe and unharmed because you are nervous about certain groups of people in your neighborhood is a valid concern and doesn't seem paranoid. Alot of homeless people fall hard due to mental issues, and society only arrests them, and let them back on the street sadly. I had one job where we dealt homeless and tried to help some of them.

also homeless people as well

i know I shouldn’t judge but people who don’t dress well, or look dirty, frightens me
I admit that some of them are scary, but I was one of those poorly dressed homeless people for many years.
I grew up in a rough place, to me this just makes simple common sense. Many years ago I saw a funny quote that I liked, it's just a joke but in some ways I can relate to it:

"Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me."

I admit that some of them are scary, but I was one of those poorly dressed homeless people for many years.

Lots of homeless people are nice people, wouldn't do anything to anyone and they should get help. The problem is that it can be difficult to tell who the unstable lunatics are.

I grew up in a rough place, to me this just makes simple common sense. Many years ago I saw a funny quote that I liked, it's just a joke but in some ways I can relate to it:

"Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me."
When I worked as a warehouseman and truck driver, on occasion I had to go into neighborhoods where I knew there was a possibility of getting shot for just wearing the wrong "colors". Me, paranoid? I don't think so.

It's honestly sounding like insecurity due to the environment of the city. Which is a natural reaction to feeling like things maybe not be as safe as you'd like. A social component can be involved in it too. Though I don't think it's paranoia. But I cannot say for sure myself.

I am always insecure around large crowds and generally around people. Though a majority of that comes from my lack of life and social skills.

Interesting side note: in 2020 I got a ruling from the Australian Human Rights Commission, they stated

"As homeless people are not a recognised group there can not be a case of discrimination against homeless people."

They truly are the people with no voice.

It's honestly sounding like insecurity due to the environment of the city. Which is a natural reaction to feeling like things maybe not be as safe as you'd like. A social component can be involved in it too. Though I don't think it's paranoia. But I cannot say for sure myself.

I am always insecure around large crowds and generally around people. Though a majority of that comes from my lack of life and social skills.

Same. Plus I don’t think I truly recovered from all the trauma that I endured years ago

I don’t get involved in stuff and I’m afraid because there is still a notion that I can lose everything I have in a matter of seconds

I hope I can relax one day, though I feel good somedays while feeling horrible other days

Well if they are minding their own business, then I don’t usually care

Most of them are harmless and pretty nice, and pose no threat whatsoever

Now if they are a threat, that’s another issue to talk about but I’m not afraid of homeless people, rather I’m afraid of those who pose as a threat

Just as Forest Cat mentioned, it's not always easy to tell the difference, until you speak to them anyway.

Just as Forest Cat mentioned, it's not always easy to tell the difference, until you speak to them anyway.

I think we can actually say the same about all people, not just homeless people. It can be difficult to tell who the lunatics are. I worked in a bad area in the capital here for a while and we don't have a lot of homeless people but we have some of the same problems as most other cities. And it never hurts to keep an eye on people, being aware of my surroundings helped me a few times.

Last edited:
Same. Plus I don’t think I truly recovered from all the trauma that I endured years ago

I don’t get involved in stuff and I’m afraid because there is still a notion that I can lose everything I have in a matter of seconds

I hope I can relax one day, though I feel good somedays while feeling horrible other days

I understand that. Though, with me. I tend to have a serious inferiority complex in doing things. Then add social anxiety to that and it just makes me feel like a stressed mess. Panicking, hyperventilating, and just too afraid to talk. Though the kicker is that if I don't pay attention when this happens. It tends to override a lot of my functions when it comes to doing anything the rest of the day. I end up not knowing what to do or say at all.

It's a seriously unnatural environment for a human to be in. I am not surprised that it gets to some people. I don't life in a big city, but about 25% of the people i see walking around here are up to no good.
Yes, that is very true. I live miles outside of the city in a small town and there are still lots of people here who are up to no good as well.
Doesn't help that right across the street from me is an area with a lot of nightlife. I do get scared walking around there at night.

In that case its probably better to drive somewhere its safe if you want to have a relaxed night walk.
Yeah, I usually drive. Sometimes it's just easier to walk there to go to a store because it's right across the street.
Still creepy at night though.

@KevinMao133

You have started a very important thread, and I would like to put something in to words, something that a lot of people don’t understand. I really hope you don’t mind if I use you as an example.

Most racism is based in fear. Fear of the unknown, “Those people look funny and act weird, I don’t trust that sort of thing.”. You have experienced the wrong end of this yourself, all too often I imagine. The best way to break down racism is to get people talking to each other, get them all used to each other, then nothing seems weird and scary any more.

There’s another type of racism, if you think a group of people are a bit strange and scary but they have the same skin as you then racism isn’t really the right word. The word we use in this case is Bigotry. You demonstrated this when you mentioned the homeless people and how nervous they make you feel.

On the plus side, you stated that you were willing to try and meet some of these people and try to overcome your fears. That makes you a far better man than most.

People are just people.

New Threads

Top Bottom