• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

PANS/PANDAS: Symptoms, Causes, & Treatments

anonX

PANS can be triggered by viruses, bacteria, mold, allergies, and even emotional trauma and stress!

Some form of anxiety is almost always present in children with PANS or PANDAS. Often, the child has an initial terror or panic over something that develops into a general anxiousness over the course of the condition.

This may take the form of:
  • Separation anxiety (from a person or, less commonly, an object)
  • Generalized anxiety
  • Irrational fears or worries separate from those specifically related to compulsions
  • A specific phobia

Behavioral (Developmental) Regression

Regression is defined as a change in behavior or activity that is significantly different than the child’s biological and previously established emotional/developmental age. When a child develops PANS/PANDAS, he or she may lose the ability to draw the same way or even start using “baby talk”.

The way these changes are most easily observed is in schoolwork, especially writing or artistic assignments.

Children with severe symptoms of PANS/PANDAS are suffering from extreme anxiety (separation or generalized) and obsessional fears. The OCD symptoms prevent the child from attending school, playing with friends/alone, and accomplishing tasks, such as showering or toileting.

Children with severe symptoms of PANS/PANDAS are suffering from extreme anxiety (separation or generalized) and obsessional fears. The OCD symptoms prevent the child from attending school, playing with friends/alone, and accomplishing tasks, such as showering or toileting. Because of the separation anxiety, the child is reluctant to leave the house and sticks closely to parents – following them into the bathroom and insisting on sleeping in the parents’ bed (or having the parent sleep in his). In addition to the OCD and anxiety symptoms, the child may have extreme irritability, increased aggression and emotional lability, and a dramatic personality change.

I had extreme separation anxiety until the age of 13. I could basically sit in the shopping trolley and get anxious if my mom turned behind me. How can I remember this, as I probably was 2 years? You remember trauma! I remember playing a football game and always looking at the audience to see that my father was still there. There are so many examples of my separation anxiety, and it wasn't a normal behaviour. I don't know if this is PANS/PANDAS, but I did develop the lack in social communication similar to what high functional autistic have.

We can never as a toddler be overprotected against viruses (even live viruses in vaccines), bacteria, mold, allergies ... unfortunately some of us are more subtle due to our genes to the adverse effects.

New Threads

Top Bottom