• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Paper and other Sensory Issues

AJH

I am currently awaiting diagnosis after getting tested last week. I am finding out the results on Wednesday, so please have me in your thoughts.

The real reason I am writing this is because I have a question. My senses seem to be a super high level. For example, I was in church today and was forced to feel paper. Every time I do, I nearly have a panic attack. This is also a problem when it comes to closing envelopes.

Sounds also bother me. When I hear a car screech, I feel like I am going to explode, along with gravel on concrete floors and paper ( I have a big problem with paper) rubbing up against another piece. Smells bother me to, with paper being a smell that upsets me along with certain trees.There are many other things that bother me.

My question is, how am I supposed to deal with these things without nearly freaking out? Paper is the big problem because I have to experience it everyday, but all of these are a huge issue for me. I've made it 19 years, but I'd like it to be easier. Any advice? (The paper thing might be weird, sorry)

Well the most obvious solution to the tactile problems would be to wear gloves, depending on how comfortable you are with doing it you might want to try rubber gloves, it would most likely raise questions from your peers but if you're okay with that it should sort out the problem.

I lot of people also use ear plugs when they know a sound is coming which they find uncomfortable, depending on the situation that might not be possible outside of walking around with them in all day.

Another thing that might help since the smell of paper also bothers you greatly, when you know you will have to deal with paper, which I know is unavoidable and all too common in our world, put a small dab of a pleasantly scented hand cram or body butter just inside each of your nostrils. At least you will smell a pleasing, happy scent and not so much of the smell of paper.

You'll still have the tactile aspects to deal with but, maybe that will be easier to desensitize yourself to if you don't have to deal with the smell at the same time. Minimizing the smell would also ease the dread of smelling paper and, anticipating having to touch it.

I have to use that rick around smoke/fog machines because the smell of propylene glycol freaks me out (it's that sickly sweet anti freeze smell.) It's very subtle with the machines but, it's there and, that's all I need to loose it but, a dab of Midnight Rose or, White Diamonds scented cream cures that problem for me.

Well the most obvious solution to the tactile problems would be to wear gloves, depending on how comfortable you are with doing it you might want to try rubber gloves, it would most likely raise questions from your peers but if you're okay with that it should sort out the problem.

I lot of people also use ear plugs when they know a sound is coming which they find uncomfortable, depending on the situation that might not be possible outside of walking around with them in all day.

Thank you. I'd love to use rubber gloves, but I'm not sure that an option for a self conscious person like my. I'll definitely look into it.

The ear plugs are a really good idea. I might have to invest in some. Thanks for your advice.

Another thing that might help since the smell of paper also bothers you greatly, when you know you will have to deal with paper, which I know is unavoidable and all too common in our world, put a small dab of a pleasantly scented hand cram or body butter just inside each of your nostrils. At least you will smell a pleasing, happy scent and not so much of the smell of paper.

You'll still have the tactile aspects to deal with but, maybe that will be easier to desensitize yourself to if you don't have to deal with the smell at the same time. Minimizing the smell would also ease the dread of smelling paper and, anticipating having to touch it.

I have to use that rick around smoke/fog machines because the smell of propylene glycol freaks me out (it's that sickly sweet anti freeze smell.) It's very subtle with the machines but, it's there and, that's all I need to loose it but, a dab of Midnight Rose or, White Diamonds scented cream cures that problem for me.

This is a great suggestion. I'll have to start keeping some cream with me just for that purpose.

Thank you. I'd love to use rubber gloves, but I'm not sure that an option for a self conscious person like my. I'll definitely look into it.

The ear plugs are a really good idea. I might have to invest in some. Thanks for your advice.
I also use noise-cancelling headphones, in some situations this is acceptable since it seems you are just listening to music. Maybe not so useful in a church setting, but some people can use them at work.

I work in a lab, so we wear nitrile gloves a lot and it's normal, but when I have worked in archives they used cotton gloves. They can be found at many druggists in the beauty section. They are cooler than the rubber gloves so your hands don't sweat, and might look less clinical to an outsider. If anyone asks just tell them you wear them when handling paper because your skin is sensitive, I know of people with allergies who use them on occasion.

I also use noise-cancelling headphones, in some situations this is acceptable since it seems you are just listening to music. Maybe not so useful in a church setting, but some people can use them at work.

I work in a lab, so we wear nitrile gloves a lot and it's normal, but when I have worked in archives they used cotton gloves. They can be found at many druggists in the beauty section. They are cooler than the rubber gloves so your hands don't sweat, and might look less clinical to an outsider. If anyone asks just tell them you wear them when handling paper because your skin is sensitive, I know of people with allergies who use them on occasion.

Thank you. This is good advice. I am getting the results of my tests tomorrow so that might be a good time to bring it up. I'll look into it.

New Threads

Top Bottom